PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Miss from the 1840's?

Jaycinth
08-22-2007, 09:31 PM
1- Lack of electrical bills.
2- 4 and 6 hp transportation that got you there without gasoline.
3- My cloisonné chamber pot.
4- Servants.
5- Silk dresses with big skirts
6- No crowds protesting over the deployment of troops to Afghanistan.
7- No Iraq.
8- No Iran, either.
9- No problems with nuclear proliferation.
10- Few, if any crime scene investigators; and those that are around are hopelessly inept.
11- Conversations about zombies make people faint and not yawn.
12- Sunlight.

III
08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Dang, Jaycinth, I knew you were old, but ....

Little Red Barn
08-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Pure spring water w/o the packaging.

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Prostitutes.

Shady Lane
08-22-2007, 09:37 PM
People who didn't use contractions.

;)

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Fewer civil rights than I have now.

Higher incidents of water-borne disease.

Lack of air conditioning.

Jersey Chick
08-22-2007, 11:24 PM
No traffic on the Garden State Parkway or the NJ Turnpike

No beach badges

No beach gestaspo to make sure you're wearing your effin' beach badge

Ah... the 1840s - when the men were men...

and so were the women ;)

PattiTheWicked
08-22-2007, 11:29 PM
1. Corsets and crinolines
2. My barouche
3. Men in breeches
4. No television, we just sat up and read by candlelight each evening
5. That whole "Hey kids, let's take the Oregon Trail this summer!"

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Ah... the 1840s - when the men were men...
And the sheep were worried...

Christine N.
08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Corsets.

Oh, wait, no. Don't miss them. Stays suck.

Lyra Jean
08-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Not needing a job outside the home. (Hey I'm a woman).
No Martha Stewart.
Ladies Home Journal.

PattiTheWicked
08-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Corsets.

Oh, wait, no. Don't miss them. Stays suck.

Oh, they're not bad if you use the whalebone ones, or better yet, the faux-bone. It's the steel ones that'll jab an extra hole in your boobage.

Corsets give you great posture, and they make your rack look spectacular.

jennifer75
08-23-2007, 12:23 AM
How much did milk cost in the 1840's? That's what I miss. And the bread too. Everything. That didn't cost $6.

RumpleTumbler
08-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I'd like to say the values but they may have been just as corrupt.

zahra
08-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Memorial photos.

Paid companions.

Poisoning one's husband (Whatever happened to that? In the old days, you couldn't move without tripping over some bird who'd put rat poison in hubby's night-time posset. Sigh - women today, eh?)

Gentlemen callers.

Smelling salts. Swooning.

Blokes having to state their intentions before they even got a snog (unless you were the under-house parlourmaid, in which case they sweet-talked you into bed, got you pregnant and then did a runner, leaving you to desolation and ruin)

Newgate Prison

Children being seen and not heard

Attics, not lofts

The mad maiden auntie therein

Laudanum

Freak shows

Cads being horse-whipped by angry fathers

Bloomers

Younger sons being sent abroad in disgrace

Decanters

Proper prams, the kind that wouldn't even fit in most hallways now

Those scary dolls

Rocking-horses

Azraelsbane
08-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Prostitutes.

Don't travel much, eh? ;) j/k

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Oh, they're not bad if you use the whalebone ones, or better yet, the faux-bone. It's the steel ones that'll jab an extra hole in your boobage.

Corsets give you great posture, and they make your rack look spectacular.

I have a steel one. It sucks. But it does give me a great rack. My boobs come into the room three minutes before me :D

I have a Ren Faire dress with plastic boning in the back, and it is supportive, posture-wise.

I just hate the idea of squashing my internal organs all around for it.

Oh, yanno what eles I miss? Shoes with buttons. BUTTONS!

Mandy-Jane
08-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Oh, yanno what eles I miss? Shoes with buttons. BUTTONS!

I LOVE shoes with buttons. They're totally gorgeous!

