PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss from the 70's?

Pages : [1] 2

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I was on the 'do you care about your hair' thread, and posted that I missed clogs. I had a great pair in the 70's, when it was cool to wear them.

It got me thinking: what else do people miss about the 70's?

I miss

- Donna Summer
- Abba (though I DO have them on the mp3 player!)
- Roller disco (well, not really, but it was kinda cool)
- Starsky and Hutch
- Emergency!
- Hawaii Five-O

What do you miss?

Mandy-Jane
08-21-2007, 05:10 PM
I have to agree with Abba, and also with Emergency. For some reason, I loved that show! I also miss Elton John (even though he's still full-on today, I think his 70's stuff was so much better than anything from the last 20 years!).

I also miss the fact that in the 70's I was still a child and life was so much easier then!

Meerkat
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Steely Dan.
National Lampoon.
driving from Tucson to Phoenix on five dollars of gas...and not seeing any other towns.
real conversations, face to face.
the notion that everyone was in the same boat.
the notion that anything could happen.
dancing as if you were insane.
seeing Boz Skaggs for eight dollars....then accidently stepping on his foot at the local watering hole after the concert.
the dawn of automation.
James Clavell books.
Pontiac products--when they were well made.
Alice Cooper.
Chicago.

auntybug
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Andy Gibb:cry:

dahmnait
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM

What do you miss?
My youth.

johnnysannie
08-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Bell bottom jeans

70's soft rock (Lobo, Jim Croce, etc)

early Stephen King before he was a major phenomen

Long straight hair

Chambray shirts for guys

Youth (I graduated from high school in 1979 at age 17)

Drive-in movies

Local hamburger joints, not chains

Mom and pop grocery stores

Cruising (not frowned upon if not outlawed in most places)

III
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Cub scouts and my little brother.
Tube socks with red and blue stripes on top.
Styx on the AM radio.
Innocence.

Tracy
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Absolutely nothing, especially now that Abba have been rehabilitated and it's okay to listen to them again.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
The family routine of Saturday afternoon Bugs Bunny, and Sunday evening World of Disney, the old swimming hole that you just jumped into without worry, Doctor in the House, sock hops (with Tony Orlando and Dawn, Bay City Rollers, KC and the Sunshine Band, Mungo Jerry). Also, there was a band in Canada in the late 70's called Showdown -- I miss their Rodeo Song (sooooooooo funny). We also had bell bottoms that had canadian flags sewn into the cuffs, and I think that was the start of wearing sweat suits as well -- the ones with the really tight cuffs and the matching zippered jacket.

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Pontiac products--when they were well made.

OMG, yes! My mom had a yellow Pontiac Catalina... that thing was a MONSTER. Good, American made car made of steel. It was a total tank.

My dad had a maroon Ford Fairlaine with no AC. Muscle car. It was awesome. He sold it for a more 'responsible' car. I miss that thing.

Yes on Drive-Ins. I also miss that you could see a movie for $1 on Monday nights around here.

YES ON ANDY GIBB!!! In fact, I'd say I totally miss the Bee Gees.

Oh, and the Hardy Boys! I so miss them. And the Partridge family.

TV's you had to physically get out of the chair to change the channel! Remotes have contributed to obesity, I'm almost certain. :)

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Remember when a Swanson's TV dinner was a treat!!!! And popcorn was made in a pot, and Happy Days?
We had a big old Biscayne -- tons of windows, only two that rolled down all the way, armstrong steering -- man it got hot in those damn cars!!!!

tjwriter
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Um...the feeling of being an immature egg in my mother's ovary?

:Shrug:

I wasn't even thought about until 1981 and wasn't born until 1982.

scarletpeaches
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
The Banana Splits, Jamie & His Magic Torch, Mr Snuggles, Bagpuss...they don't make 'em like they used to.

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Man I can't believe you all left out stuff like:

Mr Roger's Neighborhood
Bozo
Captain Kangaroo
Romper Room
American Bandstand

dahmnait
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
TV's you had to physically get out of the chair to change the channel! Remotes have contributed to obesity, I'm almost certain. :)LOL...I still have one. I have had 2 other TVs that have broken, but that one, with its two dials, still works great. Damn, I am going to say it...They knew how to make things to last back then.

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Okay, now I wanna go buy some disco CD's and rip them to my mp3 player. Donna, the BeeGees, and oh yes...KC and the Sunshine Band.

