Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
So, came home from work to find 2 publisher rejections. Never a good sign when you get anything self-addressed! A little envelope with a "Dear Author" form letter--and a big one, with a ms. box inside, and a little sticky note.

Not that these are my first. But normally they get filtered through my agent. These came directly to me, since I'd had more of a hand in the submission, I guess. Bummer to get them on the same day--and also because they both had seemed like smaller/niche kinds of places, where I should have a better shot than the "big houses." Ironic that these were about the most unprofessional "no thank you's" I've received!

Sigh. Full ms. out at just 2 other places. If that doesn't work, I think I retire that old memoir for a while, and move on to this mystery I'm toying with. New vistas for rejection await!

Meanwhile, I'm drinking a nice rose and my husband is making dinner.

Sorry for moaning...

Susan

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Moaning is what this forum is here for!! At least I hope so because that's what I do here.

You have an agent. You have requests for fulls. I wouldn't give up yet. An acceptance could be right around the corner. Best of luck!

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Well, poop. I'm in the same boat. Agented MS getting rejected. I'm up to five rejections now. It sux.

But, look at it this way. You have an agent, at least. That's better than most. That means someone in the industry believes in you and your work. That's always a good thing.

Best of luck with your other submissions.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about the rejections but somebody liked something or you would not have an agent. Keep on submitting and good luck. Don't mind this wonderful shade of green I'm wearing right now because you have an agent.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, rats, Susan. Don't worry, just hang in there. You and your agent will eventually find your ms a home.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Thanks, everyone!

Thanks so much, everyone! It gave me a boost to read all your messages!

I do feel fortunate to have an agent. It's a vote of confidence, and I know my proposal got seen by editors who wouldn't have otherwise looked at it.

But there's another side to it. When you get rejections, even with an agent behind you (and numbers-wise, I've got you beat, I'm sorry to say, David!)--well, it really makes you doubt your work. I can't say that doors weren't open to me, or that my agent didn't work hard--she did. And now, if it gets rejected even by the smaller-but-respectable "niche publishers" I found--well, I do think it may be the end of the line for this book.

I guess the other thing is that this was my first full ms. (as opposed to proposal) that got read and rejected. And there was the damn thing, come home to roost in my living room!

It made it very real, like "Here's your ugly baby back!"

(Well, the little sticky note from the editor actually said "Sorry--Our readers liked it, but the Big Boss is going with other projects right now."

Oh well, on to my day job...

Good luck to all of you! May we all succeed soon!

Susan

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Susan, I truly feel your pain. Here's a huge hug and a vat of wine coming your way.

Don't give up hope - you still have two submissions out. That's two more than a lot of us have!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Susan, I truly feel your pain. Here's a huge hug and a vat of wine coming your way.

Don't give up hope - you still have two submissions out. That's two more than a lot of us have!

Thanks so much--though I don't know about that vat of wine. That would sure interfere with writing :)

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
so close

Susan
The piece of the puzzle about the readers liking it a lot and the big boss nixing it is very telling...and it's telling you this was a very near miss! Meaning absolutely arbitrary and nothing's wrong with your MS...it just wasn't his or her favorite.... think about it...it's more reason for postive than neg response...

Hang in there and shift attention to anything else avail...as I try to convince myself to do the same...

Best

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Susan. Here's hoping one of these two other places takes on your book. I bet one of them will.

Status
Not open for further replies.