Read This Ladies, and the Life You Save May Be Your Own

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
I am lying on a padded table, soaked with sweat, shivering so violently it must appear that I’m having a seizure. I don’t look at myself. My gaze wanders across the ceiling, the lights, the faces darting in and out of my peripheral vision. I am focusing only on the sensations of my body. Someone draws blood from my arm. Normally terrified of needles, there is too much happening around me to give it more thought.

“Miss Valentine, you’re having a heart attack,” a male voice says. I barely glance in his direction. “On a scale of one to ten, with one being the least and ten being the worst, how is your pain?”

It is not at all what I expect. There is no elephant sitting on my chest. There is no golf ball lodged in my throat. There is only an angry, clenched fist squeezing my heart. It makes me feel incompetent and unworthy of complaining. I try to rate it fairly. “Six, maybe,” I say. Wondering if I am going to die, I watch for the tunnel that will lead me to the light, and the faces of loved ones who have gone before me, but there is nothing. I surrender my body to whatever comes. “Where is my husband?” I ask. “I want him.” I may have something to say to him before I go.

A woman tells me she is going to cut off my nightgown. Not waiting for my protest, she snips the straps, then gathers the silky fabric from the bottom until it is bunched in her hand above my chest. She begins working her scissors. I am naked underneath, and someone covers me with a sheet from the waist down.

Other hands place suction cups on my chest: one on each side below my collarbones, one just above my solar plexus, one below my left breast, another on the right, below where my gall bladder resides. A cuff is fastened around my upper arm. A clamp goes over my finger. It has a glowing red light, and I think ET, phone home.

“Do you have a history of coronary disease?” the man asks.
“My mother.”
“Diabetes?”
“Mother.”
“High blood pressure?”
“I don’t know.”
“Cancer?”
“Not that I know of.”
“Do you smoke?”
“I just quit.”
“When?”
“About thirty minutes ago.”
He has probably heard this joke a thousand times. He doesn’t laugh. He doesn’t even pause. “How much?”
“A pack a day.”
“Do you drink?”
“Occasionally.”
“Have you had any alcohol today?”
“No.”
“When did your symptoms begin?”
“About thirty minutes ago.”
“What were the symptoms?”
“I felt weak. Nauseous.”
“Did you vomit?”
“Yes.”
“How many times?”

I look over at him. He is watching my heart beat on a monitor as he waits for my answer. There were those first few times in the front bathroom. I thought I would feel better. I always feel better after I throw up. I tried to recall what I had eaten and wondered if my husband felt sick, too. It was three or three-thirty in the morning and he had to get up in two hours. He was sleeping soundly, but I felt horrible, and secretly hoped he would come to my aid. I crawled by the room where he’d slept since we decided to divorce, and called his name through the closed door. “Do you feel sick?” I asked.

“No,” he answered. He didn’t ask why I wanted to know.

“I’m sick,” I said. I crawled into our bedroom and onto the bed, but didn’t feel better, and I rolled off, lunging toward the master bathroom to keep from tossing my cookies on the floor. I didn’t feel like cleaning up a mess. On my knees, I raised the lid of the toilet and vomited a few more times. Sweat beaded on my skin, drenching me as if I had been standing in a shower. A shower was not a bad idea, I thought. Maybe it would make me feel better. Struggling to reach the faucet handles, I managed to turn one. The blast of cold water did nothing to help. I lay with my face pressed to the cool tile of the shower floor and called my husband again. He must have detected enough panic in my voice that he came. “I’m so sick,” I said. “I need you to call the hospital and tell them my symptoms. See what they say.”

He left and returned with a phone book, sat on the bed, and tried to find a number for the hospital. I felt the squeeze on my heart. “Forget that. Call 911.”

He looked at me like I was crazy.

“I’m telling you, I’m sick! Call 911.”

He stood. “I can get you there faster.”

“Fine.” I didn’t want to waste time arguing about it. “Grab my purse from under my desk. It has my insurance card in it.” He headed for my office, and I began to crawl through the bedroom. From the hall, I watched him search for my purse. I saw it under my desk, where it lives. “It’s right there!” I shouted.

