What are you reading?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos, by Donna Andrews, the third in her series of mystery cozies that started with Murder with Peacocks. Fun reading. I read the first and bought all the sequels.

--Ken

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
just finished 2 more books on the civil war--terrible swift sword by catton and the illustrated history of the civil war--by geoffery ward. i am fascinated by the eccentricities of the various generals. george h. thomas is my favorite. he seems so normal. dick ewell is next--he seems so nuts. frances barlow is up there.

couldn't find a civil war book that i hadn't read at our town library this a.m. i have the flu again so i couldn't drive the 30 miles to the county library. on a chance i checked something that sort of called to me --("yoo-hoo, shake, over here!"-- maybe it was the fever.)

it is a novel written in 1941 about brittain at the very beginning of the war. i am loving it so far. characters are a bit flat--outside of the heroine who is a plain, 42 year old spinster who has lost her home to a german bomb. the feeling for the times is great. kind of cheery and pip pip for my taste but think how frightened everyone was then. thery had no idea they were ggoing to win. germany looked pretty invincible and france had just fallen. the us was not in it yet. they were going it alone. the same time virginia took her dip in the ouse, because she could see no future but war.

of course they wrote about humanity and inspiration and the happy stuff. the author is elizabeth goudge (?). hope i got that right. anyone ever hear of her? she is too damn good to be out of print---imho---s6

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
oh--yeah. and the farfarers by farley mowat. i like this one. i am giving up on 'wild card quilt'--too much lecture i guess. kind of slowed down on the carol burnett autobiography. i might finish it. have one on sam cooke but i can't get into it. --s6

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
just finished 2 more books on the civil war--terrible swift sword by catton and the illustrated history of the civil war--by geoffery ward. i am fascinated by the eccentricities of the various generals. george h. thomas is my favorite. he seems so normal. dick ewell is next--he seems so nuts. frances barlow is up there.

couldn't find a civil war book that i hadn't read at our town library this a.m. i have the flu again so i couldn't drive the 30 miles to the county library. on a chance i checked something that sort of called to me --("yoo-hoo, shake, over here!"-- maybe it was the fever.)

it is a novel written in 1941 about brittain at the very beginning of the war. i am loving it so far. characters are a bit flat--outside of the heroine who is a plain, 42 year old spinster who has lost her home to a german bomb. the feeling for the times is great. kind of cheery and pip pip for my taste but think how frightened everyone was then. thery had no idea they were ggoing to win. germany looked pretty invincible and france had just fallen. the us was not in it yet. they were going it alone. the same time virginia took her dip in the ouse, because she could see no future but war.

of course they wrote about humanity and inspiration and the happy stuff. the author is elizabeth goudge (?). hope i got that right. anyone ever hear of her? she is too damn good to be out of print---imho---s6

I quite like the sound of these books. :) Maybe I'll read them one day.

OddButInteresting

Officially a practicing Novelist!
Registered
Reaction score
Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones

And what a fantastic book this is! I highly recommend it to any comic book enthusiast. It's informative, but light. Rather than trying to ram more historical facts down your throat than you can swallow, Jones tells the history of the superhero comic book as if it were a superhero story in itself.

This may sound insane, but any hater of Schumacher's Batman is likely to discover a new found respect for his films. I always loved em', but reading Men of Tomorrow has confirmed my loyalty FOREVER (oh, that was just BAD).

180th post! Whahay!

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham, the guy who wrote The Hours. My SIL gave it to me for Christmas. Anyone read it? Opinions?

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
"The God of small things" by Arundhati Roy. I read it several years ago but it left absolutely no impression on me. When my son's girlfriend (who has excellent taste in both literature and men - if I say so myself!) gave it to me for Xmas I felt I had to read it, and I am now enjoying it enormously! Can't put it down, or only for my addictive doses of AW!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Re-reading The Use of the Self , by F.M. Alexander who invented he's own Technique, of reeducating our bodies (ourselves) to move in a more free flowing and coordinated way without involving harmful tension.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Murikami. I really didn't think I was going to like it, but now that I'm halfway through I'm having to accept that I was wrong about that.

ETA: Okay, so I really, really like it.

Last edited:

Fanatic Rat

Sometimes I didn't even give a damn
Registered
Reaction score
Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger (again. While I do love the book, I'm using it mainly so as a sort of guide to short story writing--yes, I know I'm going to have to pick up some different books).

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

I just finished Macbeth in my APLAC class.

When I get my hands on them, I plan on reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and Dragonflight by Anne McCaffery when I can get my hands on these books.

Oh, and the various stories posted by my acquaintances on FA.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Bad Girls {26 Writers Misbehave}, edited by Ellen Sussman

and

Heartsick, by Chelsea Cain. She spoke to my writers group late last year & she's a real hoot, can't wait to dig into this one!

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
As She Climbed Across the Table, by Jonathan Lethem, which should take me, oh, another hour or so. And then I'm going to go and reread some Tad Williams, I think. It's feeling like an epic fantasy kind of week.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's funny in parts, but so far (I'm only a quarter into it) I mostly think she's a bit of a knob.

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
I solemnly swore in January I wasnt go to buy any more books until I'd read all the ones on my - tottering - books-to-read pile (in which there are real pippins that I'm looking forward to reading!). So of course when I was in a charity shop the other week, I came across a book with the wonderful title The Ladies of Grace Adieu (by one Susanna Clarke), which the blurb on the back described as "Jane Austen meets Angela Carter". A stronger woman than I might have resisted. I did not.
It is fabulous. Delicious language, and reworked legends and fairy tales. Highly recommended. :)

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
just finished King's From a Buick 8. couldn't put it down.

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
I am rereading Marian Keyes' Angels. And I'm doing my best to get through Self Editing for Fiction Writers.

pickman

Registered
Reaction score
Currently going through my old copies of Interzone magazine, since I have renewed my subcription, I have hardly had time to read even half of the stories.