I just discovered a new form of entertainment.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
It's cool. Never seen one work before. I can just sit for hours and giggle when those dumb flies get zapped. Cool, huh.

271759_front200.jpg

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
thou shall be punished for thy cruelty by being turned into a fly -- *waves magic wand* abracadabra--is fio volo!!

oops, giganticus volo!! erm...i better run.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Down south we have to have them on account for the mosquito's. Anyone who lives down south ought to know what i'm talking about :)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I like when the big flies land on it and they fry for a little bit, turn black and crispy and finally drop. Moths too. Mosquitoes usually only provide little zaps.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
So you can relate :) I've seen some huge skeeters in my day, that's for sure :)

You know, I've lived in Florida most of my life, and I thought I knew mosquitoes. Then I spent 2 weeks in Switzerland, and those bastards are the size of cows! I swear! And they're vicious as hammerhead sharks. My friend woke up one morning and it looked like she had smashed her face into a wall, but it was just mosquito bites.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Do your mosquitoes carry the West Nile virus? Up here we seem to have a few dozen people get sick and a couple die every summer from it/them.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
when i was a kid-we used to take a baseball bat and smash millers (moths) against the wall-they bleed green.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Do your mosquitoes carry the West Nile virus? Up here we seem to have a few dozen people get sick and a couple die every summer from it/them.
ours do here in Cali.
they just sprayed last week to annihilate them. i wonder what else was killed.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
ours do here in Cali.
they just sprayed last week to annihilate them. i wonder what else was killed.

I remember as a kid the neighboring cities would always spray, every year around this time. Then, for a while, it wasn't the right thing to do...

...but now that people are dying because of the bugs, spraying is suddenly 'okay' again.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing beats the spectacle of black widows and a tarantula hunting for crickets. I guess you, Spookywriter, has a hobby that is as crazy as mine.

Tarantula hawk! Been prying my mind for this name for a week now. And just now it pops up in my mind.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This is not new. Rural US residents (colloquially known as rednecks) have used such a device for entertainment for years, even decades. Surely the inventor of the Bug Zapper is in the Redneck Hall of Fame.

Niteowl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theniteowl.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if any of you saw the... Youtube video? Nova special? Anyhoo, it had a segment showing slow motion what happens to the bugs when they get zapped. Their innards (and whatever pathogens ) PLUME outwards in a shockingly long funnel. Stand too close to one of those is a great way to inhale tons of aerosoled bugguts. Ew.