Historical Fiction and the time travel cliche

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
I am truly stuck here, and I'd appreciate some ideas and opinions.

I have a first-draft historical novel set in Mesopotamia 3,000 BCE. My first two MS readers complained of getting disoriented. So, I considered the time travel device to put a 21st Century perspective on the almost alien life style of a post-neolithic civilization on the cusp of such discoveries as the wheel and writing.

I'm familiar with Gabaldon's works and the device she uses to put a contemporary reader in the midst of her time period. But to me, time-travel involves a fairly radical suspension of disbelief, whereas I'm striving for realism that reflects anthropological finds of nascent Sumerian and neighboring cultures during the past 80 years.

Wilbur Smith is successful, but his "River God" and other depictions of ancient Egypt don't move me, and I wonder how much of his excruciating detail appeals to contemporary readers. He mixes adventure with authenticity, but I don't think he's a powerful writer.

I guess my dilemma is, can I make my "invented" world a compelling read with a dramatic story and strong characters alone? Or do I need to insert a 21st Century character with his POV and knowledge of where things will wind up?

Last edited:

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... without reading your manu it is hard to comment except broadly, but...

One of the things I love about historical writing is the ever-present reminder that people are essentially the same, always. They face, with some variations, the same trials, temptations, desires, interactions. They fall in love, raise children, desire wealth, lust after inappropriate partners ...

How can you draw your reader into your characters through these elements, so that they see a character living at a time they can barely imagine, but still see how this character is just like them? This is why we really love characters -- we see ourselves & others we know.

wee

PS -- This sounds very interesting, btw ....

Last edited:

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I love about historical writing is the ever-present reminder that people are essentially the same, always. They face, with some variations, the same trials, temptations, desires, interactions. They fall in love, raise children, desire wealth, lust after inappropriate partners ...

Thanks for the quick response. You hit the nail on the head about characterization being universal.

I've created two main characters whom I believe embody human foibles, desires, ambitions. They are lovers, but caught on opposing sides of a political upheaval--the end of matricentric rule and the introduction of the first male priests through a cabal of violence-prone fanatics.
The woman is a seer, a serpent adept, and queen of Nippur. The man a rebellious lion hunter persuaded by a misogynist to invert the status quo.

So we have temple intrigue, passion, unrequited love, deception, calumny, and a climactic battle that presages the destructive warrior way.

But Sumer is an enigma. The pace of life is slow, people walk everywhere, no beasts of burden yet. The Sumerian names and words are completely foreign-looking and -sounding. Temple life is run by a caste of women, the Lukur. Women own property, men till the fields. It's a role inversion stemming from discoveries of neolithic European development. There is no wheel to propel a cart, writing is a primitive form of carved pictographs, not cuneiform yet. Inanna is God as a woman, and she is revered as Great Mother, the fount of all life.

There are many more contrasts, but my two readers, both school teachers and avid book gnomes, couldn't get a foothold. Obviously that's my fault as a writer, and I've taken steps to build a better setting and show those contrasts through the eyes of a traveling merchant, an ancient crone, etc. But I wonder if a better grasp could be afforded by a contemporary in the midst gawking at the contrasts and striving to adapt. Maybe, maybe not.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Unless...

the time travel is a vital and integral part of your story please don't tack it on.

Go back and find ways to take your readers in to the world you have created.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
the time travel is a vital and integral part of your story please don't tack it on.

Go back and find ways to take your readers in to the world you have created.

You're suggesting that I believe in the story's power itself. That has an appeal. It places the burden squarely on me to create a piece that stands on its own merit. Thank you.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
"both school teachers and avid book gnomes"

But are they historically-oriented book gnomes? Does historical fiction light their fires? Were they able to lay aside their 'teacherliness' long enough to get involved?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You're suggesting that I believe in the story's power itself. That has an appeal. It places the burden squarely on me to create a piece that stands on its own merit. Thank you.

Absolutely.

While Gabaldon has created a masterful work of wildly popular novels, I wouldn't want to see time travel tucked into a novel just to give a contemporary POV.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Revisit your draft and see if you can't address that feeling of disorientation. Hell, post a few excerpts up in the SYW section...I for one would be interested in reading a bit of it over and offering what thoughts I can.

And...stories set in prehistoric societies can be done. You may want to check out Bernard Cornwell's Stonehenge, or Steven Saylor's Roma. I have my issues with both, but I think they each manage to convey their societies without disorienting the reader and without having to fall back on a modern POV.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
If you've got to throw in a time travel element just so your modern day beta readers will get it, then either you've got the wrong beta readers or the story needs help.

There are COUNTLESS numbers of historical fiction works set back hundreds and even thousands of years. Most of them manage to be believable (if you like mysteries, PC Doherty has a really good set of 'em set among the ancient Egyptians). Really, there's no reason you can't make it work, without throwing in something like time travel just for the hell of it.

ETA: Edward Rutherfurd's historicals are good too, and he usually starts about 3500 years ago and works his way up to World War II in each.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo Doogs. Post a bit in SYW amongst those who enjoy the genre. You'll probably get a much more detailed critique as to what works and what doesn't, and might be able to figure out what threw your betas.

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
Doogs, et. al., sorry for the delay, but I'm off rewriting this thing -- minus the time travel.

Have read enough other historicals to know they can be done eloquently without TT. Thanks for the pointers. Just questioned my own situation.

This discussion was great inspiration to resume the work and toss the TT idea. Not much invested in it anyway. What little I wrote of it as openers may just lead to a new book with a contemporary venue. Something good always comes from hard work.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.