I miss that fact that going somewhere on a ship was such a big thing back then. Ships everywhere. No planes. I would have loved it!

KTC
08-23-2007, 03:59 AM
Dust.

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Midwives.

Lyra Jean
08-23-2007, 04:06 AM
I have two Victorian corsets. They take off four inches. Elizabethan corsets are more natural shaped maybe you could try one of those?

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Elegant dinner parties and women with parasols. Genteelnees and honest hospitality.

Of course, I don't miss things like cholera, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, TB outbreaks and bad dental hygiene.

Rosemerry, I HAVE an Elizabethan corset. Nightmare. Of course I don't think it was fitted properly.

KTC
08-23-2007, 04:25 AM
The bitter smell of body odor.

PattiTheWicked
08-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Some of these are lovely too:

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Coats/victmantfur450x50.jpg

Oh, and top hats! I went grunge-spelunking at a thrift store and found a ratty old top hat, probably from someone's halloweenery, but it's really cool. I'm going to re-cover it and add some ribbons. Hopefully I won't come out looking like Willy Wonka or Pete Doherty.

KTC
08-23-2007, 04:30 AM
pissing into a hole inside a wooden box.

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Showers and indoor plumbing.

Not needing to pull down my underpants to do #2.

Not needing to shave.

And digging holes and building the railroads for the red-haired devils.

LloydBrown
08-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I love the whole secession atmosphere, before a million deaths really soured the idea for a lot of people. There was a big feeling of regional pride and independence. It was nice.

Unique
08-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Making pictures out of the hair of dead loved ones. good times. good times.

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 05:12 AM
TAKING pictures of the dead for keepsakes.

Sorry, that's. just.creepy.

Lyra Jean
08-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Maybe the dead were restless while alive. Ya know how long you have to standstill to get a tintype taken. No wonder no one ever smiles in those.

Unique
08-23-2007, 05:45 AM
TAKING pictures of the dead for keepsakes.

Sorry, that's. just.creepy.

Hey, now. I have some of those pictures. I don't think they were from the 1840's tho-

Maybe. I don't know. They're dead and I can't ask 'em. :Shrug:

Soccer Mom
08-23-2007, 05:51 AM
1. throwing a cup of lye into the privy each day to keep it from stinking.

2. corncob toilet paper.

3. three to a bed.

4. Hunting down the cow in the woods to put her up.

5. up at dawn to milk said cow and then turn her out.

6. wearing wool in the summer because it was less likely to go up in flames as I tend the fire.

7. Hauling water.

8. Chopping wood.

9. Maple sugaring.

10. Harvesting Bees.

11. School 4 mos of the year.

12. Hope chests with handmade quilts.

TrainofThought
08-23-2007, 05:56 AM
3. three to a bed.I miss that too. :Thumbs:

SpookyWriter
08-23-2007, 06:04 AM
I usually forget to add line 345 and line 346 so my adjusted gross income is always off a few hundred bucks. I wish they'd make that dang 1040's easier to fill out.

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 06:32 AM
pissing into a hole inside a wooden box.
I was going to say pooping in a hole in the ground.

Laundry Day actually being an entire day.

Having to be careful with the matches when lighting the lamps in the parlor.

Soccer Mom
08-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Wow! You had a parlor? We were still living in a cabin, but were cutting logs to clear the field and so we could build a real house with a floor and everything.

Color me jealous.

CaroGirl
08-23-2007, 06:42 AM
1. Spats (or am I too early?)
2. The smell of horseshit in the air
3. Playing ball with an inflated pig bladder
4. Petticoats
5. Playing with barrel hoops
6. Playing with barrels
7. The sound of the sawmill

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Killing someone and getting away with it. It was the wild, wild west.

Shadow_Ferret
08-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Real Beer.
No one concerned with designated drivers.
Cigarettes that you had to roll yourself.
Being a highwayman.

"Give me all your lupins!"

Soccer Mom
08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
9. Running over ferrets with my wagon and mule team while in a drunken stupor.

