Can't they just give grandma a brake?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
No, they want to jack up the price because she's old and a woman. This just irks me to no end how some companies try to take advantage of old people.

Back story: I gave my other car (my baby) to my mom several months ago because she needed safe and reliable transportation to and from work. Yep, she's seventy-five and works for the Azland courts. Well the brakes began to squeal like a pig and so I asked her to visit a reputable shop to get an estimate. It was her choice where to go.

They said (reputable shop), cost of replacing brakes: $650
My reaction: WTF

Excuse me? I checked the internet and found several places (shops) that run around $99 or the max of $150.

So I called around and settled for one place that will replace her brakes for about $99 (excluding taxes, etc.). But still this is a much better deal that what she was getting quoted.

Why is it that some establishments think they can jack up the prices just because the customer is older? And/or is it also because she's a woman?

:rant:

My mom believes that just because she's a woman that she'll get ripped off.

True? Or myth?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I sent my car in years ago to have a motor mount replaced on the engine block. I thought the guy was a friend (he was a regular at my bar), but when I went to pick it up, he'd also--without permission--taken it upon himself to replace the mounts on the transmission, and oh, I can't remember what all he did, but it also had two quarts too much oil in it (never asked for an oil change, don't think you need to drain it to change a mount), and he tried to present me a bill for $1200. I paid him the parts and labor for the one thing I'd asked him to do and told him to stuff the rest up his craw. He tried to argue with me about it, but when I set a bunch of shots in front of him, and brought him a steak dinner and then presented him with the bill, he said, "I didn't order all that!"

I said, "Neither did I." He dropped the bill, I comped his meal.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's the truth. I have a close friend who is easily convinced she needs things for her car that she doesn't and she's sucked right in. Every spring she shells out over $700 on her car (only 3 or 4 years old) for "upkeep" such as new plug wires (and a zillion other ridiculous things). I had a truck that was 10 years old and I never put new spark plug wires on it...but she has it done very frickin' spring. Totally oblivious and won't listen to anyone that says she doesn't.

But this garage continues to rip her off...just because she's female and easily swayed.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ugh. I sent my car in years ago to have a motor mount replaced on the engine block. I thought the guy was a friend (he was a regular at my bar), but when I went to pick it up, he'd also--without permission--taken it upon himself to replace the mounts on the transmission, and oh, I can't remember what all he did, but it also had two quarts too much oil in it (never asked for an oil change, don't think you need to drain it to change a mount), and he tried to present me a bill for $1200. I paid him the parts and labor for the one thing I'd asked him to do and told him to stuff the rest up his craw. He tried to argue with me about it, but when I set a bunch of shots in front of him, and brought him a steak dinner and then presented him with the bill, he said, "I didn't order all that!"

I said, "Neither did I." He dropped the bill, I comped his meal.
:roll: I love a success story. I hate wankers who try to take advantage of women or older people. What will my mom do in the future when I'm not around? She's of good Irish stock and I know she'll be fine, but I do worry so.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
My dad always goes to the same mechanic. I used the same one. Every time we took the car there, there was 'something else' wrong with it. Now, I believe the guy, he's an honest guy and it's a good shop, but for some reason when I go there I spend a fortune on car repair. To hear him talk about it, you'd think my car was ready to fall apart. I go for an oil change, it winds up costing me $150 for something or other. The labor is what kills you. But he does call if there's something he wants to fix and it's not on the list of stuff - he doesn't want to do anything I don't agree to, so he's good like that.

I recently found out that a former neighbor has just opened a shop, just down the road. Took the car in today, he had it done in half an hour. Told me a couple of things to pay attention to, like I'd need new tires soon, and he greased the front end for me, since the ball joints squeak and are starting to wear. I know he wouldn't have let me drive the car if it wasn't safe.

Total cost - $25. He charged me $2 for labor. And he said that for the miles and age of my car, the engine looked remarkably clean and was in good shape.

So there ya go. I have a new mechanic.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
my aunt's friends with her car dealer and she took her SUV in because the sunroof was leaking and they replaced all the trimmings and everything inside the car for free.

She is sooo not easily swayed about stuff like that. She's a negotiator.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
This is a lesson for all the dads with daughters who want to date some grease monkey: Let her! She'll learn a lot. I spent a good part of my teen years in a shop working on old Cameros. And the best lesson I learned was: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Do teen boys even work on cars anymore?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
True. Hubby and I tried it as an experiment one day - both went into the same garage and asked for a quote for changing the brakes. Shockingly enough, they quoted me 50% more.

In the end, we just bought the disks and did it ourselves.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
True. Hubby and I tried it as an experiment one day - both went into the same garage and asked for a quote for changing the brakes. Shockingly enough, they quoted me 50% more.

In the end, we just bought the disks and did it ourselves.
I would but I don't have a wench that fits the job.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I had a mechanic back in MI that I loved. A friend recommeded them for their honesty. My car was making the most horrendous clacking noise. I took it there, thinking that with a noise like that I was looking at big bucks. I came back the next day and the guy said that it was some unnecessary shield somewhere and he'd taken it out. My bill? $10.

Then I drove through a puddle and my engine light went on and the car would only start sporadically. Took it back to the same place, expecting the worst. Picked it up the next day. My bill? $15. He just took out the spark plugs and let 'em dry.

I'm scared to have to find another mechanic fter such good experiences with that one.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Many garages rip people off no matter their age. I had new tires put on my old truck a couple years back. They noticed a bulb out in the left taillight and asked if I wanted them to change it. I asked how much, they said $60. I told them to forget it.

I walked a couple doors down to a parts store and bought a 2 pack of bulbs for $1.50. I walked back to pick up my pick up (heh-heh) after the tires were mounted. It took me less than five minutes to change the bulb when I got home.

So many are rip off artists. When you find an honest one, stick with him/her.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
My dad didn't learn about cars but my mom did from her dad so I learn from her. I can check the oil and the tire pressure and whatever man.

And come on, I'm not stupid. I know enough to lock my doors when I get in the car especially at night especially in a sketchy parking lot.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
I know a bit about cars from my brother, who works in an autobody shop when he's home from college and I always ask him about things before I pay for them. Or I look them up just to make sure I don't get taken. I even check my own oil and put air in my tires...and, holy crap, I put gas in, too! A lot of guys think that, because women don't usually know a lot about cars, they can easily take them for several hundred. So I always make sure I get the best deal before I put any money down.

Luckily, I have a great mechanic. I got in my first ever car accident last year and, instead of taking my car to the auto body shop to fix, I talked to my mechanic who told me he could do it for $200 vs. nearly a thousand that it would have cost at an auto body shop. I picked up the car a couple days later and my mechanic did an absolutely beautiful job. So if you find an honest and good mechanic, definitely stick with them.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My dad didn't learn about cars but my mom did from her dad so I learn from her. I can check the oil and the tire pressure and whatever man.

And come on, I'm not stupid. I know enough to lock my doors when I get in the car especially at night especially in a sketchy parking lot.
But do you wear stretchy pants when working on your car?