Not open for further replies.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Hiya folks,

I'm writing a short piece on the Great Fruitcake Toss that happens every January in Manitou Springs, Colorado. For that I'd like to interview someone who may have taken part or just been there for the event in the last one or two years.

Thanks!

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Hey! I lived in Manitou for a few years! Never went to the toss, but read about it in the paper. PM me if you think I can help!

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I lived in Manitou for nearly a decade (until last year) and always went to the toss. I'd get the archives from the local weekly paper and talk to a guy named Jack Elder, who mostly runs the paper. I don't have an address but he should be easy to find. You could also call the mayor, Marcy Morrison. She's about 70, a shrewd old bird if there ever was one, and would likely recommend someone to talk to.

The best story I ever heard was that we'll never know the distance record for the maximum toss with an assisted device (one of the many categories of competition). People use catapults and all sorts of things. One guy tied a cake to an old weather balloon and let the thing go. It drifted off to west over the nearest mountain, back into Pike national forest, and no one ever found it. I believe it still stands as the record.

Two years ago they had to stop doing it in one of the parks and move to the high school field because people were getting so good the cakes were raining down on the park's neighbors.

Hope this helps. It's a cute little town. They also have a coffin race on Halloween you might look into (The Emma Crawford Race, named for a coffin that reportedly washed into town off a mountain during a heavy rain storm.)

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
They also have a coffin race on Halloween you might look into (The Emma Crawford Race, named for a coffin that reportedly washed into town off a mountain during a heavy rain storm.)
HA! I'm wearing my Emma Crawford Coffin Races T-shirt right now :D Lived on Spencer Ave, off Canon...

Status
Not open for further replies.