Good times. :)

William Haskins
08-23-2007, 07:06 AM
walter cronkite.

akiwiguy
08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Bein able to shoot someone stone dead for lookin at ma missus the wrong way.

paprikapink
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Real dark skies with real bright stars.

Lyra Jean
08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Getting a penny for Christmas and it's the best present ever.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Xx|The men with a fashion sense and some elegance. (More so the further back you go...back into perhaps 1200 or so.)

Gorgeous dresses that weren't formal, and even more gorgeous ones that were formal.

People having jobs/businesses/respect/whatnot by the age of fourteen. Married sometimes just as early. All instead of being stuck in school, being brainwashed and turned out like a product in a factory.

None of this PC BS and censoring crap, etc.

Generally better ideals, perspectives, outlooks, et cetera...

I like the old days. Say, 1600s, especially. And 1700s, and 1500s on back into the 1000s...:tongue|xX

Kentuk
08-23-2007, 09:08 AM
calling cards

poetinahat
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
(ETA: I should apologise in advance for a cranky post. I think I broke my funny bone on holiday....)

Xx|The men with a fashion sense and some elegance. (More so the further back you go...back into perhaps 1200 or so.)

Gorgeous dresses that weren't formal, and even more gorgeous ones that were formal.

But for what proportion of the population? (I do agree, though -- style has deteriorated in recent years.)

People having jobs/businesses/respect/whatnot by the age of fourteen. Married sometimes just as early. All instead of being stuck in school, being brainwashed and turned out like a product in a factory.
Me, I'll take weekends, a living wage, employee rights, medical care, retirement benefits, and decent public education. If you believe that education equates to brainwashing, try the alternative.

Sure, political correctness has its annoyances, but it's minor compared to flat-out censorship and persecution. Consider Socrates, Oscar Wilde, Rousseau, Galileo, Baudelaire, Martin Luther, or the Marquis de Sade.

Generally better ideals, perspectives, outlooks, et cetera...
I'd be interested to hear more on this point. What comes to mind for me is slavery, indentured servitude, primogeniture and dowries, sale of indulgences, and women not having the right to vote -- and homosexuality being a capital crime.

I like the old days. Say, 1600s, especially. And 1700s, and 1500s on back into the 1000s...:tongue

It would've been fascinating being in the time of Darwin and Marx, but I'll stay right here and watch Brideshead again, thanks.

maxmordon
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
José Antonio Páez and Carlos Soublette

JLCwrites
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Midwives.

Had one with my second pregnancy.

A. Hamilton
08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Barn raisings.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Xx|
(ETA: I should apologise in advance for a cranky post. I think I broke my funny bone on holiday....)
I'll take it lightly, then. :3

But for what proportion of the population? (I do agree, though -- style has deteriorated in recent years.)

I'll grant you, I speak more of aristocrats and ladies. Think John Wilmot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilmot%202nd%20Earl%20of%20Rochester%20) <3

Me, I'll take weekends, a living wage, employee rights, medical care, retirement benefits, and decent public education. If you believe that education equates to brainwashing, try the alternative.

Education in and of itself is not. Public education today, yes, it is brainwashing. Schools, public, private, and even homeschooling to some extent, are complete brainwashing. Other than our financial problems, if it wasn't for such strict "kids must do this" laws (IE, schools, etc.), we could start up a business in my name. I'm capable. I can turn out a product, I can plan, I can run a business--if I'm just given the chance.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. But yes, today's education does equate to brainwashing. :)

Sure, political correctness has its annoyances, but it's minor compared to flat-out censorship and persecution. Consider Socrates, Oscar Wilde, Rousseau, Galileo, Baudelaire, Martin Luther, or the Marquis de Sade.

I'm talkin' someone like John Wilmot, whom I mentioned up there, being allowed to do what he did. Horribly explicit and erotic libel, slandering the king, openly. He was praised and condemned for it in equal amounts. People's opinions are fine, but they made no law to execute him for it or anything. Granted the king was pretty angry with him, but he kept bringing him back! XD

Of course he was 1647 - 1680, so I'm too early with him. Still...

