Publishers' reputations

dave c

Registered
Reaction score
How does one judge the reputation of a publisher? What criteria are used? Where does one go to find out? Thanks.

dave c

Registered
Reaction score
Intellectual rigor, or the contribution to knowledge from within a scholarly framework. That's what I am after. Non-fiction. So I guess that sales isn't uppermost (these types of books rarely make much money). But there are obviously other criteria to consider, including the reputation of the publisher for (I guess) releasing high quality books. But how do I find this out?

dave c

Registered
Reaction score
I looked through that website, but all it contains is a list of university publishers. There is no "ranking" on there of how comparatively "good" a publisher is, so it doesn't help. Amazon - I assume the best they will come up with are sales figures for books. Again, this doesn't tell us what kind of status a scholarly press has in the scholarly community. Going to a library - the same problem. The most you may find out is how good the publisher is at shifting books, not how reputable it is.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're trying to make comparisons that may or may not exist. Most "scholarly" books are published by university presses and a handful of other publishers. Victoria's list is probably as close as you are going to get. I know certain university presses publish more of one genre or topic than another; is that what you're hoping to find? Because I don't think you can say that SUNY Press is "better" or "worse" than Ohio University Press; rather, they publish different kinds of books.

dave c

Registered
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. But when, for example, I mention some scholarly presses (as you say, not all of these are university presses) I get a positive reaction. Something like "Oh, they're good." Others though I don't get this sort of immediate reaction about. I wonder how they are making these comparisons. I was also told that contracts offered by this type of publisher are pretty much the same. Basically, they offer similar royalties, for example. So what would you say I should look for in a book contract, that will differentiate them over each other? The number of books they publish? Their sales (but how would I get sales figures)? The quality of their printing (but how will I know)?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If I were shopping my scholarly manuscript around, I would review the books that I've liked and respected in my field and find out where they were published and go from there. If you respect and enjoy a book that has been published by a particular press, contact them and pitch your manuscript.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I base the reaction on which presses I have bought books from and whether they were good. Scholalrly presses have areas of focus where they are particularly strong and association with a prestiguous iniversity is also a plus.