STOP!! PLEASE read before posting a PA thread

absolutewrite

Hi!

Just a quick note: Please don't start any new topics about Publish America. We have many, many threads here already about PA. If you have something new to add, please just add it to an already-existing thread instead of starting a new topic. I'm afraid the other warnings are getting lost and I'd rather not have this entire board be about PA. Therefore, I'm closing down all but two PA threads. Please feel free to repost your messages or continue the discussions on the open threads.

Thanks!

[edited to draw attention to the subject line]

absolutewrite

For those with reading comprehension problems, I have moved yet another PA thread to the "Take it Outside" board. Future PA threads will simply be deleted. Please don't respond to them... I'd hate to see you waste your effort.

HBMarcus

Wat's the matter Dave?

DID THE FOLLOWING LEAVE A BAD TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH LEGALLY?

A few weeks back I had an idea. I teased you all with it on the thread "Me and PA". Well, here it is.

I sent a mss to PA but what I did was take 30 pages and cut and paste it over and over and over till it was about a three hundred page book. And now I just wanted to say....they sent me a contract for it.

"Dear Mr. Andrews:

As this is an important piece of email regarding your book, please read it completely from start to finish.

I am happy to inform you that PublishAmerica has decided to give "Eli Smith and The Purple Pony" the chance it deserves. An email will follow this one with the sample contract attached for your review. If you do not receive the email with the attached sample contract in twenty-four hours, please contact me, so I can resend the document via another method.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning the contract and to guide you through the contract negotiations phase. Please note that once you have requested that we send the official contract, we cannot further amend the contract.

Upon receiving your e-mail in acceptance with the terms, we will forward the final contract documents to you via regular mail for your signature. Along with your e-mail acceptance please include your legal name, current address, telephone number and title of work as you would like it to appear on the final contract.

The main terms of the contract are that we will pay you climbing royalties starting at 8%, you retain the copyright, and we will begin production on the book within 365 days of the date we receive the signed contract. A symbolic $1 advance underlines that all financial risk is carried by the Publisher, as we firmly believe it should be.

Once the signed contract has been processed in our offices, you will be contacted by our Production department regarding "the next step" for your book in the publishing process.

After both parties have signed the contract, you will be contacted by our production department with a list of questions and suggestions. Please feel free to e-mail any concerns or questions dealing with the terms of the contract to [email protected]. Also, please visit our web site at www.PublishAmerica.com.

Welcome to PublishAmerica, and congratulations on what promises to be an exciting time ahead.

Sincerely,

Meg Phillips
Acquisitions Editor
PublishAmerica"

What was really funny was I used a false name but still sent it from my email with my real name on the from line.

I now have the sample contract as well. You think PA will let me post this on their board?

Kevin

Ed Williams 3

Unfortunately, HB....

...this is one episode you're not going to be able to explain away. Your publisher is a fraud, and more and more people are becoming aware of that fact.

"THIS IS A FABRICATION TO MAKE PA LOOK BAD.
So now he says 'I' wrote this because he can see his house and belongings flushing along with his book sales.
-See, the problem is that if I don't reply, he can't erase the reply and leave my address coding in the message as the originator. I'm no dummy despite what Kevin thinks.

I have the original and Kevin, you are soooo busted. What kind of car do you drive? My family needs a second car. Kiss it goodbye for upsetting me."

Oh, really? Believe me, PA doesn't need fabrications to look bad, they are doing an up and up job of doing that on their own. And why do you feel the need to threaten people who don't agree with you?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This was back when the late, great H. B. Marcus himself graced us on this board.

This was back when we were trying not to talk about PA because it just took over discussion forums everywhere that writers gathered.

Oh, those were the days, when editors edited and publishing wasn't about money.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I expect Marcus H. Bretschneider, truck driver, guitar luthier extrodinaire, musician, and sometimes author, is still alive and well in (or around) Burton, Ohio, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't a member of Absolute Write and post here regularly.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Well in a fit of boredom I just did some googling and it seems that a Marcus Bretschneider of Geauga County OH, was still alive as of 2006 when he lost a claim against his mother's estate for money he had spent on improvements to the house ostensibly for sale. Hmmmmmm, as Burton OH, is in Geauga County it appears quite possible that this could be the same one.

Reading the appellate decision it doesn't sound like this Marcus Bretschneider was particularly easy to get along with.

Last edited:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's right. He was in a fight with his other sibling over any money from the estate.

He didn't live in the house, moving just before the final Easter death ressurection hoax. He moved to an apartment where I would assume he still resides.
He got what he wanted. He wanted to fade away from the constant pressure from all sides. Self caused pressure I might ad.