Name Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
So I can't decide on a good name myself, and I've spent weeks trying to get the character to point out a good one, so I thought I'd turn to the illuminated YA corner of AW for some advice.

Here's the scoop. My other MC, who's linked intricately to the MC, Braden, refuses to admit his name. He's the firstborn son in one of the two most prominent families in town. His sister's name is Jade, and his family is steeped in the occult. He's college aged, a bit of a daredevil, but also extremely ethical and good natured. The sort of guy that was extremely popular in high school, because he's that brainy guy that's a good athlete. He's the type to throw himself in the path of a vampire (hypothetically) if he knows someone else might end up getting hurt if he doesn't.

His mother is a skewed perspective on the old ice princess persona. She's aristocratic/rich/cultured, a powerful witch/sorceror, and has the sensibilities of someone born from a noble house. She's at the top of the social hierarchy, and everyone else in town make up the peasantry.

Originally, I was going to name him Mal, short for Malachite. (His sister's name is Jade - the whole green thing). But he's not a Mal. I wanted something strong sounding for his name. Like a Hunter or a Caleb - but the former doesn't fit, and the latter I've used already.

Wow. Hi long rambling post. So uhm, anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I've scoured baby name lists, the most popular name lists by year, etc, but I haven't found anything that grabbed my attention.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
All right, I'm just going to start spitting stuff out here. Some of them will be really bad.

Asher (I have an Asher, and I can't recommend it enough. Beautiful name. You could call him Ash.)
Slate
Trent
Vince
Amos
Oliver
Archer
Sawyer (I had a Sawyer, too. ;))
Sterling
Cameron
Marcus
Pike
Seth
Jett
Lime
Skyler
Fin (I have a Fin....)
Lucas
Orion (One of my favorite names.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Originally, I was going to name him Mal, short for Malachite. (His sister's name is Jade - the whole green thing). But he's not a Mal. I wanted something strong sounding for his name. Like a Hunter or a Caleb - but the former doesn't fit, and the latter I've used already.
Ah, I was going to suggest Jasper to go with Jade, but except for my Jasper character, most tend not to fit what you're looking for. Personally, I like Mal & think it sounds better than Caleb for a strong-sounding name, but maybe I'm just biased by Firefly....

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I was going to suggest Jasper to go with Jade, but except for my Jasper character, most tend not to fit what you're looking for. Personally, I like Mal & think it sounds better than Caleb for a strong-sounding name, but maybe I'm just biased by Firefly....

See, I think that's exactly my problem with the name. I completely identify Mal with Firefly (the best show ever, or something). ;) I just can't get past that.

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
Malcolm
Drake
Donovan
Everett

I'll come back with better ones.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sticking with the stone names: Alexandrite (can be Alex). Jet (which also makes a very pretty girl's name, but can be strong & fast like the vehicle, so could work for a guy too).

Girls are much easier to name based off gemstone names.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I said Jet! But with two T's. Great minds think alike, man.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Augh! Jet! I love it. Sounds perfect for this guy. And Jade and Jet, both short, both "J" names...they complement each other well. But one "t", not two for Jet. One "t" seems stronger; two "t's" looks like you're trying too hard.

P.S. I have a Sawyer in my WIP, Shady! Love that name :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
What's your Sawyer like? Mine is very sweet, super loyal...not the smartest.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought Cale was a strong name. I love the name Orion too, but I always envision a character named Orion to be gentle and the opposite of a daredevil.

I love Firefly. I'd be reluctant to use Mal too.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
What's your Sawyer like? Mine is very sweet, super loyal...not the smartest.

My Sawyer is super attractive in a boy-next-door-hottie kind of way and he is very sweet as well. He is a kind of savior for my MC and gets her out of a very precarious situation. He's very smart. And an athlete. He's in for a heartbreak, but he'll be okay with it, so he must be pretty darn thoughtful as well. He's a good guy.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
He sounds pretty perfect. :) Mine's Josiah's best friend...Josiah's diabetic and angsty and a drug dealer and generally drives Sawyer crazy, but Sawyer loves him and takes care of him. They're kinda cute. ;)

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm loving a few of them in particular. Asher, Jett, Cale in particular.

I'm just wondering if he's a Jett, mostly. I think I'm leaning towards Asher the most at the moment. Ash is a great name. :)

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Wow, how weird I just put in the other thread that Asher was one of my favorite names to the point where I considered having a third child so I would have boys named Ezra and Asher.

since that is so not going to happen the female character in my next book is going to be named Asher.

BTW, pick up any and all of the name books by Pamela Satran and Linda Rosencrantz. The older ones beyond Jennifer and Jason, and Beyond Jennifer and Jason, Madison and Montana are fascinating just to read. The newest volume, Cool Names for Babies I keep beside my computer, helps me not name all the just wondered-into-the-story-for-one-scene-characters Emily.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, how weird I just put in the other thread that Asher was one of my favorite names to the point where I considered having a third child so I would have boys named Ezra and Asher.

since that is so not going to happen the female character in my next book is going to be named Asher.

BTW, pick up any and all of the name books by Pamela Satran and Linda Rosencrantz. The older ones beyond Jennifer and Jason, and Beyond Jennifer and Jason, Madison and Montana are fascinating just to read. The newest volume, Cool Names for Babies I keep beside my computer, helps me not name all the just wondered-into-the-story-for-one-scene-characters Emily.

I LOVE those books. All baby name books. I'm obsessed.

Yeah, Asher is a pretty cool name. He's the brother-like MC non-POV character in Sublime...my MC's pretty convinced he's God. He might be.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I had one really crappy name book when I was pregnant- it was something like what people will think about your baby's name, and they surveyed people about names to see what they thought. Only the people only thought really dumb superficial things.

Basically the most famous person who had that name would be the one they thought of. Like for George it would say - If you name you son George people will envision him as a crusty old president with wooden teeth and a wig. Or if you name your son Arnold, people will imagine he might be an Austrian body builder.

I don't think they surveyed real people, it was a dumb book. They thought my son Ezra would be an elderly bible prophet with a beard.

I love naming characters. And I love all Ashers!

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm torn between Asher, and another name my roommate suggested.

Gentry.

I'm really kindof digging that. It fits with something the MC's mother would have named her child. Frigging Gentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.