How does reading effect your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago a member of AW asked for a list of books to read, because she'd just finished her WIP and had been out of the loop as far as what was going on in the world of books. I was a bit surprised by that, because often, when I feel stalled in my writing, I just have to pick up a book of say, Faulkner or Nabokov or someone I really admire--including comtemporary writers--and I get ignited. How about you? Do you read for inspiration or do you see it as a distraction?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
While I'm writing, I actually try not to read in the exact genre I'm writing -- I feel like it keeps my head clear and stops me from second-guessing myself. I do read, though, just different sorts of stuff. After Stargazer is finished, I'll dive back into urban fantasy and YA; right now, though, I am relaxing with nonfiction, sci-fi and suspense.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
I read for pleasure more than anything else. I'm not sure where the inspiration to write comes from, but I don't think it's the books I read and enjoy.

My writing is very different to that of my favourite authors, and that's due to a conscious effort on my part. If I tried to emulate their styles it would be a disaster. I'm more likely to be inspired by something that's not very good, because if a crappy novel can make it onto a bookshop shelf, there's hope for all of us.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I learn something from every single book I read.

That said, I'd say I'm more affected than effected.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I learn something from every single book I read.

That said, I'd say I'm more affected than effected.

I debated whether I should use the word "affected" when I asked the question. But for me, there is just somekind of visceral effect when I read a really good writer, and it makes me want to write also.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I only get encouraged to hurry up and finish a WIP, if any motivation at all comes from a book I am reading. I read for relaxation and pleasure and don't want to stop and put the book down. And I do write and read the same genre but it's like I see each author as having his/her own story to tell.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I read every single day. I have to. I'm a crazy reader. But I do not read for inspiration. I read because I have to read all the books out there. I write because I'm creative and writing is a fabulous outlet for me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Reading

If I didn't read when writing, I'd never again read another novel. I write pretty much every day, and will continue to do so for as long as I can still think.

My own opinion is that the dumbest thing any writer can do is to stop reading while writing. The whole point of reading is supposed to be teaching one how to write, and there isn't a damned thing wrong with imitating the style of your favorite writer. Unless, of course, your goal is a trunk full of rejections.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I go in cycles. When I finish a manuscript, I start reading like a madwoman. That will continue until I'm about a third of the way into the next novel. Then I stop. Simply because I pick up whatever style I'm currently reading, so if I want to keep my novel consistent in terms of style, I've got to stay immersed in it, totally.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I read for pleasure more than anything else. I'm not sure where the inspiration to write comes from, but I don't think it's the books I read and enjoy.

My writing is very different to that of my favourite authors, and that's due to a conscious effort on my part. If I tried to emulate their styles it would be a disaster. I'm more likely to be inspired by something that's not very good, because if a crappy novel can make it onto a bookshop shelf, there's hope for all of us.
Seems to me that consciously trying not to be like someone would be as bad as trying to be like them.
IMHO, you should be trying to be like you - and that shouldn't take too much effort.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
You inspired me to go look this up.

'Affect' is the verb. So we are affected by something.
'Effect' is the noun, so it's the effect that's brought about by the cause.

Thank you for today's lesson!

And in answer to the question, I try to read between writing sessions. I find it's hard for me to keep the same 'voice' going thoughout a manuscript, so I don't like to confuse my poor ole haid.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Effect can also be used as a verb, when it means "to cause directly." That was what I meant by my play on words. Reading influences me, but does not directly cause any changes.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Satanic Verses for the first time and it's not helping matters.
Generally, I like reading a lot of different books in a space of time when I'm not writing so that when I do write no one style sticks out in my head and over-influences me.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hey, Shadylane - you're right! I totally missed the verb 'effect' when I looked it up - that's got to be a trifocal moment. So, we can 'effect' change, as well. Excellent grammar learning experience for me!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
When I get blocked up I go sit on the couch and read a favorite book. It gives me permission to carry on and stop hesitating. Now if I'm reading King, for some reason his style begins to creep into my own and there appears a marked difference in my voice when this happens. My agent has seen this and warned me about. So I have to be careful.

Tri

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
The inspiration for a current contest entry I'm writing is based on a book (or rather a significant part of a series) I read recently. I took the very basics of a single character and molded him in a character of my own. So I'd say writing inspires. Without the book, I probably wouldn't have had that idea.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
When I get blocked up I go sit on the couch and read a favorite book. It gives me permission to carry on and stop hesitating. Now if I'm reading King, for some reason his style begins to creep into my own and there appears a marked difference in my voice when this happens. My agent has seen this and warned me about. So I have to be careful.

Tri

This happens to me when I go back and read Faulkner. If I'm not careful, my sentences begin to go on and on in a kind of stream-of-consciousness-kind-of-a way and then I have to go back and make shorter sentences out of the longer ones which then makes me look at the entire range of what I was trying to write and wonder if I really meant that or whether I had some intractable notion that was caught up in the raitocinative moment when I was putting the idea down and then I realized that yes, I had the thought and as the breeze began to...sorry.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I find reading a book in the same genre as whatever I'm writing to be a big help. OK, there's the danger of unconsciously copying the book but as long as I'm aware of it, I can avoid it.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you don't know the difference between affect and effect, please stop writing and figure it out first!! Good lord, people!!

Anyway, reading teaches me what I like and what I want to read. If I read something and I think it is too wordy, then I know not to do that. It teaches you the good and the bad.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I read to escape but I just found out recently that reading while writing is a great inspiration. Right before Harry Potter came out I had a few books going and I wanted to finish them before Harry arrived so I devoured them in a short period of time. Wow. My brain woke up and editing became a lot easier and dare I say, somewhat fun. So, yeah, it does light a fire under my rump to get things done and at a faster, more productive, pace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.