Addiction. What made you seek help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Or quit?

In LC, the Fairy King has an addiction to fairy dust. (Think of it as crack that grants magical powers.) When MC Rosemary finally gets to Fairyland, she confronts the king, but he doesn't respond until she physically touches him, and offers him a handkerchief after his coughing fit.

I re-read this, and went a little cock-eyed. I really, really need his addiction to be believable, and I'm worried that this 'recovery' is a little too staged and corny.

Anyway...I was wondering what incident pushed you to seek help, go to rehab, or made you realize that you had a problem. It would help me out a lot, thanks. :)

EDIT: Actually, she grabs him by the back of the neck and stuffs the handkerchief in his face. I think there's a difference.

Last edited:

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One way that might make it more believable would be to get the King to admit he is addicted to fairy dust. No true addict will recover until they admit to themselves that they have a problem. Sometimes it is a simply act of kindness that makes the addict admit they have a problem. If the dust is like crack he will have visible signs of detoxification, cold sweats, shaking , etc as his body adjusts to not having the drug. Hope this helps.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
AA teaches that most addicts have to hit rock bottom before they decide to turn their lives around. So, it would be more likely that the Fairy King would change after a negative emotional experience, rather than a positive one. This can vary a lot... from realizing the negative impact that the addiction is having on your family or work life, to realizing that all of your time and effort is devoted to finding and using fairydust. And that no amount of fairydust will ever be enough.

Extreme Examples: Getting fired, having a spouse file for divorce, hitting a child when you're drunk, not being able to pay the rent or buy food because you spent the money on "fairy dust" etc.etc.

(There's a tremendous amount of literature regarding the symptoms and treatment of alcoholism, if you want to delve into the topic.)

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.