“Where?”

“Bend over and look. It’s right there under my desk. I’m looking right at it.” He looked, and still didn’t see it. I began to get frustrated. “It’s pink and yellow! It has bamboo handles and looks Chinese. It’s right there!” He finally found it, set it on the desk, and began to rummage through it, looking for my insurance card. “Just bring it,” I whined. “I know where it is. I need to go. Now.

Mad at me for yelling at him, he let me crawl the rest of the way down the hall and through the living room. He opened the front door, and I crawled across the porch, and down the sidewalk until I reached the driveway where his truck was parked. Managing to stand, I opened the tailgate, and climbed into the bed.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Just get me to the fucking hospital,” I snapped. I braced myself for the bumps in the road and watched treetops and streetlights whiz by. I knew instinctively which stop signs he ran, and exactly where we were by the turns he made. At the hospital, he ran in and reappeared with a wheelchair. I’m sure my jaw dropped.

“They said if I can’t get you out of the truck, they don’t know how I expect them to,” he offered by way of explanation. A car pulled up behind us, and I wondered if it was police, but I couldn’t see past the glare of its headlights. I crawled out of the truck and fell into the chair. Once inside, I didn’t have to wait. Someone took control and wheeled me into an inner room, stopping in front of a scale, and told me to hop on.

“I can’t.”

“You have to. We have to know your weight.”

I tumbled from the chair and lay on the scale in a fetal ball. One hundred and thirty-five pounds. I need to diet if I live.

“How many times did you vomit?” the man asks again, bringing me back to the present.

I realize he is the doctor. “Six or seven,” I answer, wishing I could brush my teeth now.

“Do you have a living will or any medical directives?”

Damn. “No.” I’ve always meant to do that, but have never gotten around to it.

“Lift your tongue,” a woman says, and I expect a thermometer. “This is nitro glycerin. Let it dissolve.” I have heard of this before. Never in a million years would I expect to have any of it under my own tongue. Suddenly there’s a person on either side of me, inserting IV feeds into each of my arms. A man easily slides a tube the size of a swizzle stick into my right arm, but the woman on my left is having a hard time of it. I scream. Jesus Christ! She tries again. Fuck! I look over to see what her problem is. She says she must have hit a nerve, and wiggles the tube around again to prove it. I think I’m going to get off the table and kill her. A woman standing beside her takes over.

“How is the pain now?” the nitro woman asks.

“Still six.” It hasn’t let up, and now I have a pain in my arm, too. She puts another tiny pill under my tongue.

A man comes to stand at my left. “I have to shave you,” he informs me, but with a reassuring voice, as if he’s waiting for my consent. “They’re going to make an incision in your groin for a catheter.” I know just what he’s talking about. My mother had it done. They snaked a tube up the artery in her leg until they reached her heart. She’d almost died. From the next room, I’d heard the doctor yelling at her, “Stay with me. Stay with me.” The shave takes less than ten seconds. I am already neatly trimmed. I close my eyes and the dark canvas behind them spins. The tunnel, I think, but no; it’s a snowflake. I want to be cognizant if I leave my body. I’m focused on that. I wait.

“How’s the pain?” nitro nurse asks again.

It’s less, I think. A five. A four, maybe. She puts more nitro under my tongue.

“Let’s get ready to lift,” the doctor directs, and they all surround me. Someone says, “go,” and they lift the sheet under me, just like on TV. I float through the air for a brief moment and land on a gurney. They are off and running. The lights on the ceiling above me speed by like the dotted line on a highway. An elevator door opens and I am wheeled in. A moment later, I am wheeled out. I float again. I see a monitor on my left, nothing more. A cool liquid antiseptic is applied to my groin. I think about how I don’t like the word groin. It sounds nasty. I hear the surgeon’s voice say, “I’ve got two and a half minutes. Let’s go.” I can tell by his accent that he’s from India. I fade to black.

