What are you reading?

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
Shock and Awe by David Isaak. Go find a post by David I and click on the link in his sig to find out more.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow. A bit flawed (ain't we all?) but I ended up enjoying the ride so much I ordered the rest of the series from Amazon this weekend. Plus they had a "4 for 3" special, so with free shipping I got 4 books for $20!

She makes you want to fall in love with a demon. :D

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
Just read Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robison. Recently re-read Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady by Florence King. Both really good. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime--also fantastic.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Just finished Memories of Ice...what a heart-shattering conclusion. And I thought Deadhouse Gates was depressing; it pales in comparison to this. I saw all the signs, but I denied them, and I think that made it all the worse. I'm not sure if I'm capable of moving to the next in the series, not after these losses.

I'm definitely stepping away from Malazan for awhile.

What I'll read next, I have no idea. I need to find something cheerful to read.

~DragonHeart~

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje, and Open Closed Open by Yehuda Amichai.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"A Time To Be Born" a Star Trek/New Generation novel. I don't normally read these things...

I'm most the way through, and I've been enjoying it. I know these are written by professional writers and all, but still I have this nagging feeling... am I sinning or something?
Starting on "A Time To Die," the second book in this eight-book series. I didn't expect to like this stuff this much.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
Starting on "A Time To Die," the second book in this eight-book series. I didn't expect to like this stuff this much.

*laughs* There comes to a time when you have to admit it: you are that sort of geeky fan. And no, it is not a sin, just occasionally embarrassing to admit to in public. ;)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I know I said I wouldn't, but I started House of Chains anyways. I'm about 300 pages in. Some interesting background to what had been a minor character of Deadhouse Gates. He's now a major player, it seems. Hard to tell sometimes, but the fact that he's still alive is a fair sign.

~DragonHeart~

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I'm reading The Free Bards by Mercedes Lackey. It's a compilation of three of her Bardic novels that form a continuous story. I wish I could say I was reading more sophisticated fare, but I'm quite fond of fantasy, and I am in the process of reading through my library's fantasy section(I didn't have a computer or a TV for a few weeks).

The Catcher in the Rye

Love, love, love it, but does anyone want to explain the title to me?
Yeah, that's one of my favorite novels as well, there was a thread here about it floating around here for a while. The title refers to a song that Holden repeats a few times in the novel. He actually misquotes the line "When a body meet a body coming through the rye.." for "When a body catch a body....." and takes it to literally mean catching people running through a field of rye, to stop them from running off a cliff. He says he would like to be the the catcher in the rye, to stop people from running of the cliff.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
another home decor book. a garden book on trees and shrubs and one on solving weed problems. "Life in a Corsican Village." "Early Days In Kansas." "Seashells Of The Northern Hemisphere." the seashells book is mainly photos. very nice in the dead of winter. they are harvesting olives in corsica. i am loving this one. oh--and john brown is making things hot for the pro-slavery guys. rightly so, but he could have been a bit more diplomatic in his approach. hacking them to bits with rusty bayonets and pruning saws strikes me as over- stating the point-but i guess that is why they called it bleeding kansas-ss

Reaction score
Speak not against the Koontz!

(Although his newer stuff is a bit "Look at me and all the big words I know before I disappear up my own arse!")

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Effigy, by Alissa York. Great read.

I'm now reading What is the What, by Dave Eggers. I'm only a few chapters in, but wow. Devastating.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Anita Shreve's The Last Time They Met. Wow. Normally, I pick up a new book as soon as I'm finished with the last one -- like chain smoking :) -- but she's one of the few authors who won't let me do that. I need some time to recover. But, today I'm moving on to All He Ever Wanted; my recovery time is short. The only thing I'm worried about is that she won't have a new book out by the time I get caught up with her. What'll I do then??

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Anita Shreve's The Last Time They Met. Wow. Normally, I pick up a new book as soon as I'm finished with the last one -- like chain smoking :) -- but she's one of the few authors who won't let me do that. I need some time to recover. But, today I'm moving on to All He Ever Wanted; my recovery time is short. The only thing I'm worried about is that she won't have a new book out by the time I get caught up with her. What'll I do then??

I read her book "Light on Snow" and throughly enjoyed it. Went out and bought "All He Ever Wanted" and found it disapointing. Wondering how you feel about it. Light on Snow was written about my town although with some fictionalization. I live in Croydon with Serenity Carpets, the houses she described and the Fire Station that has Bingo every Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill. It's good. The only thing that irks me is its similarity to my own wip (which I wrote, obviously, before I read it *sigh*).

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I read her book "Light on Snow" and throughly enjoyed it. Went out and bought "All He Ever Wanted" and found it disapointing. Wondering how you feel about it. Light on Snow was written about my town although with some fictionalization. I live in Croydon with Serenity Carpets, the houses she described and the Fire Station that has Bingo every Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Well, I finally got to the top of the waiting list for Andrea Portes' Hick, so All He Ever Wanted will have to wait a couple of days. The only one of Shreve's I haven't been head-over-heels for so far is The Pilot's Wife -- a little too commercial for me, especially compared to the rest of her catalog.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just finished Dead Man Rising (#2 in Saintcrow's "Dante Valentine" series). Terrific, nonstop action, gut-wrenching emotion. I won't spoil the climax but my whole body clenched and my heart practically seized up. Incredible.

And then she wrote a long, tedious denouement.

Augh.

I swear I could've lived without her crossing every t and dotting every i. Just half a chapter would've been enough.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally got to the top of the waiting list for Andrea Portes' Hick, so All He Ever Wanted will have to wait a couple of days. The only one of Shreve's I haven't been head-over-heels for so far is The Pilot's Wife -- a little too commercial for me, especially compared to the rest of her catalog.

Well when you do get around to reading All He Ever Wanted, let me know if you liked it.. I got half way through the book and never picked it up again.
I read Light on Snow in one night.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'm halfway through Angela's Ashes and I'm pleasantly surprised. I figured with all the hype I'd find it boring, but I whipped through the first half yesterday.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Although it is not a book I bought, I just finished reading "Buster's Christmas Letter."

It's a true story about a dog that survived being lost, paralyzed, and heart failure. My brother sent it to me for Christmas, since his own dog's name is Buster. It was a easy read. Read it in a few hours. Good for when you want some warm, fuzzy, light reading.