I'd be interested to hear more on this point. What comes to mind for me is slavery, indentured servitude, primogeniture and dowries, sale of indulgences, and women not having the right to vote -- and homosexuality being a capital crime.

I'm thinking adventurous life and dramatic romances because they didn't get to live all that long, so they lived life to its fullest. Valuing the loves in their lives. Valuing marriage and upholding it, as it was meant to be and should be. The arts were magnificent, too. John Wilmot, Edgar Allen Poe, so on and so forth (okay, neither of them were 1840s, but still). Not to say this doesn't happen today, but the majority's outlook is not the same as this. The divorce rate higher than the marriage rate, murderers murdering, people deceiving and back stabbing--and again, not to say that never happened back then, either, I'm just talking overall--laziness, carelessness. People throwing their lives away.

It would've been fascinating being in the time of Darwin and Marx, but I'll stay right here and watch Brideshead again, thanks.

XD Really, remember that this is a thread about what we miss from the 1840s. We're not saying we want to bring the 1840s (or any other time for that matter) back in full, but what good points would we pull from this particular era should we try to compile the perfect society. We'd have these good points from this era, but this from this era, not this...et cetera. That kind of thing. What do we want from then that we don't have today? What would make today better? Etc., etc.

I understand having a bad day--I have plenty of days in which by the end of it, I'd tear out the throat of the next person to bother me. I understand completely, but I can't help but wonder, what about me and my post that made me the "next person to bother" you? It's hard to communicate over the internet, so take my word for it when I say it's purely curiosity. I'm not whining or accusing or anything. :tongue

Toodles~! |xX

oswann
08-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Xx|

Education in and of itself is not. Public education today, yes, it is brainwashing. Schools, public, private, and even homeschooling to some extent, are complete brainwashing. Other than our financial problems, if it wasn't for such strict "kids must do this" laws (IE, schools, etc.), we could start up a business in my name. I'm capable. I can turn out a product, I can plan, I can run a business--if I'm just given the chance.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. But yes, today's education does equate to brainwashing. :)
|xX

This is bollocks.

Os.

Unique
08-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Bein able to shoot someone stone dead for lookin at ma missus the wrong way.

I miss that, too. Aim lower next time. (Nice shot, btw)

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-23-2007, 02:02 PM
This is bollocks.

Os.

Xx| Oh? On what grounds?

I really would rather not argue. But I also don't like it when someone disagrees with my stated case and fails to state theirs...

:Shrug:

Perhaps "brainwashing" is the wrong word? How about...demeaning? Oh, there really is no better word for it than brainwashing... |xX

PattiTheWicked
08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Xx|All instead of being stuck in school, being brainwashed and turned out like a product in a factory.
|xX

I have to disagree with the idea of education as brainwashing. I'm not sure where you live, but in our school district I truly believe our kids are given the skills that they'll need to function later on. They're taught critical thinking, not just memorization. They're encouraged to question and analyse, rather than just accepting point-blank what some textbook says. Independent study is encouraged, and our kids can take vocational training in addition to their academic classes, if they choose. There's a strong emphasis on thinking outside the box.

If you're in a progressive school district that's willing to spend money on constant improvement, education is actually education, not brainwashing :)

Unique
08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I didn't find public school to be brainwashing in the 70's - now - um. yeah. that's why I homeschool.

I was in PS from 1967-1979. YMMV.

Haggis
08-23-2007, 04:27 PM
This is bollocks.

Os.

Absolutely. I went to public schools. There's nothing wrong with me.

Oh, wait...

Bmwhtly
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
What do I miss from the 1840's?

I miss the only of keeping in touch with far-flung relatives was writing letters.

So you were guaranteed not to hear back form them for a month.

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Wow! You had a parlor? We were still living in a cabin, but were cutting logs to clear the field and so we could build a real house with a floor and everything.