I was gonna say something about party lines. We didn't have one, but I know about them. LOL

And there was the fact you could go out and play all day in the summer and nobody worried about it. No 'playdates' or supervised play. Just 'be back before dark'.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Man I can't believe you all left out stuff like:

Mr Roger's Neighborhood
Bozo
Captain Kangaroo
Romper Room
American Bandstand

Romper Room!!! I still have my letter from Miss Betty!!!! She saw me in her mirror one day. We also used to have The Friendly Giant -- 'a chair where two more can curl up in'. I also remember watching the news coverage from Vietnam every night on the news.

Does anyone else remember being afraid to get in trouble at school because it would be twice as bad when you got home, being the school guard in Grade 5, and knowing that every other mother in the neighborhood had the same amount of authority as your own when you did something wrong? They would get those damn party lines ringing -- ours was a long and two shorts!:)

Ziljon
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
What do youy miss about the 70's?

Everything.

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay, now I wanna go buy some disco CD's and rip them to my mp3 player. Donna, the BeeGees, and oh yes...KC and the Sunshine Band.

I was gonna say something about party lines. We didn't have one, but I know about them. LOL

Okay there's at least one other thing I don't miss about the 70's

Death Before Disco!

dahmnait
08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
"Here's a story
of a lovely lady"

hehe...if I have to have it stuck in my head, so do you. :tongue

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
8-track tapes
BSR Turntables
Console Stereos
Disneyland Records -- I still have a few of those.
Cars with massive V-8 engines (early '70s)

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale.....

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Going to a drive-in movie. My mom would make up two or three batches of popcorn and dump them into a paper grocery bag (kids! Ask your parents!) and fill the Coleman jug with Wyler's lemonade. Three movies, including an intermission with the "GO TO THE SNACK BAR NOW! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!" reels. Saw my first James Bond (Live And Let Die) at the drive-in.

Anybody else remember the chain of command there used to be regarding movies? They'd debut at indoor theatres, play out, play a couple weeks at the drive-in, and finally show up on TV about six months later.

III
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Romper Room!!! I still have my letter from Miss Betty!!!! She saw me in her mirror one day.

Miss Betty never saw me. My self esteem has never recovered.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM

And there was the fact you could go out and play all day in the summer and nobody worried about it. No 'playdates' or supervised play. Just 'be back before dark'.

I had to explain about Scrub to my nieces. And disco balls -- we were setting up the hall for my parents 50th anniversary and there was a mirror ball in the middle of the ceiling. The kids turned it on, stared at it for a moment, and finally one asked "Is that all it does? Doesn't it go faster?"

Southern_girl29
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I was born in 1977, so I don't remember a whole lot, but I do remember laying on the couch with my head on my mom's hip watching Carol Burnett. I just remember feeling safe and loved, and every time, she would laugh, I would laugh, too, just because I was glad she was happy.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Remember when a Swanson's TV dinner was a treat!!!! And popcorn was made in a pot, and Happy Days?
We had a big old Biscayne -- tons of windows, only two that rolled down all the way, armstrong steering -- man it got hot in those damn cars!!!!

My Emphasis.

I loved those old TV dinners. They were served in an aluminum foil plate and were obviously not microwave safe ... but then, who all could afford a microwave in the 1970's?

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
When coke and pepsi came in 8 packs of returnable glass bottles

Big Red out of the machine with the door, and built in bottle opener.

Spin the Bottle.

Candy cigarettes

Rotary phones (And yes Christine we had a party line)

maestrowork
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
I was too young to remember, but there were a few indiscretions... and yes, our first color TV set made in Germany! Finally, Star Trek and Speed Racer in color.

joyce
08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
What do I miss.......................my 1970's body!

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
The microwaves of the 70's could kill you (or at least make you sterile) LOL

Oh, the rotary phone. What a PITA.

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM

lol we didn't own a microwave until I was 13. Which would have been around the time tjwriter was born or thereabouts.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 06:30 PM

And they were pretty darned crude. My parents bought a microwave back about 1982, and its settings consisted of a dial with a bell for a timer, and a toggle switch for temperature settings. The settings were 'Low' and 'High' and that was it.

