Trading Lives with Your MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
If you could trade lives with one of your characters, which would you choose? If it meant becoming your character, and living his/her life from beginning to end?

I'd trade lives with my MC, Salomah, though I'd have to live without toilets and technology. I'd trade lives with her because I think her journey to saving her people from slavery is well worth taking -- though she is harassed, homeless, and almost killed in the process.

So, which character would you trade lives with, and why?

Reaction score
Great question!

If I had to...hmm...possibly Ruby. It'd be cool to know what it feels like to turn into a vampire. But she's in my trunk novel and I haven't sorted out her book yet and probably won't for a long time.

Of the ones I think are readable...I'd say definitely not Eleanor even though things work out for her in the end, but I'd be able to handle swapping lives with Fern. She gets to kill people with impunity and she can shapeshift. :D

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Wow, awesome thread! Kudos!

I'd have such a hard time with this...but I guess I'd pick my only female MC, Morghan. She gets all the hot angels! Bah, she's such a hog.

Anyway, she's got a right shitty life for the most part, but the good parts are REALLY good, and basically being able to see Luke & Azrael...and sleep with them. Yeah, now that I think about it, the physical and psychological torture I would be doomed to deal with would definitely be worth it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If I had to trade... y'all know how much I love Ol' Boy... but if I had to trade, I'd have to trade with Carolyn. She's lived countless lives, had history's most powerful men as lovers, has power of her own granted by Lucifer himself... yeah. Carolyn.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh...hmm. Most of my characters have unbelievably crappy lives.

Probably Ian, my MC from Christmastime. He's the Gabriel in the baby Jesus scenario...which means he gets to leave the most unscathed.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question, and it's helpful because it's forcing me to reconsider one of my characters. Most of my characters have gone through some pretty tough times. The most exciting character to trade with would be Gideon, my mage. I'd love to be able to cast magic. The safest character to trade with would be Chantal, his love interest. So far her life has been pretty sheltered, but that's going to change the longer she's with him.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I have a sick life.

My protag from V is vain and is going to get pretty screwed up by the end so I don't want to be her although she is very pampered.

My protag from A is Medea who murdered a lot of people including her little brother, but she ends up pretty happy; in one version of the myth she ends up in the fields of Elysium and in the other Hera gives her immortality.

Protag from SG is Aello who is a harpy who has a shitty time of it and has mixed blessings in the end but I'd rather be her because she can fly.

But I'm such a badass that I'd rather be Grace Slick than all of them.

Last edited:

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Liza.

Whiny, sarcastic, self-absorbed, pampered and all-knowing cerulean cat? Hells yeah.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
Uh...

Tough question.

Most of my main characters are male. I think I'd be cool to live as a guy for a while. Maybe Monty, who is a successful comic book writer/artist. But he gets seduced to the dark side and commits horrible crimes and tries to kill his brothers on several occasions. That'd make me feel really guilty.

Ambrosius is pretty cool. He's the son of a king. Watched his family murdered as a kid. Spent the next several years as a slave. Spent the next several more impersonating a chieftain's son. Becomes King Arthur's namesake. Brings the hope of peace back to Britain. Pretty full life there.

Not Julian. His life sucks, man. Being sentenced to death for your brother's crimes is not exactly my idea of fun.

Maybe Leo. Eight years old, gets to save his mom from an evil people-eating hotel in Italy. Gets called Leonardo by cool old Italian men.

The only girl I'd really want to be is Ygerna, the very innocent and very beautiful symbol of Britain, unrequited lover of Ambrosius, and mother of Arthur. Even though she doesn't get her man, she has a pretty cool time of it. And she's blonde. Always wanted to be a blonde.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I put my characters through too much abuse to switch places with any of them!

(There are a couple of ladies I'd switch love interests with, though. ;) )

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My MC's are always males, with interesting lives to be sure, but I wouldn't want to be one of them. Now, there's a new batch in an up and coming soon to be WIP, one of the side characters is going to be female, and have a good handle on things - she'd be okay. She's gonna be sleeping with the wrong one, though. I'd sleep with the other one, if it were me :D

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Xx| Geez. Tough question.

