What the world needs now is another legal thriller?

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a travel memoir and I'm looking for another over-saturated genre in which to ply my trade.

I was a court-appointed lawyer for a couple years and I thought I might weave a murder mystery around that. Is there room in the world for another attorney-turned-author?

I'm curious what other's views are? Is this genre too difficult to break into if your name isn't Grisham or Turow? Am I better off going for another route, say non-fiction?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on the story you've got to tell. There are indeed a glut of legal thrillers out there, but if you've got the fascinating plot and the unforgettable characters, yours could easily be the next.

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you, ClaudiaGray. If you've got the hook, then go for it :) Especially since you already have the experience in that background ^^

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the above especially if this is your first foray into writing a novel. Pick something you're jazzed about since you're going to be living/breathing/dreaming it for a long time.

Good luck in whatever you choose! :Sun:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, Kermit Roosevelt wrote a bestseller last year called In the Shadow of the Law, which is about...nothing. Seriously, it's basically a novel without a plot. The world's first completely character-driven "legal thriller."

With the success of Lescroart and Scottoline and Robert Dugoni, it seems to me that the legal thriller is a pretty fertile ground.

Good luck to you.

Talamascan

Registered
Reaction score
Good compelling story telling is what you need to succeed. Writing technique comes second.