I'm not sure, but I think there might also have been an analog clock on it.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Microwaves? We were just getting our first dishwasher at the end of the decade -- the one that loaded from the top and had to be pushed through the room and hooked up to the tap. I actually sort of miss doing the dishes -- we had a big family and everyone was in the kitchen for cleanup, sort of an extra bit of family time to laugh and talk. And we still had clothes on the line for part of the seventies. Can you imagine what OUR kids would do with rotary phones and party lines? Talk about culture shock!!! Mind you, it was impossible to keep a secret back then, because everyone rubber-necked on the phones!

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 06:35 PM
The only portable telephone was the one in Maxwell Smart's shoe! Oh, and what would you give for a 'cone of silence' in your house!!

A.M. Wildman
08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
The only portable telephone was the one in Maxwell Smart's shoe! Oh, and what would you give for a 'cone of silence' in your house!!

"Missed it by that much."

Yes, I can do the voice.

ALong with impressions of Nick Nolte and AL Pacino.

And

rooby Roooooo!

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Okay, guys. Prepared to be awed and amazed.

We were literally the first house on the block with cable TV.

1972. We got channels 2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 32, and 44 from Chicago (44 is now defunct, but this is where I began my education in all things Godzilla, and 32 showed Speed Racer) and the three local affiliates. Channel 3 was amazing; it was a 24-hour black and white broadcast of a camera panning back and forth over a clock, thermometer, and barometer. Early beginnings of the Weather Channel?

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I do miss Get Smart.

I hope they do it justice in the movie. Anne Hathaway as 99.

Vandal
08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
The Six Million Dollar Man

The Bionic Woman

Charlie's Angels

Wings on 8-Track

Casey Kasem's American Top 40

Cars with stick shifts

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

Shorts that were, uh, short

Perms

Sideburns

Bubastes
08-21-2007, 06:43 PM
People have posted some of my faves (Abba, roller disco, Swanson TV dinners). I also miss Carnation Breakfast Bars and Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo.

I used to have little lights that attached to the underside of my roller skates. I thought I was SO cool.

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
The Midnight Special is being released piecemeal on DVD.

Oh, one more one more thing: Pillsbury Space Food Sticks.

Salem
08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Real music. Great music. Before MTV music when you needed talent, not a playboy body.

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Video killed the radio star, man. Killed it dead. :)

III
08-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Candy cigarettes

Yes! You could blow into them and sugar smoke would come out the end. My parents HATED those things because they thought they would lead to us smoking in real life. Of course my brother and I both became smokers as teenagers. Wait a minute!?!?

Ahhhh the Saturday morning routine:

- Cartoons / Kids shows (the ones which only came on Saturday like Scooby Doo, Fat Albert, Land of the Lost)
- WWF
- Kung Fu movies!
- Playing kickball in the street till well after sunset

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Ahhhh the Saturday morning routine:

- Cartoons / Kids shows (the ones which only came on Saturday like Scooby Doo, Fat Albert, Land of the Lost)
- WWF
- Kung Fu movies!
- Playing kickball in the street till well after sunset
Lucky abstrad. Ours was cartoons, American Bandstand, TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE! Pick up the living room, clear stuff off the stairs that didn't belong, bathroom, bedrooms...*shudder*. <sarcasm> And if I was lucky, I'd get to go for a haircut. </sarcasm>

III
08-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Lucky abstrad. Ours was cartoons, American Bandstand, TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE! Pick up the living room, clear stuff off the stairs that didn't belong, bathroom, bedrooms...*shudder*. <sarcasm> And if I was lucky, I'd get to go for a haircut. </sarcasm>

You let your mom get away with believing she wasn't your personal maid that God put on Earth for the sole purpose of cleaning up after you?

Salem
08-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Reading everyone's posts has given me a bad case of nostalgia. I realize I miss everything from the 70's! Now I feel sad. *mourns 70's*

Things I remember fondly:

When a blockbuster movie like Star Wars came out you would go see it at the theatre 10 times. No one ever said "I just saw it once--I'll watch it again in a couple of months when it's out on DVD." Too much of a good thing can sometimes take away from the goodness of it. (Sex is excluded from this statement.)

When "ON TV" and "Select TV" first came out.

When the Brady Bunch was a prime time show.

Designer jeans didn't cost half of your mom's paycheck so you could actually have the coolest clothes available without going broke.

Music really kicked ass. Even the soft rock.

When people said "Hey have you heard that crazy new music called 'disco'?"

Saturday nights at the roller skating rink.