I awaken in a glass room. The nurse’s desk is just outside. The door is open, and I hear activity out there, voices and footsteps. Someone drops a metal object that rings out. In the other direction, I see it’s still dark outside. I’m glad I don’t smell hospital smells. The bed I’m lying in hums as it shifts slightly, like a wave in a waterbed. I’m still tethered to the IV and suction cups. When I move, the top line of the monitor squiggles. I raise my hand a few times when I discover the correlation. An oxygen tube rests beneath my nose. I’m still ET. The blood pressure cuff huffs and puffs and tightens around my arm, then gives a deep sigh. Still adrift in the land of nod, I hear my husband saying that I need my rest and he’ll come back later. I am vaguely aware of the doctor’s presence. He congratulates me for making it to the hospital in time, and explains what he’s done to me, but only a few words stick: massive heart attack, widowmaker, stent. There’s a second blockage in the back of my heart that is unreachable. It is only pumping at 40%. Then he is gone, and I am left alone to contemplate my mortality, and the year from hell that has led me here. Stress is a killer.

“How are you feeling?”
Two nurses, one male, one female are at my bedside, watching the monitor, checking the EKG wires.
“Fine,” I yawn. Sleeping great until they ran in here. I wonder why they always wake up people who are sick.
“Are you having any pain now?”
I check. I think I feel relatively well for someone in intensive care.
“Your heart stopped,” the man says.
“You set off alarms at the desk,” the woman adds.
“Really? Huh. I was sleeping. I didn’t feel a thing.”
They fuss over me until they’re satisfied I’m still alive. I’m not at all uneasy. It seems it would have been a quick and painless death. Nothing to it. I close my eyes and go back to sleep.

On the third day, the cardiologist brings a medical student with him when he comes to release me from the hospital. He sits on the bed to write prescriptions, and asks me to recount the symptoms of my heart attack for the student. I realize that until now, I have left out the first symptom, an odd one indeed. The very first thing I recall happening was suddenly being filled with an overwhelming sense of dread. I had known without a doubt that something terrible was about to happen. It was as if a dementer were kissing me. All light fled from my life, and a real fear descended. The cardiologist is not surprised. It’s not the first time he’s heard this, but his eyes are filled with a sudden interest they’ve not had until now. Since I have no near death experience to recall, it will have to do.

Update September 1, 2007

In light of everyone's encouragement to aim for publication of this: I know I don't have to remind you writers, but for any non-writers who may be directed here by friends, please remember this is copyrighted material. Please do not copy it and send it around in e-mails or post to your blog. I will get very mad.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Scary! Hope you're recuperating okay.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know you made it through. As a long-time Internal Medicine nurse, and having had personal experience with MI's, I recognize everything you talk about. You're lucky your husband got you to the hospital quickly.

Most women don't have the 'classic' symptoms of an MI. A lot of times, it's just total exhaustion that shows up. I didn't have an MI, but I did have the classic symptoms and then suffered sudden cardiac death while doing a treadmill test.

And I'm glad you don't remember the cardiac cath. It's not pleasant. I recently had stents put in and had 2 caths in 2 days (one in each groin) and I was wide awake for both of them. They said they gave me drugs, but I remember every poke, prod, stitch and injection.

I hope you've really quit smoking and will take care of yourself. Did they get you into cardiac rehab? Good luck with your recovery. I'll be sending prayers your way.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a true story then I hope you're doing better, and on the road to recovery. And thank you for sharing your experience.

As far as a piece of writing goes, it is excellent. The title alone made me click. I don't know if everyone will get the "dementer" reference at the end. I'm sure you could sell this to any number of women's magazines. Is your intent to just share your story with AW members? If you'd like a close crit to get it ready for sale I'd be happy to help out.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Her blog says she is "happily married" and the husband in the story is an asshole so I think it's fiction.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Mad at me for yelling at him, he let me crawl the rest of the way down the hall and through the living room. He opened the front door, and I crawled across the porch, and down the sidewalk until I reached the driveway where his truck was parked. Managing to stand, I opened the tailgate, and climbed into the bed.

This is normal behavior to you?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her blog says she is "happily married" and the husband in the story is an asshole so I think it's fiction.

Huh. That's why I thought it was non-fiction. I would have had to drive myself.

