Working with a co-author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a friend that I'm in discussions with, and we're talking about co-authoring a book. Or three. We're really excited about this, but I've no idea how co-authoring would work.

I know everyone has a different method, but how does this work for you and YOUR co-author?

Cathy? Jackie? Pepper? Anyone else I'm missing? :)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Caitlin and I came up with an idea that we thought, a year ago, if we ever collaborated, it would be on this.

And then we decided to actually do it. :) We're so excited by the idea that we've also started talking about how we would promote it.

We brainstormed on the characters, world building and plot. And we decided that she would write in the POV of one character, I would write in the POV of another character, and we would alternate POVs throughout, chapter by chapter.

We IM each other. A lot. We bounce ideas off of each other.

And we give each other chapters pretty much every day. No editing/revising at this point; we're still in First Draft Land. When it's time to revise (September 1, baby!), we both agreed that we'll give each other notes/feedback on each other's chapters, but the author of those chapters has creative control. (Boy, that sounds so formal!)

After we're done with the revision, we agreed that my crit partner will read it and offer feedback, and I think Caitlin will have someone on her end weigh in as well.

Then it's a final polish...and then, gulp, off to our agents.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Alex and I used to use Netmeeting, so that we could talk to each other on a voice link and see the document open on both computers. She's now on a Mac while I'm still on a PC, so we can't do that any more, but we do something similar using Skype for the voice channel, and either a chat client (usually the one built into Skype or the one in Google's Gmail), or Google Documents.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I know the process Vivien and I go through is pretty uncommon. At least, I've never heard of anybody doing the same thing, though I hardly know every author in the world, lol.

We use Yahoo Instant Messenger. YIM can be a bit bitchy sometimes, but it's pretty stable over all. Even when we're working together in the same room, we primarily communicate via YIM.

We each have a character. How we end up with a character really depends on how the brainstorming process works. From then on, we write 99% of the character. That means everything the character does. We don't alternate chapters, we alternate paragraphs. This is a brief example from our current chat session (we're pretty much writing constantly):

Vivien: Michael snorted. “Me and sports? I don’t think so. I cycle. I only use my car when the weather won’t let me ride.”
Pepper: Tre slid down Michael’s body, tracing his form with his fingertips. Michael squirmed a little, jumping when Tre found a particularly sensitive spot. He brushed his mouth over Michael’s jaw and neck, then his chest, enjoying the musky smell of his sweat, and the hotel soap. Tre could even smell traces of himself on Michael’s skin.

“So, you’re not big on athletics. What about athletes?”

Vivien: The rise and fall of Michael’s chest was quickening with each stroke of Tre’s tongue. It took very little to get Michael to respond to him, he was learning. He just didn’t know for sure whether or not that was a natural reaction or something purely for Tre.

“I don’t know any,” Michael said breathlessly. “Except for the ones in my intro classes. History isn’t sexy enough for them apparently.”

Pepper: Heh. I like that even though Tre is clearly built like an athlete, it doesn't even occur to Michael
Vivien: Me, too. He just absolutely couldn't see teh possibility that an athlete could be like Tre. He's got his own stereotypes/prejudices he needs to work through.
Pepper: “Their loss, I guess,” Tre murmured, swiping his tongue over Michael’s nipple. “But I think history is sexy. Have I mentioned that already?”

Vivien: Going to bed?

Pepper: no.......unless you are, I suppose
Vivien: You said 30 minutes, so I was asking.
Pepper: ah. Well, no, I still feel awake
Vivien: “I’m beginning to figure that out.” When Tre caught the tip between his teeth, Michael dug his fingertips into the muscle of Tre’s upper back. “I thought I was supposed to be doing this to you.”
Pepper: Tre smiled. As much as he liked Michael’s mouth—and he really, really liked it—he wanted the chance to get his own taste. “You were. But you don’t mind indulging me for now, do you?”
Vivien: Wordlessly, Michael shook his head. He loosened his hold, but not before Tre felt the faint tremor in his hands.
Vivien: I have no idea what youhave in mind, lol.
Pepper: lol, me neither. I'm just letting Tre do whatever he wants.

When we're done with the writing, we do the editing. How the editing breaks down really depends on the publisher, the work itself, and our schedule. It also depends on how much needs to be done. Generally, only one of us in charge of editing prior to submission, and the other will take care of edits after submission. After over a year together and nearly 2 dozen books, we're both pretty comfortable with giving the other complete control. I trust Vivien implicitly, and she trusts me. We have the same vision for the book and discuss everything extensively.

We collaborate on every point. THe blurb, the excerpt, the art forms...I tend to be in charge entirely of submissions/queries/synopsis writing, but that's mainly because I wanted the job.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Anna J and I come up with characters and a basic story or plot together (unless one of us already has an idea) then we do a chapter-by-chapter outline--just a sentence or two to say what happens in each.

We take turns writing. She'll do 2 or 3k, then email it to me. I'll edit her bit and add another 2 or 3, and so on. Our first cowritten book comes out in November--we wrote it in like three weeks! The second (January release) took longer, about six weeks.

We don't really discuss it once we start writing--in our emails we'll say something about why we did X or Y, so the other person doesn't edit it out, but in general we stick to the concept and just keep going. :)

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I should add one more thing. Vivien and I began chatting/brainstorming about 18 months ago. Since then, we have probably written millions of words together (seriously we have a bunch of things that will never see the light of day) and we chat constantly. I talk to her more than I talk to my husband, my sister, my mother, my professors, and my students combined. And it's not easy. Sometimes it feels really easy, but even though we share a brain and 95% of the time we're complete in agreement, there's that other 5% when things do not go so smoothly. Before you begin working with a co-author, you should really be sure it's what you want to do.

And you have to be willing to compromise. I work best when I don't have an outline. Most the time, I start without a plot. A basic premise is generally all I need to get rolling. Vivien wants to plot every detail extensively. I hate outines. She loves them. I don't care for really actiony stories. She loves action. I hate paranormals. She prefers paranormals. These things might seem like insurmountable obstacles, but we're both willing to compromise--sometimes extensively. And our personal writing style has changed as a result. I can now work with more structure, and she's much more flexible.

Last edited:

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wondered what collaborators do when each of them comes up with a good idea for a scene and they have to either merge or choose one.

But then, I'm indecisive so that would be panic time for me.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, some great responses here. I love seeing how everyone works. Thanks guys! It's given me a lot to think about.

Now here's another question. If you have two different agents, who shops the manuscript? How does the representation work out?

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I am at present co authoring with myself it is a great challenge but is doable if one persists on standing ones grounds and drinking copious quantities of vintage Scotch!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Egos are to be left outside the office door, along with all weapons.

The word "no" is not to be used, ever. (Got that one from Chuck Jones.)

When you forbid the use of the word "no" while flinging out ideas you can get more work done faster. You're assured the idea won't be shot down out of hand.

Whatever results in words on page rather than a visit to the ER is what works best.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I like the "Throw out the No" concept.

As for the agenting thing, Jackie, I posted on Nathan Bransford's thread. I hope he has an answer, because I'm curious as to how it'd work out!

Status
Not open for further replies.