Saturday morning cartoons, when there weren't 10 channels devoted to cartoons 24 hours a day. (Again--"too much of a good thing rule" applies here.)

III
08-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I forgot the Primo #1 thing from Saturday mornings: SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK!

And now for your flashback enjoyment, the opening segments to:

Dr. Shrinker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RHoIUwqLo)

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBiKyf_AbGY&mode=related&search=)

Bigfoot and Wildboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMj6EAJb60&mode=related&search=)

Land of the Lost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LZzVCpYDY)

WonderBug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRKa6uwqW0)

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUSOLB3-NA)

Now you guys post links like these. I'm getting lunch.

Salem
08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
III, you just brought a tear to my eye by mentioning those shows! I'm now thoroughly depressed...

Siddow
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
What? Nobody's mentioned Donny and Marie? Sonny and Cher?

The Muppet Show!!!! (I just bought the first season on DVD. The kids love it.)

III
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
III, you just brought a tear to my eye by mentioning those shows! I'm now thoroughly depressed...

Buck up little camper. <gently wipes away tear>

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Season 2 just came out -- Miss Piggy's on the cover!!!

What about BIG HAIR, shags (thank you Mrs. Brady) and Page Boy cuts?
'DY-NO-MITE', 'Sit on it, Potsy' and 'Na-nu na-nu'?
Banana seats on bikes?
More people in the car than there were seatbelts for?

But I think what I miss the most are fireflies and meadowlarks. They haven't been around for years now. There is nothing like the song of a meadowlark in the morning!!! ** sigh** -- I think I'll dig out some K-Tel (including Looney Tunes and Goofy Greats) records to put on and go clean toilets.

Del
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Hitch hiking. Small towns. Paul Simon. Midriffs and hip hugger bells. Cruising. Mom and Pop restaurants. Squeaky wooden floors in department stores. Late movies. Mystery of the future; how we thought it would be, not how it is. 25 cent gas. Main street. Head shops. Black lights and florescent posters. Staying out all night.

Hanging with the gang.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 08:26 PM
OMG -- we forgot shag carpets and lava lamps!!!!! (oops -- sorry, supposed to be things that we miss!!) I can remember having to 'rake' the carpet. Our first house after we got married had orange shag in one room and royal purple in the master bedroom!!! GAG!

maestrowork
Six Million Dollar Man. I watched that with my parents every Saturday night.

Salem
Riding in the back of a truck on the freeway, wind blowing in your hair. Even the police car driving by doesn't care, they smile and wave. (I know this was dangerous so no lectures please!)

Salem
08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
OMG -- we forgot shag carpets and lava lamps!!!!! (oops -- sorry, supposed to be things that we miss!!) I can remember having to 'rake' the carpet. Our first house after we got married had orange shag in one room and royal purple in the master bedroom!!! GAG!

LOL! I had green shag carpet in my bedroom! I even had a carpet rake to fluff it up all pretty! My grandparents had royal purple shag carpet!

benbradley
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Real music. Great music. Before MTV music when you needed talent, not a playboy body.
The Eagles.

jennifer75
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh Kay who can help me out with the title of a popular childrens show...it would have been about 1978 or 1979, into the early 80's...it was not a cartoon. It was kind of like the teletubbies in the sense that they wore costumes and were on a stage that was the front of a 2 story house, with a gazebo and lawn, and they just danced around. The only costumed character I can remember was I believe a girl hippo in a tu tu and maybe an owl....

Can anybody help???

You know...I just typed all of this and the title just came to me!!!

The New Zoo Review!!!

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Six Million Dollar Man. I watched that with my parents every Saturday night.

Gunsmoke, All In The Family, and Adam 12; my parents used to watch all those shows back in those days.

The only one I never got to watch was All In The Family. It was considered 'too adult' for me.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
LOL! I had green shag carpet in my bedroom! I even had a carpet rake to fluff it up all pretty! My grandparents had royal purple shag carpet!

The first time I cleaned that damned purple carpet, the whole room reflected purple from the white ceiling!!! And when the cat barfed in it --- ewwwww!!
Dark wood panelling on the walls and metal/formica tables in the kitchen (always pink or blue!)
And then there were the eyeglasses -- the blue, square wire ones, and, my personal favorite, the sort of toroise-shell plastic frames with the giant lenses and the arms attached at the bottom!!! (I still have some of those as well -- actually, they were sort of comfortable!)