We're no longer together.

It's a great piece, southern. Send it. LHJ. BHG. RD. Any. All. Every.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
My dad had a widowmaker, so I feel for you. You've got quite a recovery but know this... they said that rare few actually survive a widowmaker, so count yourself fortunate no matter what.

I wish you well on your recovery

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Edit: I apologize. I didn't realize this was actually from something you experienced. I was under the impression it was one of those stories like I get in my email inbox.
Hmm. I missed that. No blood, no foul, I guess. It's funny you should mention it, because I got one of those in my mail box, too. It came from a friend, so I read it, and even discussed it with more friends at work just a few days before mine happened. My symptoms were nothing like those described in the e-mail, and that's why I wanted to write about it for other women. I didn't know I was having a heart attack until the doctor told me. I had no idea nausea and a cold sweat were classic symptoms. It doesn't happen that way on TV. In fact, women on TV don't have heart attacks, do they? I can't recall ever seeing a show where that happened (but then, I almost never watch TV).

Scary! Hope you're recuperating okay.
Thank you, Marlys.

I did have the classic symptoms and then suffered sudden cardiac death while doing a treadmill test.
That's gotta be scary. Did someone perform CPR?

I'm glad you don't remember the cardiac cath. It's not pleasant. I recently had stents put in and had 2 caths in 2 days (one in each groin) and I was wide awake for both of them.
:eek: Why were you awake???

I hope you've really quit smoking and will take care of yourself. Did they get you into cardiac rehab? Good luck with your recovery. I'll be sending prayers your way.
I really did quit. I can't believe how easy it was because I've tried several times before and failed. I've had a couple moments when I craved one, but for most part, not. I was standing talking to a friend this evening who was puffing away, and she asked me, "Doesn't it bother you to be around people who are smoking?" and I realized I hadn't even noticed. Maybe it's thinking your next one could literally be your last one that makes it easier. I am not afraid of dying, but I sure don't want to have another heart attack! And it feels great to be free of them. I miss food more than I miss smoking. How about you? Do you eat differently now?

They did want me in cardiac rehab, but there are reasons I couldn't make it, so I'm taking care of myself. I walk every morning, and a friend sent me Dr. Ornish's books, so I'm reading those and watching what I eat. Of course, I'm on lots of meds, and taking fish oil, too. I think I'm doing about everything I can do.

I've been reading on the internet that heart attacks are generally more severe in women than in men, and from 38% to 44% of women who have heart attacks die within a year! Actually, right after mine, I read it was a whopping 68%, but I can't find that now. In the first year after a heart attack, women are 50% more likely to die than men are. In the first 6 years after a heart attack, women are almost twice as likely to have a second heart attack. I'm thinking it's because they don't make the necessary changes to their lifestyle, ie.; quitting smoking, getting enough exercise, eating right, taking their meds, etc. btw, thanks for the prayers. Right back at you!

Is this a personal experience? Her blog says she is "happily married" and the husband in the story is an asshole so I think it's fiction.
Uh oh. Someone failed reading comprehension (looks arounds at no one in particular). Sorry; gotta tease you a bit because you walked right into that one. The protag in my novel is happily married. I'm not going to make excuses for my husband. I will say that since he learned it was a heart attack, he's been a lot nicer to me.

If this is a true story then I hope you're doing better, and on the road to recovery. And thank you for sharing your experience.

As far as a piece of writing goes, it is excellent. The title alone made me click. I don't know if everyone will get the "dementer" reference at the end. I'm sure you could sell this to any number of women's magazines. Is your intent to just share your story with AW members? If you'd like a close crit to get it ready for sale I'd be happy to help out.
Thanks, Dolores. You think there are really people in the world who haven't read the Harry Potter books? Where is the little smileycon whose head hits the desk when I need him? I hadn't really thought about trying to publish it. Maybe I should. I accept your offer, and thanks.

I think the husband reacted normally - people are not at their best when a medical emergency happens. They don't want to believe it is serious...
Thanks, Kate. I'm sure he'd appreciate you giving him the benefit of the doubt. I can't say I was exactly on my best behaviour, either.

