Agent etiquette question on queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a batch of queries a month ago. Since then I've reworked my query and it's much stronger. My question is this: is it acceptable for me to send out a query to a different agent at the same agency? (got a form rejection from the first one)

I've noticed some agencies will mention on their websites not to do that because they will share the query with their colleagues if they think it is appropriate. (That sounds like bs, but what do I know) Assuming they don't have a specific policy against it, do you think it is ok? Would it depend on the size of the agency?

I also have a related question: when, if ever, is it ok to re-query the same agent who already rejected you. Is that bridge forever burned or is there some passage of time or change in the project that would permit a re-query.

Lastly does one mention any of this when doing so. In other words do you say, "Hey I got rejected by your colleague and I could use another rejection for my pile so will you please consider me as well?" or just say nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
My view is this:
I would never query and agent that rejected the pitch in question before(no matter how much I change the pitch. I just don't see the sense in doing so, unless said agent said in the rejection that he/she would be open to me resubmitting. That's only happened (to me) in the case of a partial.

As for agent sharing queries; I believe it because I've had one tell me that while my query wasn't a right fit for her she was passing it on to so and so. And guess what? So and so contacted me.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
Agency websites will tell you whether it's acceptable to query another agent after the first has passed (Trident, Writers House, etc.), or whether a "no" from one agent is a "no" from all (Donald Maass, Jane Rotrosen, etc.).

In the case of querying multiple agents at an agency (but not at the same time!)--definitely don't mention that so-and-so already sent a rejection. That only focuses on the negative.

It's fine to re-query an agent who sent you a rejection--IF you're querying about a new project. Or possibly if a year has passed and you've reworked your manuscript and retitled it. Couldn't hurt. But I wouldn't re-query an agent on the same book three months later, hoping for a different answer.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Jordijoy,

I have to respectfully disagree. My agent didn't invite me to resubmit after he rejected me. However, he said some nice things about my work, so months later, I asked if he'd consider my second novel. He did. He signed me. I have a book deal. So every case is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.