Color me jealous.
Why is this...PERSON...speaking to me? I don't remember giving them permission to even look in my general direction. Excuse me. I seem to be coming down with a case of the vapors...

oswann
08-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Xx| Oh? On what grounds?

I really would rather not argue. But I also don't like it when someone disagrees with my stated case and fails to state theirs...

:Shrug:

Perhaps "brainwashing" is the wrong word? How about...demeaning? Oh, there really is no better word for it than brainwashing... |xX

It's bollocks because dismissing the entire western world's education system as being either demeaning or brainwashing is the sort of generality which someone who has started developing more sophisticated reasoning like you shouldn't even consider defending. You have no possible argument, whether you enjoy arguing or not, which will take away the vulgarity and ridiculousness of the statement.

It's really not a question of semantics, you can choose any verb you want, and it will still be bollocks.

Os.

WordGypsy
08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I miss it when in the 1840's all the AW's could get together in the knitting circle and talk about what they missed from the 1790's without it turning into a cow dung throwing debate on public schools!!!!

WordGypsy
08-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh, and those cute outlaw boys with the blue eyes that would steal into town for a night or two and then ride back out of my life....*swoon!

oswann
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh, and those cute outlaw boys with the blue eyes that would steal into town for a night or two and then ride back out of my life....*swoon!

Are they the ones who washed once every two years or the really dirty ones?

Os.

Meerkat
08-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Do I miss the 1840's? Dude! We were like, stoked about the 'rush and all. We'd be like, whoa--a hay ride? I'm in! Then as we're cruisin along, checking out the babes' ankles, some of the stuffed shirts are rolling these political slogans around. They're all like "Tippecanoe and" some such, and "Remember the" someplace or other. And he goes, my buddy Abe, he goes, he goes "hey Dad--remember this!"

I about fell off the haywagon! Yeah, we totally miss the 1840's...

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Are they the ones who washed once every two years or the really dirty ones?

Os.
I feel another case of the vapors comin' on...:e2thud:

waylander
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
The British Empire, the Royal Navy

Kate Thornton
08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Shortened life expectancy.
Shorter people, come to think of it. Those short guys were cute....

zahra
08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey, now. I have some of those pictures. I don't think they were from the 1840's tho-

Maybe. I don't know. They're dead and I can't ask 'em. :Shrug:
There's nowt wrong with memorial photos - they top my list. I plan to have a lovely dress and my hair done and be propped up by a bar for mine.

I really like looking at them online. Scan and post yours, pretty please?

Unique
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
There's nowt wrong with memorial photos - they top my list. I plan to have a lovely dress and my hair done and be propped up by a bar for mine.

I really like looking at them online. Scan and post yours, pretty please?

Sure. I'll have to dig through the box marked, 'Instant Ancestors' but I think I can find them.

**IA - long story...

zahra
08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Xx|

:tongue|xX

Are you kidding??!! Books with the word 'damn' asterisked out? Maids not being allowed to have their own names if the name was considered too fancy for their station? Being considered not respectable if you didn't go to church?

Oh, there was political correctness, my friend. Always has been. Trouble is, it was to the benefit of the ruling classes - they were the ones who set the rules. People only started objecting when the less powerful in society began to demand some of that-all.

KTC
08-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Miss Trixie Benign...the hooker from the corner of Main and 6th from the years 1843-1847. What a doll!

BenPanced
08-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Children starched within an inch of their lives.

The rumble of the coal as it was dumped into the bin, in the cellar.

Wood slats for sidewalks.

Dirt roads loaded with horse apples.

zahra
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Miss Trixie Benign...the hooker from the corner of Main and 6th from the years 1843-1847. What a doll!
The one who died of the syph after infecting half the men in the 'hood? :)

Ooh, I've thought of another one: A world in which Jack the Ripper did not exist.

Lyra Jean
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
The Boston Strangler.

zahra
08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
The Boston Strangler.
Eh? Wasn't he in the sixties? The 1960s?