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Snipped...

When "ON TV" and "Select TV" first came out.

...Snipped.

ON TV! My parents had that in the early 80's. I remember when ON TV announced the sad news that,

"ON TV is going off TV".

Back then cable was a real treat. I believe we got a whole one channel of movies back then.

Of course, I couldn't watch most of the movies, because the announcer would tell people to get their children to leave the room when a film was rated 'R'. That was the only thing I did not like about ON TV.

Until your post, I had all but forgotten about that cable service. Cool memories!

:)

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
The only one I never got to watch was All In The Family. It was considered 'too adult' for me.

As were Maude and Soap in our house! We snuck out and watched them at the neighbors, though!

Sean D. Schaffer
08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
As were Maude and Soap in our house! We snuck out and watched them at the neighbors, though!

Ironically, my parents did let me watch Maude, which, if I remember correctly, was a spin-off of All In The Family. They also let me watch The Jeffersons, for some reason.

BTW, to add to your post about eyeglasses, my Grandma Dooley used to wear those old butterfly-framed glasses in the '70s. I thought they were pretty on her, but from what I can remember, she was one of the few exceptions to the rule about that particular kind of frame.

reigningcatsndogs
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Robert Redford, Burt Reynolds, Glenda Jackson, Jack Nicholas

Love Story, Fiddler on the Roof, The China Syndrom, One Flew Over the Cookoos nest, Oh! God, Grease

CHiPS, Hee Haw, Marcus Welby, Flip Wilson, Ironside, Waltons (and don't lie -- you know you watched it!!), The Rookies, SWAT (they were so damned cute), Kojak, Mary Tyler Moore, Eight is Enough and Sanford and Son (I can't for the life of me remember what the hell it was he said all the time about 'The Big One')

MidnightMuse
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
My straight hair. I was well on my way to looking like Julie from the Mod Squad. Then I hit my teenage years and my damn hair curled.

Completely.

Roger J Carlson
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Miss from the 70's? Being newly married. We're as happy now as we were then, but there's something special about your first couple of years.

III
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Fantasy Island, Dukes of Hazzard, Happy Days, Carol Burnette.
Star Wars (original) trading cards (blue, red, yellow, green, and orange).
The backwards-facing seat in the station wagon.
Family road trips without seatbelts.

thethinker42
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I missed the 70's altogether...does that count? :D

dclary
08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
George Lucas.

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
AM radio had more than one station that actually played music.

maestrowork
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
The "newbie" trio: Francis Ford Copola, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucas. They made great movies back then.

mum23
08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
HR puff 'n' stuff
The banana splits
The Sweet
Kissing my David Cassidy poster which leads me onto The partridge Family.
Buying 4 fruit salads and 4 black jacks for a penny.
Oh and Sesame Street was on prime time TV on a saturday morning.
Music you could sing to.

sassandgroove
08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I was born in '76, so I miss being sweet and innocent. Now I am just sweet.

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm loving this thread, you guys are reminding me of all the great stuff I miss that I'd forgotten!

I loved Soap! And my dad had a lava lamp, that thing was awesome!

The New Zoo Review (coming right at you!) and The Banana Splits (filmed at a Six Flags park)

I also LOVED Sonny and Cher, and I watched reruns of that 60's variety show...what the heck was the name....you know "sock it to me!".

I also miss the Carol Burnett show.

Okay, okay, remember...ATARI! My best friend was the first one I knew with an Atari. Black and white, and we played Space Invaders all day. LOL

III
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah, definitely ATARI! And smiley faces on everything. The emoticons are okay, but they don't light up your day like a smiley face lamp :). And did anyone mention The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights?

Bubastes
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Those cheesy ABC After School Specials.

maestrowork
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Mini skirts. My 1st grade English teacher used to wear those...

threedogpeople
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Having the body to stop traffic when wearing a halter top and short-short "cut offs". In a way I miss my waist long, board straight hair (I don't miss how long it took to wash and dry because this was pre- blow dryers).

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes! Rowan and Martin's Laugh In!

Thanks to whoever sent me the rep point and told me. I loved that show. Arnie Johnson..."Verddy Interesting."

I wish I could find that on DVD. Greatest variety show ever.

sassandgroove
08-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Sesame Street?

Bubastes
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Sesame Street?

Oh yes. I loved Sesame Street and Electric Company ("Heeyyyyyyyy youuuuu guuuuuuys!!").

