rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Riding a Ferris Wheel
Driving over a big bridge
Being on a high balcony

These things totally wig me out. No way would I ever go up in a hot air balloon. Flying is no problem, or rides where I'm strapped in. Why do I have this irrational fear?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, but they terrify the hell out of me too. That I-10/410 interchange? I won't drive over it.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
you spelled wuss wrong in the poll. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These things totally wig me out. No way would I ever go up in a hot air balloon. Flying is no problem, or rides where I'm strapped in. Why do I have this irrational fear?

I don't know but I'll go on a hot air balloon ride with you.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
On a vaguely serious note (sorry). there is a theory... ach, I'll let the voice of knowledge tell you:

Douglas Adams said:
I've heard an idea proposed, I've no idea how seriously, to account for the sensation of vertigo. It's an idea that I instinctively like and it goes like this.

The dizzy sensation we experience when standing in high places is not simply a fear of falling. It's often the case that the only thing likely to make us fall is the actual dizziness itself, so it is, at best, an extremely irrational, even self-fulfilling fear. However, in the distant past of our evolutionary journey toward our current state, we lived in trees. We leapt from tree to tree. There are even those who speculate that we may have something birdlike in our ancestral line. In which case, there may be some part of our mind that, when confronted with a void, expects to be able to leap out into it and even urges us to do so. So what you end up with is a conflict between a primitive, atavistic part of your mind which is saying "Jump!" and the more modern, rational part of your mind which is saying, "For Christ's sake, don't!" In fact, vertigo is explained by some not as the fear of falling, but as the temptation to jump!
*sigh*
I miss him

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's because our height detectors are wired directly into our scrotums (scrota?). Why else would altitude give that tight sensation in the marble sac?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
must .... resist .... hypnotic ......... rabbit .......

iii, those aren't her eyes,...the rabbit suddenly grew a very very long mustache which is in obvious need of an ironing.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Riding a Ferris Wheel
Driving over a big bridge
Being on a high balcony

It's not irrational at all. Those places are high, man. Way up there. *shudder*

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
It's because our height detectors are wired directly into our scrotums (scrota?). Why else would altitude give that tight sensation in the marble sac?

Fizz, people like you are the reason people think I'm retarded.

"Oh yeah, well I have this friend who's a PROFESSOR and HE told me that your doo-dads are height detectors!"

"Nuh-uh."

"Yuh-huh. He even told me that."

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
mine started here:

I can't swim!
What are ya, crazy? the fall will probably kill you!

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate bridges O_O I always get these really paranoid thoughts that it's going to collapse underneath all of the weight... It also happens when I'm at places like Wonderland. You can't help but wonder how those really tall water rides, etc., can hold all of the weight that goes on it! *shudders* and what makes heights worse for me; those stupid stairs with the gaps in between? Ugh... I'm so incredibly freaked out by those things. I always think that my foot is somehow going to slip through the gap and I'll end up falling down, or through, or over the edge. Ack!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
WUSS! :)

I don't have a fear of heights in the least, but I will confess to being tempted to jump. Perhaps that confirms the evolutionary-theory-thing. For me, it's the same as when I'm driving on a crowded freeway and I start thinking "All I'd have to do is jerk this wheel one way or the other and my life would be over."

Nobody else gets that? Uh... excuse me. ::Jo leaves::

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I have to go get on a plane to Minneapolis, so let me say pre-emptively for everyone planning on posting "wuss" comments - up your butts with coconuts. BenPanced - I'm leaving you in charge of the coconuts for the rest of the day.