Beautiful, evocative writing.
Wow. Thanks, Monkey. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Huh. That's why I thought it was non-fiction. I would have had to drive myself.

We're no longer together.

It's a great piece, southern. Send it. LHJ. BHG. RD. Any. All. Every.
I'm sorry, Unique. I think that's terrible. We've been together 16 years tomorrow. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a man who worships me; other times, I think it'd be great to have no man at all. What about you? Seems there was something else I was going to say about this, but it's slipped my mind now. If I think of it, I'll pm you.

Thanks for your confidence that I could submit this. Since Dolores (and Monkey, sort of) mentioned it, I guess I'm in the market for critiques. Lemme see ... LHJ - Ladies Home Journal, right? What are the other two? I thought for a minute RD was Redbook, then I realized it couldn't be. Wait. Reader's Digest? What's the other one? Hold on; it just came to me. Better Homes and Gardens. I like that mag. When I used to buy magazines, I had a subscription to that one. I don't recall any articles like this in it, though.

My dad had a widowmaker, so I feel for you. You've got quite a recovery but know this... they said that rare few actually survive a widowmaker, so count yourself fortunate no matter what.

I wish you well on your recovery
Thanks, Tina. I hope the same for your dad. I know it's probably not supposed to be funny, but I still chuckle at the way people bandy that word about. Widowmaker. It's sounds so ominous. I think people just like saying it. As words go, it's an excellent one. It's certainly descriptive in an unmistakable way, don't you think?

For those of you who have offered your assistance, I should probably let you know I work at night and sleep in the mornings, so I won't be around until late afternoon.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
That's gotta be scary. Did someone perform CPR? Yes. I had it while having a thallium stress test in the cardiac lab at a medical center. I was actually pretty calm through the whole thing, surprisingly so, in retrospect.

:eek: Why were you awake??? They said they gave me drugs, but not enough to knock me out. They said I needed to be awake so I could tell thme what was happening or if I had pain.

How about you? Do you eat differently now? Just a little different. I didn't have an MI, but just the sudden death. An MI involves tissue death and my heart had no damage. I've never been a big fried foods, fast food, meat eater. My hyperlipidemia is hereditary.

They did want me in cardiac rehab, but there are reasons I couldn't make it, so I'm taking care of myself. I walk every morning, and a friend sent me Dr. Ornish's books, so I'm reading those and watching what I eat. Of course, I'm on lots of meds, and taking fish oil, too. I think I'm doing about everything I can do. Good luck with that. I'm sure your cardiologist can recommend an exercise program for you. It's important to strengthen the heart.

I've been reading on the internet that heart attacks are generally more severe in women than in men, and from 38% to 44% of women who have heart attacks die within a year! Actually, right after mine, I read it was a whopping 68%, but I can't find that now. In the first year after a heart attack, women are 50% more likely to die than men are. In the first 6 years after a heart attack, women are almost twice as likely to have a second heart attack. I'm thinking it's because they don't make the necessary changes to their lifestyle, ie.; quitting smoking, getting enough exercise, eating right, taking their meds, etc. Because women don't usually have classic symptoms, they may have an MI and not know it. The most common risk is sudden death within a certain time period after an MI. btw, thanks for the prayers. Right back at you! You're welcome and thanks.

Good luck.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I thought it was just a story.

I hope you get better.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
I remember something I was going to tell y'all. My hospital bill was $38,154.88. (Enough to give me another heart attack!) Then I got another bill from the doctor in the ER for $900, and I'm still getting bills from people I didn't know were there, for things I didn't know they did. :eek:

Sonya Vaughn has a blog up in support of national health care, and I urge everyone who's uninsured (or loves someone who's uninsured) to go visit it at http://projectcare.blogspot.com/

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Would you mind defining "sudden death?" It may not damage the heart, but it sure doesn't sound any better than an MI.

It's not that sudden death doesn't damage the heart. I just happened to have what's known as sudden cardiac death without ever having had an MI. A Myocardial Infarction (MI, Heart Attack) damages the heart tissue to the point of tissue death. In other words, there will be a part of the heart muscle that has 'died', as it were. Angina, or chest pain, doesn't result in permanent tissue damage.

