Pub Deal Signed for my memoir

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
After much ado, I've decided to go the indie pub route with my nonfiction book, Why Grandpa Lay Down on the Railroad Tracks, which combines memoir and science reporting to deal with four generations of mental illness.

I've just signed with Behler Publications...for a small advance, but there is one, and most impt, editor Lyn Price has a lot of integrity and much enthusiasm for my book.

What I've found (once again), is that because my book does something a wee bit different, it appeared to challenge agents---a couple I consulted told me that because the book steps outside the standard one illness, one memoir rule, it would be "a harder sell." Gee...sometimes life, and writing about life, is just not that simple.

Here's to indie publishers who manage to think with a bit more complexity!

Details on my blog www.victoriacostello.blogspot.com

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard great things about Behler. Sounds like a small, but good publisher. Congratulations! Go out there and celebrate!

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Way to Go

Over around or through way to go! Congrats!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Hi Victoria,

Congratulations! Sounds like a good decision. As someone who has faced the uphill climb of trying to get an atypical memoir published---I can identify!

Looking forward to reading your book!

All the best,

Susan

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.gif

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. BTW, your memoir sounds like it is in much the same vein as mine, which is set to debut in Fall 2008.