the agency's everyday expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina

Do most agencies charge for everyday costs, such as photocopying? Anyone? Thanks.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Still, some legitimate agencies do, or pass the cost to you by asking for six copies ready for submission up front.
Are you asking because you're trying to vet an agent?

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
At the conference I attended, this question was asked to a panel and the consensus seemed to be that photocopying is an expense that is completely legitimate to charge for. However, several agents said that although it is acceptable, they do not agree with it.

Karen

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
If they take you on they'll never charge you because they'll be worried about upsetting you. Before you're taken on, I can't imagine they'd charge you either.

Carolina

Thank you guys. Yes, I'm in negotiations and it seems so hard. It's a highly reccomended agency, according to most lists, but my lawyer thinks the expense thing is outrageous. What's more, I'm a writer and I don't charge a magazine everytime I send a fax! Keep the posts coming. I want to hear as much as possible.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
A former agent of mine used to ask me to provide x number of copies of a manuscript she intended to shop. Occasionally she used my FedEx number (with my permission) to overnight materials when that seemed appropriate. She was a fine agent and sold tons of books for me so I never thought anything of it and she never profited from the expense reimbursement.

My current agent has never asked for a dime in reimbursement or for me to provide copies or anything like that, and she was shocked when I said she could use my FedEx number to ship some overnight materials to editors -- and refused. She is also a fine agent who has sold books for me.

I wouldn't necessarily let a thing like photocopying expenses stop you from signing an otherwise acceptable contract with a legitimate agency. If it would make you (and your lawyer) feel better, have the clause revised -- it could say something like "author will provide copies as requested or reimburse agency expenses for same at the rate of $x per page" and you could also include something like "expenses above $50 must be approved by author first."

It's great to have a lawyer look over the contract -- wish more writers did -- but if he's not a literary lawyer accustomed to the standards of the business, he may unnecessarily do you out of a deal.

FWIW,
Jennifer Lawler

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No charges for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.