What do you miss from the 80s?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help myself...

My virginity!!

Just kidding.
I miss Wham and Duran Duran(yeah I know the boys are still around, but it's not the same).
My roller skates.
Boob tubes.

*scratches head* I know there's more.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
~So many new styles in clothing

~When punk rock was truly punk

~When Atari first came out

~Rubik's Cube

~Movies--Valley Girl, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Outsiders, E.T., Poltergeist

~MTV Before it sucked

~NO REALITY TV!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The music. Oh yeah, such variety! I loved Duran Duran (of course), Depeche Mode, Journey, Styx, Night Ranger, Scritti Politti, all the hair bands, etc.

The music videos, back before anyone knew what the heck they were doing. There was something so fun about their lack of self-consciousness even though the videos were often unpolished.

The clothes and the makeup! I especially loved the bright colors + black combo, plus the fuchsia lipstick (remember mood lipstick?) and matching nail polish. I could have done without the Madonna wannabe clothes, though.

I hated the big hair because I could never get my hair to stand up that high, even with Aqua Net.

Video game arcades with games that had less than three buttons and one joystick. Anyone remember Tempest? That was my favorite game.

The Preppy Handbook. Still, there were way too many people wearing polo shirts with their collars turned up.

Friendship bracelets.

John Hughes movies. Andrew McCarthy *sigh*.

Last edited:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I forgot these.

Commodore 64, Mattel Intellivision.

BBS (Bulletin Board System) parties. Before the www, boards (forums) were privately operated and you dialed each one directly (no pictures, just text), which made most of your online friends local (a few dialed long distance). Get-togethers were easy. Parties were monthly. Members had faces.

And there were BOARD WARS! Board owners tended to bash each other. Sometimes there were fights and sabotage.

Did anyone here ever BBS? Remember the phrase; Two thirds of BBS is BS. :) It still holds true.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Definitely the music. I think the sixties and eighties were the best. MTV. My first Apple II (that started my love affairs with computers). Indiana Jones. Back to the Future. Perms (not!). Really tight Levis. Brooke Shield in the Blue Lagoon. Nataja Kinski in just about anything (or nothing).

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've been waiting and waiting for someone to start this thread. I thought it'd be weird to do it myself.

How about...PARACHUTE PANTS!

Family Ties, Growing Pains and all those great sitcoms. There are no shows like that anymore.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, my Gloria Vanderbilts...those were great ass pants.

I miss skipping school to go hang at the lake with my boyfriend. And OMG, the teen parties! Everyone would gather in an empty cul-de-sac, with a bonfire and beer bought by someone's older brother...good times.

I miss my 16-year-old body the most.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Police (music)

I loved college. Loved it. Miss those times the most.

Oh, and optimism. The idea that I could do anything, be anything, go anywhere.

And damn, I was a good pool player.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not Calvin Kleins, Jordaches, or Gloria Vanderbilts? :)

Real teenager boys wear Levis! We didn't have CK, and Jodaches looked too girlish.

As for late 80s... definitely college. The best time of my life.

I can't say I miss my first car though -- it was a POS. But it was cheap, and lasted for four years.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see. In the early 80s I was a single chick having a lot of fun. Well, sometimes having fun. Free and independent, at least. I mostly miss being able to make my own decisions. And my car. The only car I've ever owned that was totally mine.

From 86 to 90 I was changing diapers, juggling babies, and stuck in the house all the time. But they were cute little kiddos so I miss their smiles and laughs and their innocent way of looking at the world.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
-The thought that hoverboards were just around the corner (damn Back to the Future!)

I'm with you on this one. The media has been promising us hover cars for quite awhile now. Yet I have seen no movement toward hovercraft. None. I don't want to have to give up the dream of hovercars in my lifetime.

Oh, and I miss Hungry Hippo and the Sit-n-Spin. Eighties toys were the best.

Peg-rolling my jeans. Lace-trimmed tights (which I believe are back now). My gravity-defying adolescent bangs.