Not Ælfric. He may have been born and lived until twenty-three in 1284 - 1307 Iceland, he may be pretty much a genius, a scholar, a biblical scholar, an excellent linguist, a writer, and an all-around highly esteemed, great, pretty guy, but he's a vampyre who's been around for 700 years. He's still beautiful, even though in a rather creepy, dead way these days, but he's steadily going insane. *Rereads his insanity-introductory chapter and shivers* Eek. Nu-uh. But I think of him because he's probably at the top of my list. Having lived all that time, experienced so much, met so many, and known so many--that would be cool.

I wouldn't want to go through a really creepy, painful, scary abusive relationship for five years. I wouldn't want to be known as the flamboyant, immature, selfish idiot and thus end up with almost everyone turning on me or thinking of me as the one-time fling, no matter my intentions. I wouldn't want to be borderline retarded, scared of losing everything, scared of being the reason I lose everything, and too much like my abusive father. So not Michel, Symphony, or Angel...

Oh! I know who I'd be from Whisper--Michel's daughter, Valentine. XD Yes, please! She has a good life. :3

And on that note, from Oriel, I'd be Bavol's daughter, Fiona. XD

From Epsilon...well, I'd be Epsi itself. It has some tribulations, but it's mostly exciting. They're fugitives, running from the law and the "Good Doctor". And then it falls in love with Nathan, Nathan becomes a Better Person[sup]tm[/sup], and it lives a really nice life with the Baldwins. Marries Nathan and raises a family...and is a huge activist for the rights for its kind. And takes in others of its kind that are abused/neglected/abandoned. I wouldn't mind it. :3

Last but not least, from Dollhouse...not Kenneth, he's had too big of a tragedy; not any of the dolls themselves, as they're too broken and carry too much baggage...I think Kat. She's a slightly heavy-set young teen who's been victim of her peers' jeers (rhyme time! :D), and spoiled by her parents. She's a snotty, rude, emotional brat, but changes later on and becomes, you guessed it, a Better Person[sup]tm[/sup]. And has her doll as a friend. Cute. :3

Very cool thread. :D |xX

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
If I had to choose any of my characters' lives to live, most likely either Sir Terramaar Draconis from Wyverinia Chronicles (I always admired his tenacity and his unparalleled devotion to what he believes in; and he's a dragon) or Terrence Lerve from my present WIP, The Redemption of Jonathan Rahn. Terrence is married to a beautiful lady named Ariel, and the love they share is, to me, the closest thing to a perfect relationship there could ever be. And Terrence is half-dragon, so again, cool.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
How do you know I haven't? My proganonist is an amazing woman called Tracy who's a writer with an attachment to AW. As for who *I* am/used to be - you don't want to know.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh boy, I would not want to be any of my male MCs. I am SO hard on them. I guess the one person I'd love to be is Jana, mainly because she lives on a colony planet in the future and gets to visit earth via a spaceship and have awesome adventures. By the time my novel opens she's already been through the agony of being widowed at an early age, so as long as I get to jump into her skin at that late point I'd be okay. Also I would love to have her ending... marrying the king (sorta) of the martians and moving to start a new civilization on Mars. (It's complicated...;))

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
All my characters are so different from me that I wouldn't fit into any of their lives. As much as I would love to trade with any of them (well, not ANY, but most), I would end up in trouble because I would react differently and totally screw up the relationships I'm so envious of. My choice would be to simply go to my fantasy world as myself and make my own life, not get in any of my characters' ways.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I'm really putting my characters through too much abuse to enjoy most of their lives.
If I had to pick one I'd have to go with the father of the first character I created. The guy is a professional magician, and since I enjoy performing magic as much as writing I could easily get used to that life style.

I couldn't get used to my kids being in constant trouble with a bunch of criminals, though...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good question. My MC in my WIP is on the run with a load of stolen cash; the whole country knows who he is and he has to make up for what he sees as a massive mistake he made 20 years ago.

Think I'll stick with being me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'd trade lives with my BILLY character from my finished novel CHASING EMPTY. (In truth he is the character closest to myself...but he did all the things I almost did!) He was a punk-rocker in the 80s...I wonder what he is doing now, the bastard?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Even though I'm a girl, I'd trade lives with Dean Frey. He's intelligent, loyal to his friends, and very passionate about things once his mind is set to it. He's a recurring character in a handful of my unpubbed novels, and I've been able to write him at various times in his life. Some parts are painful, some are joyous. But at the end of the journey, he's the sort of strong, considerate, loving person that I aspire to be.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I don't know that I'd live any of my character's lives. I'm so mean to them... lol! Don't think I could handle having my life threatened on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.