The 'sudden death' after an MI is just what it says: the patient suddenly dies. Sometimes that's the first symptom someone has. There are lots of what are commonlly called 'silent MIs' in which the symptoms are so mild they aren't noticeable or there are no symptoms at all.

Don't let yourself worry unnecessarily about such things. Just take your meds, eat right, don't smoke and get moderate exercise and you should do fine.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
What a harrowing story! I wish you all the best, including paying that enormous bill.

As an aside, I thought this story was riveting. I didn't skip one word of the entire thing - do think about sending it off, as it certainly deserves to be read by a wider audience. You've got a winner here, for sure. I just wish it didn't come at such a high price for you.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
That is so scary. I'm so glad to hear you are doing better.

My editor had one back in February, here at the newspaper. One of our reporters did CPR on him until the paramedics got here, but he still wasn't breathing. When they got him to the hospital, one of the doctors said he was brain dead, but luckily, he wasn't. He's retired now, but doing pretty well on the whole.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southern glad you are doing better.

Your words are powerful and should be shouting out to all women. I do think they need to be in all mags--Try Oprah's "O" mag. I can not for the life of me imagine any magazine turning this down--perfect as is, and kept me reading up to the last word--in fact disregarded the phone ringing.
hugs

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Very scary.

And funny enough 1), my (US Citizen) mother and I were just this morning discussing the fact that when she was nursing here (UK), she witnessed loads of Americans 'abusing' (her words) the UK National Health system by coming here to have their babies, rather than pay 30 grand in their own country. And my view is, 'Well, can you blame them!' I still can't believe that you can be charged nearly $40,000 for hospital care. This should be available for all and every person free of charge. I know that there are hospitals that cater for people with no insurance and no money, but my understanding is that these are too few and too ill-equipped. Scary, scary, scary.

2) Visiting my ma at her UK house, we were nosing out the window at our neighbour's house, because an ambulance had come for the invalid wife. I thought she looked really pale. Just found out the poor woman was dead, they just hadn't covered her face.

Thanks for the post. I think you should submit like mad. It's fantastically-written and captivating from start to finish, as well as being relevant and important.
Good luck, and good health.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
SW, I'm glad you're gonna be okay. You certainly are fortunate :Hug2:
Lots of luck to you on your recovery, too. Listen to your doc, follow the instructions to the letter; diet, meds and exercise. Hugely crucial.

I agree w/ Unique, you really should try and get this piece published. Too many women experience silent MI's and don't make it. It's one of the top killers among women because they aren't aware of the symptoms. And, because they do vary so differently from those of men. Women are wired so differently to deal w/ pain...we're used to it. The impending doom, btw, is sooooo classic.

As an EMT, I've seen women not get to the ED in time, or not call us (911), in time. Men don't, either, because they misunderstand the symptoms as well. One guy thought he was experiencing indigestion from his lunch. We lost him, en-route.

You've got numerous points, in your story that are strong message points: Family members need to be aware of signs & symptoms, too.

How dangerous it can be to drive, either yourself or a sick family member to the hospital, in lieu of calling 911, are 2 that immediately come to mind.

An advanced life support ambulance (ALS paramedics and EMT's), which would have been dispatched, in your case, would have been able to administer drugs to you. Such as nitro and they would have started an IV line, too. W/ lights and sirens, they would have gotten you to the nearest hospital that had a cardio/cath lab, also.

Here's a frightening scenario: The area in which I live has 3 hospitals, and only 1 of them has a cardio cath lab. What if your husband had driven you to the wrong one? Granted, all 3 are within 20 minutes of each other, but you'd be dead by the time you figured out which one was the correct one. Besides, a rig can get you there in 1/2 the time and w/ the drugs needed, on-board, your survival rate is that much higher. Also, the frantic/nervousness of said driver.

Seriously, please consider submitting to this the women's magazines that Unique mentioned. Like I said, and it bears repeating, you have an important message that needs to be heard, SW. It very well could save another woman's life.

Pay it forward.