PDA

View Full Version : What helps sinus problems?

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I woke up yesterday morning with a really stuffy nose. The stuffy nose progressed into "Ughhhhhh, I'm going to die! Take me now, God, I feel like crap!".

I've tried everything from numberous herbal remedies (usually works well for me, but not this time) and I even caved and tried a few over the counter medications, but nothing's helping it out (though, I'm sure the fact that I'm still trying to smoke despite my agony is contributing to that...). Hot showers, Numotizine or however you spell it (for those who don't know, it's a pungent pink-gray paste that cures everything from cuts to colds to broken bones and bad relationships- a.k.a. West Virginia witch medicine), pressure points, mint compresses- NOTHING'S working.

Have any helpful tidbits?

*curls up in corner with a pillow and a box of tissue*

Siddow
08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Sudafed, if you can get it. Ask the pharmacist. You can speedy and dry up all at once!

And eat lots of vitamin C. 1000mg a day.

Esopha
08-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I think - emphasis on think - that the decongestants that have the strong meds in them are no longer sold over the counter in the US, because people use them to cook up Crystal Meth.

Yeah...so the rest of us have to suffer.

If you don't feel like talking to your doctor/the pharmacist, then try any herb with a really strong scent. Aniseed, maybe.

EDIT:

Wasabi. Seriously, that stuff clears up the sinuses.

NeuroFizz
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Electric drill and a 1/4" bit.

sassandgroove
08-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes, I take OTC sinus meds, non drowsy for day, drowsy for night. But even with meds somtimes all you can do is soldier on. Also, if you have a headache, Acetaminophen (tylenol) is good for sinus, but make sure it isn't already in your sinus med. Some have it some don't. Occasionally I use nose spray but you don't want to use them too much, sometimes you feel worse when it wears off. I use saline spray too when my nose is dry dry dry. It isn't medicine, just moistens. Very nice.

I find hot showers/baths are good, nice and steamy. Oh and vicks vapo rub! If you don't want to rub it in your chest, which is hard to wash off, try boiling some water then move the pan to your table. Put a tad of the vicks in it and hold your head over the pan with a towel over your head, to keep in the steam. It is amazing. Not to much, it is strong and will fill the house with the smell. Sometimes I just wave the vicks jar under my nose for a little while. Don't know how it helps, but is seems too.

Ummm...HOt tea, too. Steam again. hmmm....If you throat is scratchy try hot tea with some lemon and a teaspoon of honey. it soothing, and I suppose the lemon has vitamin C. It is also good with a tad of orange instead of lemon.

ETA:
Wasabi. Seriously, that stuff clears up the sinuses.I can affirm from personal experience that this is true.

Robin
08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I find hot showers/baths are good, nice and steamy. Oh and vicks vapo rub! If you don't want to rub it in your chest, which is hard to wash off, try boiling some water then move the pan to your table. Put a tad of the vicks in it and hold your head over the pan with a towel over your head, to keep in the steam. It is amazing. Not to much, it is strong and will fill the house with the smell. Sometimes I just wave the vicks jar under my nose for a little while. Don't know how it helps, but is seems too.

And now they make those Vicks Shower Soothers- menthol tablets that you place in a hot shower and it does the same thing. Mmm.

My kids have been in school for two weeks and have already brought home a bad head cold germ. Everyone is miserable today. At least Mama can have bourbon in her hot lemon and honey.

Jaycinth
08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
4 caps of Evening Primrose Oil and 2 caps of echinecea/goldenseal (the combined herbs..not just one or the other) and a cup of chicken broth to which you've added garlic and lots of cayenne (or Hot and Sour Soup)

And Vicks in the nose.
Or wasabi in the nose.
or wasabi in the vicks......

Put some rosemary oil and eucalyptus oil in a pot of boiling water and breathe it.

Or....

enter the men's room at that rancid station where 340 intersects with that miserable road.

Or...just beat on small woodland creatures until you feel better.

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I think - emphasis on think - that the decongestants that have the strong meds in them are no longer sold over the counter in the US, because people use them to cook up Crystal Meth.

Yeah...so the rest of us have to suffer.

If you don't feel like talking to your doctor/the pharmacist, then try any herb with a really strong scent. Aniseed, maybe.

EDIT:

Wasabi. Seriously, that stuff clears up the sinuses.
Actually, I've been eating a good bit of wasabi. It only offers temporary relief, but it's better than nothing.

The herbs for my sinuses aren't working, so the only herbs I'm using right now are horehound, mullein, and slippery elm bark in hopes of helping my sore throat and maybe clearing out my chest a little.

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
4 caps of Evening Primrose Oil and 2 caps of echinecea/goldenseal (the combined herbs..not just one or the other) and a cup of chicken broth to which you've added garlic and lots of cayenne (or Hot and Sour Soup)
Actually, I have no echinacea or goldenseal in the house, which is damn surprising. Those are usually the only herbs I ALWAYS have around the house. They kick every ailment's butt, and I'd kill for some right now. I'm friends with a priestess who runs a head shop not far from here, and I'm trying to butter her up into bringing me some.

