Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Prayer for Owen Meany.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I found a book on the ground while I was walking my dog earlier tonight. It's called 'Art of Deception' by Ridley Pearson I think. I started reading it.
I need more books. I should get a dog.

Finished The Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais last night and started on Power Play by Joseph Finder.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
The Angel by Carla Neggers

This is both a new author for me, and a genre that I don't normally read. The story is slow going, but I'm determined to get at least half way through before closing it forever, or deciding it was a jewel in the raw. The inside jacket blurb was right up my alley, so I'm crossing fingers that I won't be disappointed.

To me, John Grisham is the same way--slow starts that are a bit confusing, then a story you can't put down *shrug*.

WordlyVision

The Ideas keep coming...
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Warriors: Into the Wild, by Erin Hunter, and am now a little more than half-way through the second book of the first series, "Fire and Ice"

The series was recommended to me by a fellow writer, and considering it was in the age group that I write for, why not? :)

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
WordlyVision: I didn't like that series much. IMO, it was more marketing/hype than anything. And they just keep recycling the plots from book to book. It is a miracle that no one seems to get tired of the same old same old. By recycling, I don't even mean recycling creatively. All they do is have what had happened to some cats to happen again to their children. The characterization is quite poor -- every cat acts like every other cat. You can't tell them apart. No distinct, memorable personalities. The description passages managed to sound like purple prose without even using big words.

At first, at least the suspense pulled me in. But as the plots got increasingly recycled, even that no longer did the job. I think the only reason it sells is because of the marketing strategy. Every book sounds like a giant infomercial, "want to know the secret? Buy this book!" Okay, there is nothing wrong about a story that instantly pulls the reader in, but the problem is, it is all the stuff OUTSIDE the covers, not within, that pulls the reader in. The franchising, spin-offs, as well as "sneak previews" and other gimmicks all play a role. Quite frankly, everything BUT the story itself does the selling.

Sorry for ranting :Shrug: It's not directed towards you.

WordlyVision

The Ideas keep coming...
Registered
Reaction score
No worries... I actually have my own "thoughts" on the series as well. To its credit, it's a good children's series in some aspects, but I can see where you're coming from. There's quite a bit of flaws besides the recycled plot concept. It's not only that... they drag on the main storyline which was established in the first book over the course of the series (and even then, the main hook that got you there in the first place isn't answered most of the time).

I'd go on too... but I'll save my ranting for another appropriate thread sometime.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few books I've finished in the last month or two:

Regeneration, by Pat Barker.

I listened to that book in audio and found it excellent though depressing.

I'm currently half way through "Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell".

IMHO I found that unreadable. Clever, maybe, but no surprises and way too long. I gave it away.

I've just read 3 plays by Wole Soyinka; The lion and the jewel, The trials of Nero, and Nero's Metamorphosis. Enjoyed the last two immensely!

Have just started Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time? If so, I envy you. I wish I could read it again for the first time.

Yup, the very first time. Loved it, and I took away a lot more than an excellent story from the experience, too. :)

Now, I'm reading American Gods. Also for the first time.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I loved The Cider House Rules by John Irving. Read it twice. So much better than the movie (as most books are). Also read Hotel New Hampshire by him. Good, but not as good as The Cider House Rules. So I look forward to reading A Prayer For Owen Meany, once I get through Acceptable Risk by Robin Cook (not one of his better ones. Some good research into the latter part of New England's seventeenth century, though).

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

I'm thinking of reading A Widow for One Year after I'm through with American Gods.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*and the TBR pile grows...* :D

Oh, and I'm also re-reading On Writing. I don't know how many times this is. But I always pick it up when I need to feel inspired to get down to work.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Mine is sitting within arm's reach, right on top of my printer! :D

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I just finished Charlaine Harris DEAD UNTIL DAWN. Liked it so much i bought all the rest in the series.

Right now I'm reading NIGHT LIFE by Caitlin Kitteridge. Up to Chapter Four and loving it!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Rudy Rucker's 'Ware tetralogy (software, wetware, freeware, realware). I'm loving it! Last week I sent Rudy an email asking a question about how he did some of the character development for his latest book, Postsingular, and he emailed me back, which caused me to be a swooning fangirl. Oh yeah, you can read Postsingular for free on Rudy's website--it's great!