Lyra Jean
08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
oops so he was. I got confuzzled because Television shows always talk about them at the same time I thought they were contemporaries.

But let's not forget everyone's favorite girl Typhoid Mary.

zahra
08-24-2007, 07:05 PM
oops so he was. I got confuzzled because Television shows always talk about them at the same time I thought they were contemporaries.

But let's not forget everyone's favorite girl Typhoid Mary.
Ah, yes. The cook with the extra ingredient. We like her.

oswann
08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Eh? Wasn't he in the sixties? The 1960s?

No, you're thinking of the Boise Strangler.

Os.

C.bronco
08-24-2007, 08:27 PM
How about running amok in Virginia with Edgar Allen Poe? Good times...

Joe270
08-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Indians.
Buffalo.

Jaycinth
08-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I do so miss that long ocean voyage to France with my momma/servant because the plantation owner's new in-laws do not like seeing his features on my face and do not like my momma sharing his bed, and besides the schools are better in France and he feels I'll find a more suitable husband there than in North Carolina because 'old harpies talk'.

writerterri
08-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Prostitutes.

Hanging my leg out the window waiting for Raymond "The Cattle Prod" Wong to ride into town.

*sigh* Those were the days.

Unique
08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Check it out (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/uniquematerial/?action=view&current=thedead.jpg).

Here's the kin (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/uniquematerial/?action=view&current=familyofsomeone.jpg) (of someone - maybe me, maybe not)

and my favorite crew (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/uniquematerial/?action=view&current=thecoolcrew.jpg)- I don't know. They look like they'd have been fun to hang out with ..

BenPanced
08-31-2007, 01:16 AM
Women and children were seen and hardly heard.

zahra
08-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for that and have a rep on me.

The bird in the last photo looks like a hellcat, and her brothers look (quite rightly) terrified. They know that as soon as the photo is done, she's going to smack them on the head with a chamberpot, or something, and they can't do anything or she'll say, 'For shame, Bertie, would you hit a girl?'

Haggis
08-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Check it out (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/uniquematerial/?action=view&current=thedead.jpg).

Are you sure that's not Spooky?

Unique
08-31-2007, 01:38 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for that and have a rep on me.

The bird in the last photo looks like a hellcat, and her brothers look (quite rightly) terrified. They know that as soon as the photo is done, she's going to smack them on the head with a chamberpot, or something, and they can't do anything or she'll say, 'For shame, Bertie, would you hit a girl?'

heh.

glad it wasn't just me thinking that. C'mon. Let's go crash dad's pub. He won't mind ... we can hang out in the back and uh, you know ... count the pickles or something. :D

Maryn
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
I couldn't help noticing in that last picture that both the men are smoking.

I miss the 1840s and having no clue what might be bad for us, so we did what we wanted.

Maryn, still craving smokes many years later

Jaycinth
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
I miss the porcelain dolls that came with the latest fashions and WERE NOT for children to play with.

I miss the way the odors from the pig rendering plant across the river would drift up the hill in the summer and would quite stifle out the smells from Mr. Cotton's Sheep Dipping over in the 'Bottoms'.

I miss being able to furnish an entire 6 bedroom home for less than $100.00 including 2 cast iron stoves.

I miss not having to worry about how to accessorize my pets because nice people do not dress up their animals like people.

I miss seeing little 9 yr old boys running about dressed like ridiculous goofs in wool suits and knickers in the middle of summer.

Dear lord...I MISS SOAP MAKING!!!!!!!!

BenPanced
08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
When candle dippin' meant...dipping cords into melted wax to make candles.

When pullin' taffy meant...stretching a heated concoction of sugar, corn starch, and flavoring into candy.

Rich
08-31-2007, 08:16 PM
I miss my fifth birthday.

Salem
08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Life before reality TV

BenPanced
08-31-2007, 08:32 PM
When "sir", "ma'am", "please", and "thank you" meant something, dammit!