Hot and sour soup has failed me for the first time, as has a nice piping hot cup of ginger tea. :( I don't like this sinus infection. It's a toughy.

And Vicks in the nose.
Or wasabi in the nose.
or wasabi in the vicks......

Put some rosemary oil and eucalyptus oil in a pot of boiling water and breathe it.

Or....

enter the men's room at that rancid station where 340 intersects with that miserable road.

Or...just beat on small woodland creatures until you feel better.

I'll have to try the rosemary and eucyalyptus oil. I'm sure I have them somewhere around here, I just need to find the energy to go and scrounge around for them.

And, for the record, I've already beaten 2 gophers and a squirell. Surprisingly, it did clear my nose.

jennifer75
08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Luckily I've only had one sinus infection my entire life and it was horrible. I did find comfort in a heating pad on my face. Yea it got hot and sweaty under there, but boy it felt good.

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Luckily I've only had one sinus infection my entire life and it was horrible. I did find comfort in a heating pad on my face. Yea it got hot and sweaty under there, but boy it felt good.
You've only had one sinus infection?

*sob* I'm so jealous, I used to get them like crazy! I hate it....

I usually know how to make the infection go away within a day or so (practice, practice) but this one's stubborn.

I'll try the heating pad. I didn't even think of that. :)

cray
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
tsuki, shove III's finger in your nose

III
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
tsuki, shove III's finger in your nose

Hold 'er down Cray, she's squirming! This'll be alot easier if you just relax and let me do my job, Tsuki!

cray
08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
:roll:

Esopha
08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Actually, I've been eating a good bit of wasabi. It only offers temporary relief, but it's better than nothing.

The herbs for my sinuses aren't working, so the only herbs I'm using right now are horehound, mullein, and slippery elm bark in hopes of helping my sore throat and maybe clearing out my chest a little.

Alright, try this:

Eat a whole lot of wasabi, then take three decongestants, and then stick your head in the vapor thingy.

That way you've got immediate relief, long-lasting relief, and something to keep the relief up while the decongestants kick in.

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Get your hand away from my face! I hate you all! When I get out of this, I'm gonna beat the shi-

Hey! That's not my nose!

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Alright, try this:

Eat a whole lot of wasabi, then take three decongestants, and then stick your head in the vapor thingy.

That way you've got immediate relief, long-lasting relief, and something to keep the relief up while the decongestants kick in.
I'm out of wasabi :( Perhaps I'll improvise with a cayenne pepper. That usually gets the job done.

Susie
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Hope you feel better very soon, Tsuki. The only thing that helped me when I had sinus problems (and boy, can I relate) is antibiotics. So, if you can get thee to a doctor!

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Hope you feel better very soon, Tsuki. The only thing that helped me when I had sinus problems (and boy, can I relate) is antibiotics. So, if you can get thee to a doctor!
Actually, I try not to go to the doctor's whenever possible. I can usually fight off most ailments by myself, and I have a grudge against modern medicine most of the time (thus, why I practice herbology).

I have a few antibiotic herbs around the house (the most simple, but so far, most effective, has been garlic), so I'll try some more of them.

Thanks, suse :D

RumpleTumbler
08-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Not smoking might help. :)

Esopha
08-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Not smoking might help. :)

Maybe grab a nicotine gum or something for while your sick?

sassandgroove
08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
You shouldn't take anti biotics too often and then only if you have a sinus infection. If people take antibiotics when they don't need them, then they become less effective, and new strains of bacteria development that are immune to the antibiotic. And if you have a virus, anti biotics won't help at all ever. Many times my sinus just bother me because of the change in the weather and allergies, and if I ran to the doc everytime I'd be a)po and b) up a creek when I really had an infection.

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
See this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74799

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:29 PM
See this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74799
I had figured something along those lines. And to think, anyone one of us could become the next Stephen King. *sigh*

Susie
08-23-2007, 11:29 PM
You shouldn't take anti biotics too often and then only if you have a sinus infection. If people take antibiotics when they don't need them, then they become less effective, and new strains of bacteria development that are immune to the antibiotic. And if you have a virus, anti biotics won't help at all ever. Many times my sinus just bother me because of the change in the weather and allergies, and if I ran to the doc everytime I'd be a)po and b) up a creek when I really had an infection.

Hey, Sass, yep you're right about not taking them too often, but sometimes with a sinus infection that's the only thing that helps.

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I had figured something along those lines. And to think, anyone one of us could become the next Stephen King. *sigh*

If I ever become the next Stephen King, I'll come here and delete all my posts. Yeah, that will take about three years.

TsukiRyoko
08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
If I ever become the next Stephen King, I'll come here and delete all my posts. Yeah, that will take about three years.
Delete them if you must. But you know that we'll still find you and drag you back.

"Ray, the modern Stephen King, has been reported missing this afternoon. Only clues as to where he may be lie in obscure posts on AbsoluteWrite.com, a forum of writers with mental problems. In the posts, he claims to be duct-taped to a chair while a group of writers forces him to write."

