Herb Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the situation: my main character is being held captive out it the countryside by a group of bandits. In order to escape she needs to incapacitate them, and has the opportunity to introduce something into the food they are cooking. She (unlike her creator) has extensive knowledge of herbs. What could she find around that would take them out so they would be unable to pursue her? I'm thinking of a laxative/emetic rather than fatal poison. Time of year - early summer.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Lily-of-the-valley might do--it's a springtime plant that grows in France. Check out the symptoms of poisoning here.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You might research the various types of types of datura. (Like Jimson Weed)

They can cause disorientation which lasts for hours, but aren't fatal except in high doses. It would totally incapacitate someone, and you could also have some fun with descriptions of effects.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Good suggestions folks.
Dogsbane and Cascara are both described as bitter so might be detected in food

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
mayapple

will damn near kill you. it grows in the u.s.--farther east than kansas--iowa, missouri, like that. jimpson weed will really screw with the mind. it grows in the southwest. it blooms about now. pretty plant. the seeds are in a prickly burr shaped pod. of course there is alwyas peyote. and in an indoor setting there is a plant called "dumb cane" --decorative but supposed to cause numbness or inability to speak. my grandmother used to grow that as a houseplant. we were always going to experiment with it on our littler cousins. kind of glad we didn't--s6

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You might research the various types of types of datura. (Like Jimson Weed)

They can cause disorientation which lasts for hours, but aren't fatal except in high doses. It would totally incapacitate someone, and you could also have some fun with descriptions of effects.

I second the datura. You could have a lot of fun with that.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
datura

used to be planted as an ornamental in my old college. came the hippy days and it was exterminated because of its 'powers and abilities.'. this summer i was visiting the campus and had to grin when i saw it was back in the campus flowerbeds.--s6 ps--i think this is what my dad called jimpson weed. hell on cattle.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
will damn near kill you. it grows in the u.s.--farther east than kansas--iowa, missouri, like that.

An addition about the mayapple--the fruits are edible, but the rest of the plant (including the seeds in the fruits) are poisonous.

Tomato and potato plants are related to the nightshades. It's the leaves you want to avoid eating. There's a story that potatoes took a long time to catch on in England after their initial introduction because some royal chef didn't realize it was the potatoes you eat, not the leaves, and served a mess of potato greens up to the queen or king or whoever. It made everyone who ate it sick. Sorry I don't have the details on that story!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks
I went with the Jimson Weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.