What are you reading?

Reaction score
51K7B6NF7EL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn: The Most Happy - Eric Ives

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

I keep hearing about how good this series is, so I finally bought the first book and...didn't read it. XD Until now, that is. Not too far in at this point but so far I like it. A bit bloodier than I usually like but I can put up with it in writing, just not in visual media.

~DragonHeart~

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
ONE FOOT ON A BANANA PEEL by Judy and Peter Bagshaw

Want some drama? The author almost died. Hello!

I've loved Judy's writing voice for years. I'm not even a fan of her genre, but I've read and enjoyed many of her books. But, um, if you're already an author, and something like this happens to you, is it fortunate or unfortunate? And do you write about it? Well, if you live, I guess it's fortunate (in a way), and you definitely write about it.

Judy was already a storyteller. Born one, as the best are, and practicing for years. Now she's got this. The result is compelling and very useful. Streptococcus A bacteria infection in her lower abdomen, septicemic, slowly dying. I almost lost my first wife to a similar condition, so I know it's nasty. Rushing the patient to ICU while the battery of doctors goes "WTF?" That little sentence is my description of the experience. Judy does a much better job of writing about it.

Judy's book focuses on advice of a medical and legal nature that everyone should know. The time to prepare for such things is before, not after, and I'm very glad Judy wrote this book because I never got around to it. I'd be even more glad if you'd read it. It's a shorty, okay? It will get you organized, now. I'm gonna say Judy was semi-organized, so she's able to draw both on what she did right and what she did wrong to help the rest of us. Especially since we probably don't all have families as close, supportive, and able to take charge as hers.

Please, visit http://onefootonabananapeel.homestead.com/ to learn more. You and your loved ones will be glad you did.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Okay, so, wow.

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
Started The Children of Men by P D James last night. I haven't seen the movie so it's all new to me. Interesting premise and starting sort of slow but I'm still curious. I've never felt that slow reads necessarily diminished my enjoyment in a book.

I finished True Evil by Greg Iles last Friday. I am a big Greg Iles fan. Anyway I wanted to get back to my local library to grab several more on my (ever growing) reading list and one of those was Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. In my haste in selecting my books, I grabbed a book that said "Blood" by an author named McCarthy. To my surprise Sunday night when I sat down to start the book, I had selected Blood Brothers by Gary McCarthy:guns: . It was a western and since I hadn't read one of those in a while I finished it on Tuesday. It was ok, but it was short.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"The Code Book" (fortunately no relation to any Dan Brown book) is a near-complete history of codes and ciphers and how they have affected history in general, from ancient times through both World Wars to present time. It has both the exact way things were encoded with letter and word substitution tables and whatnot, yet also tells how cracking encoded telegrams and radio transmissions affected the outcomes of wars. I'm not into history in general, but when it's technology related, I find it fascinating, and that's what makes this book interesting for me.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Pearl Harbor Ghosts, by Thurston Clarke.
Halsey's Typhoon.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The Pickens County Progress. The 4,000+ acre, 4,000+ houses housing development proposal is put off by the developer but he'll be back, though lots of residents are apparently against him. Around Atlanta another super-subdivision full of Ticky Tacky would hardly be noticed, but this is big news in a rural county with a population of 27,000.

And from a week or two ago (this one's even book related, sort-of), the library is supposedly at capacity usage, and they're hoping to start plans on making a second library in the county.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm right now in the middle of Into the Wild and Cider House Rules. Definitely enjoying both.

larocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
For 15 years there has been a fifth installment of The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy that I didn't even know about. I just read MOSTLY HARMLESS and it's excellent. Douglas Adams was one hell of a talent.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
For 15 years there has been a fifth installment of The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy that I didn't even know about. I just read MOSTLY HARMLESS and it's excellent. Douglas Adams was one hell of a talent.

You should try out his "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"

larocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Straka, I bought Mostly Harmless and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency at the same time. The used book store didn't have The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul, so it remains on my list. I missed Dirk Gently completely because I was too busy making money to read, and that's every bit as wrong-headed as it sounds. I'm catching up.

I've already read The Salmon of Doubt, the incomplete book that he would've probably converted from a Dirk Gently to a Hitchhiker if he'd had the time. I'm sure he finished the project in some other universes, but I don't know how to place an order with one of their bookstores.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finally made it through Gardens of the Moon. Not to say that I had trouble, but I was trying to prolong it so I'd have something to read during my midnight shifts at work. Now I'm on to the second volume, Deadhouse Gates. The cover is creepy.

~DragonHeart~

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently plowing through some nonfiction -- Britain in Revolution: 1625 to 1660. It's kind of dense going, but it's an era in history I've never known much about, so it feels good to finally be informed.

My family and friends usually supply me with some fiction at Christmas, so I guess in a couple weeks I'll find out what I'm reading next!

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust. It has the longest prologue in the history of evah. But so far, so good.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I've started my Christmas reading for this year. Finished Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich on Saturday. In the supermarket on the same day I saw a David Baldacci omnibus on sale containing Split Second and The Christmas Train. Bought it and have started on The Christmas Train.