Jaycinth
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
See....I knew that EVEN YOU wouldn't go near that restroom at 340 and that nasty road....

You can also try boiling a tsp each of Basil, oregano, peppermint, spearmint, licorice root and red clover in a cup of water for 10 min and drink the result.

It will work better if you add cayenne and garlic but it will taste like what I imagine Dick Cheney says bear wizz tastes like.

Little Red Barn
08-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Suki, did you start back to classes? Those blasted chalk-filled classrooms do it everytime to my daugh--Feel better!
hugs

Kate Thornton
08-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Hope you feel better very soon, Tsuki. The only thing that helped me when I had sinus problems (and boy, can I relate) is antibiotics. So, if you can get thee to a doctor!(bolding mine)

Me too - it was such a bad infection that the pain of a broken wrist seemed a minor inconvenience at the time.

TsukiRyoko
08-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Suki, did you start back to classes? Those blasted chalk-filled classrooms do it everytime to my daugh--Feel better!
hugs
Actually, I started classes Monday and started feeling crappy on Tuesday night, hmmm....

I also went to an amazing show on Tuesday, and was crammed into a pit of 400+ sweaty, smelly, not-very-hygenic punks from 7:30 pm until 1 am, so I think that might have contributed to it. I vaguely remember someone sneezing on me as I was crowd surfing, and again in the skank circle. I'm gonna find that guy and kick his ass once I feel better. *snuggles against pillow again, sniffles*

But then, it might not have been from the show, but simply from the city. We went to Pittsburgh for it, and every time I go there I get sick somehow.

TsukiRyoko
08-24-2007, 01:22 AM
You can also try boiling a tsp each of Basil, oregano, peppermint, spearmint, licorice root and red clover in a cup of water for 10 min and drink the result.

It will work better if you add cayenne and garlic but it will taste like what I imagine Dick Cheney says bear wizz tastes like.
I don't have any basil, but I could find a substitute for it.... I'm sure I have the rest of the herbs.

jennifer75
08-24-2007, 01:22 AM
You've only had one sinus infection?

*sob* I'm so jealous, I used to get them like crazy! I hate it....

I usually know how to make the infection go away within a day or so (practice, practice) but this one's stubborn.

I'll try the heating pad. I didn't even think of that. :)

Yea, aside from morning sickness and the chicken pox, that sinus infection will last forever in my memory.

TsukiRyoko
08-24-2007, 01:26 AM
:( My friend wants her lap top back soon. Now what am I supposed to do? No computer, screwed up cable, too stuffy to sleep, too tired to go and do anything.....

Perhaps I shoudl tell her to bite me and lock all the doors?

I wonder if we have a deck of cards anywhere.

Rolling Thunder
08-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Well, Tsuki, if you can stand it, try mixing some table salt in warm water until it dissolves. About one teaspoon in twelve ounces. Then, using a dropper, lie down and tilt your head back. Have a few towels ready, too. Put a few drops in each nostril.

Now...this is not pleasant, but it works. Your sinus might sound like firecrackers going off inside your skull but the salt water will open them up and dry out the mucous membrane. It's not a treatment for the weak. But hey, it can't be worse than a tattoo or piercing, right? :)

TsukiRyoko
08-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, Tsuki, if you can stand it, try mixing some table salt in warm water until it dissolves. About one teaspoon in twelve ounces. Then, using a dropper, lie down and tilt your head back. Have a few towels ready, too. Put a few drops in each nostril.

Now...this is not pleasant, but it works. Your sinus might sound like firecrackers going off inside your skull but the salt water will open them up and dry out the mucous membrane. It's not a treatment for the weak. But hey, it can't be worse than a tattoo or piercing, right? :)
Actually, a lot of people who practice yoga do this, for some reason. Found it out when I took yoga a few years back. I tried it today, and sure enough it burned like hell (I put about 3 times the amount of salt in there). OH yeah. Lit my ass up.

My nose was too clogged for it to work, though :(.

Little Red Barn
08-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Try Rt's Rx on salt water again Suki--keep trying--does indeed work!

Jaycinth
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
.....and there is still that rest room on the highway...

Tornadoboy
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Here's a recipe I've had kicking around for a long time, although I haven't tried it myself. If you use it and it works let me know.

SINUS HEADACHE BATH SALTS

2 to 3 Cups Epsom Salts(or salts of your choice)
1/3 cup peppermints (candy)
1/3 cup spearmints (candy)
40 drops peppermint essential oil
20 drops eucalyptus essential oil

Grind up your mints in the food processor, then sift them through
a mesh kitchen strainer, add them to your salts. Mix well.
Now start adding your essential oils. Mix well with a spoon
to get all of the little clumps of oil and salt mixed together.
When these are mixed well place in an airtight container.

USE 1/4 CUP PER WARM BATH.

Soak in the tub at least 20 minutes, lay back in the tub and
breath in slowly to allow scent to open up sinus'.