Keanu barada nitko!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/z...sting,0,2690006.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Keanu Reeves to star in the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I love this line:
The mean part of us wants to say that Reeves will play Gort.

Hey, I love the man's looks as much as the next straight woman or gay guy, but when he's not following a script . . . well, let's just say he's very nice to look at and leave it there :D

But I wonder how well this remake will turn out. For the most part, I hate remakes. I love the original versions of these movies, no matter how dated they are now.

Reaction score
Oh Jesus. Not one of my favourite films. Please. Anything but that!

Incidentally, as I've mentioned around AW before, my last hamster was named Gort. He died at the end of last year after a long and happy life sleeping, shitting, and munching on sunflower seeds.

Gort6.jpg

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
AARRGGHH!

What the heck is the point?! I KNOW there are terrific new scripts out there. The operative word being NEW.

[goes off ot buy a dozen cheap plates at the dollar store and SMASH them into smithereens in the dumpster]

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
Keanu Reeves?

Don't get me wrong, I dug The Matrix, Speed was reasonably cool, and Point Break was so stupid it transcended itself and became weirdly awesome.

But Keanu just doesn't have the chops for this. I mean, Klaatu the surfer dude? Are they insane?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"You dudes are, like, so screwed if you don't clean up your acts. I mean, wow, ya know?"

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, as I've mentioned around AW before, my last hamster was named Gort. He died at the end of last year after a long and happy life sleeping, shitting, and munching on sunflower seeds.

Gort6.jpg

Ah, what a life. We're the ones who have to go out and make the bucks to feed, litter and house the critters, yet some people call them "dumb animals". Not in my house. (Gort was a cutie. I love hamsters. So do my cats, which can be traumatic for the little guys.)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/z...sting,0,2690006.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Keanu Reeves to star in the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.
:Wha: :e2thud:

But I wonder how well this remake will turn out. For the most part, I hate remakes. I love the original versions of these movies, no matter how dated they are now.
I shudder at the idea of Keanu standing in for Michael Rennie. On the other hand, I can't help wondering if they will use the ending of original short story, Farewell to the Master? I could almost sorta see Keanu as a member of a race created by robots... :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If I may interrupt your little Keanu-bashing party...

====
I would love this if it were more faithful to the short story. I like Keanu and I like The Day the Earth Stood Still, so... I for one am happy! I could see this being pretty awesome with modern movie pyrotechnics and an updated script.
====

Regularly scheduled thrashing may continue.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Why? WHy? WHy?

Just rip my heart out why don't you?

And it has nothing to do with Keanu. I'd say that simply for the fact that it's a REMAKE.

WTF? Hollywood can't think of anything original any more? And why do they have to destroy everything I hold dear?

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's my main beef. For crap's sake, Hollywood, do something OR-IG-IN-AL !

Thank goodness they didn't mess with Forbibben Planet. They've already re-done Invasion of the Body Snatchers (again).

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
This is the director who did 'Urban Legends: Final Cut' and 'Exorcism of Emily Rose'

btw, What kind of animal is that? The cutest thing. It isn't a guinea pig, is it?

Oh Jesus. Not one of my favourite films. Please. Anything but that!

Gort6.jpg

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's my main beef. For crap's sake, Hollywood, do something OR-IG-IN-AL !
Egg Zach Tickle E. It's one thing to bring a TV show to the big screen 'coz you're changing mediums, but this doing remake after remake of old movies is nuts.

Just wait; someone will do a remake of Star Wars: A New Hope someday, mark my words. They'll probably sign the kid who plays Jake on Two and a Half Men as Luke.

I think I just made myself ill.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
As I saw the title of this thread I was soooo hoping it didn't mean what I thought it did...and then to my horror, it did. :cry:

Alls I can say is....whooaa. What exec was drunk when they even entertained the thought of remaking this movie? Maybe if Keanu plays the chalkboard Professor Barnhardt writes his equations on...

Acckk there's already a page for it!

Next up: 2001: A Space Odyssey directed by Paul Anderson.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding. I have it on DVD and it occupies a place of honour in my collection. It's one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

I suppose there's a certain legitimacy in introducing great stories to a new generation in a way that doesn't come across as dated, but Hollywood rarely pulls it off. Far too often they lose whatever it was that made the original so good. I fear the same thing will happen here, and with the soon to be released remake of The Omega Man: I Am Legend

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
And not to be out done, they're remaking The Illustrated Man.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=43692

My Kingdom for something new and original.

Honestly I am in favor of remaking the Illustrated Man.

Also, why this huge cry for "originality?" There's nothing new under the sun. As writers we recycle the same themes over and over again because we're all HUMAN and the things we all care about and die over remain the same no matter how many generations pass. When we tell a story, we're just regurgitating the same themes in a way that makes sense to us. So what's so wrong about taking an old book or an old movie and updating it in a way that appeals to today's audience?

The best production of Macbeth I've ever seen was done in a WWII setting. Nobody was crying about that.