What are you reading?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i am leaving for the library now. it is just around the corner from my house. it doesn't have a lot in the way of new books because the town is so small but i am going to have them order in that science book of ben's. i ordered the gettysburg book "killer angels". hope it is in.

the library was once a one room school house. i am on the library board. while i am there i have to measure for a new furnace filter, and put stump killer on a pesky piss elm coming up in my roses, too--s6

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald (the authorized edition). The man had a way with words. It is an iconic book, for good reason.

--Ken

P.S. My wife and I went to the video store this evening and rented a DVD of the 1974 Academy Award winning movie version of The Great Gatsby. On the one hand, I'd have to say the book is slight and the writing idiosyncratic. I can see why it was not well regarded when first published. But on the other hand, it is atmospheric (which is probably more appreciated by virtue of distance from the time in which the story is set) and has a distinctive voice.

Last edited:

Righting

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chapteread.com
the golden compass - philip pullman - good so far
road to wealth - suze orman - great!
the relic- preston and child - starting it tomorrow
jonathan strange & Mr norrell - susanna clarke - good

just finished memoirs of a geisha - Arthur Golden - great!

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Today I started reading The Black Powder War (Naomi Novik). This is the third of her Temeraire novels. :D

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf
Imajica - Clive Barker
A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Pontoon by Garrison Keillor. I is happy.

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
What are you reanding?

I finished Gone Baby Gone Saturday - I stay behind in my reading.

Started The Kite Runner Sunday. I think I'm going to like it, but couldn't read last night and I won't have much time for more until the weekend.

I haven't decided what is next. Every time a strike a book off of my to read list, I have usually added two to three more books.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam

It won the Giller last year (Canada's top literary award). Am enjoying it muchly. And I happen to know it is out in the states, as it is being published by my american publisher :) (Weinstein Books) - serious props to my publisher, who out of their 5 authors on their first list, 2 are Canadian.

Seriously check it out, it's some good stuff.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
oooh. That has just gone on my list to read.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody just handed me John Irvings "The Fourth Hand". I'll give it a try.

Fjm3eyes

Registered
Reaction score
I read . . .

differing portions of several books, thereby not finishing many. LOL Always something interesting. Right now, though, my focus seems to be on Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace and Mark Helperin's Memoir From Antproof Case.

red lantern

Registered
Reaction score
I have just started Ravenor Rogue by Dan Abnett, book 3 of 3. Its a story about a ragtag group of law enforcers set in the far future who are led by a man: Gideon Ravenor with phenomenal psychic abilities but is wholly confined to an enclosed floating chair because his body was almost entirely destroyed by the nearby explosion of a fire bomb.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Ultimate Suggestions by Darrell Bain. Boy, I could sure get some rep out of you people if I had a supply of that chemical on hand.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading on several different books over the last few days. I put down The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, but only because I couldn't get into the 19th Century period (I guess I'm used to the 1953 movie, still, where periods are concerned -- hits home a bit easier than 1890-something). The writing was excellent, but I just couldn't get into it.

Also I tried reading David Farland's Sons of the Oak, but I didn't much care for the writing itself. The story looked good, but the writing just did not flow properly for me.

I have, however, started reading and enjoying a work by one Jason Hightman, which was originally published in 2004. It's called The Saint of Dragons and is an old Advance Reading Copy I got from a used bookstore up the street. Although some of the subject matter (evil dragons -- I'm usually into good dragons) is not something I necessarily think highly of, I still like the way the writing kind of flows. Also, from the introduction and the first chapter, I find the writer tells the story very nicely.

Reaction score
Just bought this and can't wait to start it! I'll get my Friday chores done, make something to eat, then dive into the wonderful world of Russell Brand. *swoon*
41L0UZ1OCTL._SS500_.jpg

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm half way through 'Fall of Kings', the third book in David Gemmell's 'Troy' trilogy (co-written with his wife Stella, because sadly David died before he could complete it.)

I never thought I'd enjoy this type of book, but the first in the trilogy was lying around (my husband's an avid Gemmell fan) so I picked it up to have a browse, and was hooked from page one!
I got Fall of Kings for my birthday in September. My nephew had bought Lord of the Silver Bow in paperback, just excellent, and we couldn't wait for Shield of Thunder to be released on hardback. Then came news of Gemmell's death, which disappointed us terribly. Have you finished Fall of Kings yet?

-Derek

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Newton's letter' by John Banville, and now reading "The heart is a lonely hunter" by Carson McCullers. Can't believe she was only 20 when she wrote it!!!

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I got Fall of Kings for my birthday in September. My nephew had bought Lord of the Silver Bow in paperback, just excellent, and we couldn't wait for Shield of Thunder to be released on hardback. Then came news of Gemmell's death, which disappointed us terribly. Have you finished Fall of Kings yet?

-Derek

Yes, I've finished it. *sigh*. I sobbed my heart out at the bit with Helen and her children. David Gemmell was such a powerful and talented author - I'm starting to read his back catalogue now!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult because I'm in a Picoult frenzy.
I just finished Harvesting the Heart by Picoult her second book which I think I loved more than all these court dramas she's famous for although I love them too.