Does anyone remember the shows Vision On (BBC) and Zoom (WGBH)?

MidnightMuse
08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes! Rowan and Martin's Laugh In!

Thanks to whoever sent me the rep point and told me. I loved that show. Arnie Johnson..."Verddy Interesting."

I wish I could find that on DVD. Greatest variety show ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Rowan-Martins-Laugh/dp/B00008PHCV/ref=sr_1_1/105-2065181-7092422?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1187721835&sr=8-1

Best Of volumes 1 & 2 available on DVD since 2003.

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Sweet! I'll have to put them on my Christmas list :) I should have said 'wonder if they're on DVD'? I knew someone would find them if they were. LOL

Thanks!

III
08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh yes. I loved Sesame Street and Electric Company ("Heeyyyyyyyy youuuuu guuuuuuys!!").

Does anyone remember the shows Vision On (BBC) and Zoom (WGBH)?

We're gonna zoom zoom zomma zoom. We're gonna zooma zooma zooma zoom.

Unique
08-21-2007, 10:56 PM
dates
doobies
hitchhiking
mushrooms
friends
keggers
music

parties

Oh, hell ... I forgot 4 barrel carburetors ( and the gas to go with 'em)

SHBueche
08-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Hold on a minute ... are you telling me the 70's are gone? Have to throw out all my tie dye t-shirts then! It's funny whenever I wear one shirt I have, invariably I will be stopped by an old hippie (excuse me, middle aged person) who says something along the lines of "Great shirt."

Unique
08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't throw them out! They became antiques 15 years ago!

III
08-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Just rhinestone them up with your rhinestone gun and they'll be totally hip.

thethinker42
08-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Electric Company ("Heeyyyyyyyy youuuuu guuuuuuys!!").

Wait, wasn't that from The Goonies? Or am I completely clueless? Oh well, either way...that's how my friends and I greet each other...online, on the phone, and of course...in public. LOUDLY. :D

Christine N.
08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Just rhinestone them up with your rhinestone gun and they'll be totally hip.

Oh, you mean...the Bedazzler?? The number one Christmas boutique gift item of 1976??? (I dunno if it really was, it just sounds like it) We'll throw in a pocket fisherman at no extra charge!

Yes, a denim jacket with rhinestones is SO 70's. Even better if it's a big rhinestone peace sign.

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Wait, wasn't that from The Goonies? Or am I completely clueless? Oh well, either way...that's how my friends and I greet each other...online, on the phone, and of course...in public. LOUDLY. :D
Nope. HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSS!!! was Rita Moreno's line from The Electric Company. She used it once in a skit and it became so popular, it turned into the show's catchphrase.

III
08-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Sloth was quoting The Electric Company. Sloth was raised in the 70's too.

III
08-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Nope. HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSS!!! was Rita Moreno's line from The Electric Company. She used it once in a skit and it became so popular, it turned into the show's catchphrase.

I sat right behind Rita Moreno on a flight just a few years ago and helped her put her bag in the overhead compartment. She's still one of the most lovely women around.

writerterri
08-21-2007, 11:56 PM
I miss the contact high.

BenPanced
08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I sat right behind Rita Moreno on a flight just a few years ago and helped her put her bag in the overhead compartment. She's still one of the most lovely women around.
I read on IMDb's Electric Company forum that somebody met her and was rather apologetic that all they knew her from was EC. She was ecstatic to hear it because she's still proud of the show.

Oh. And Pop Rocks. And Fizzies. And Razzles. And those aren't "street" names for anything.

MidnightMuse
08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
The Mod Squad, 1968 - 1973.

Azraelsbane
08-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Life?

sassandgroove
08-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Morgan Freeman was on Electric COmpany.

Just sayin'.

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Man, the neg reps I got for the Brady Bunch post. ;)

Saturday Night Live.

sassandgroove
08-22-2007, 12:14 AM
I saw a movie once. I don't know what it was called. It could be from the 80's but very early if it wasn't the 70's. It had Sam Waterston (From Law &Order and TD Ameritrade commercials) as the troll that lived under the bridge. Everyone thought he ate kids, but really he loved them and kept them in a magic place under the bridge where theywouldn't age. The kid in the movie points out that he is robbing them of experiencing life to the fullest. Anyway, William H. Macey was the turtle and Susan Anton was the mermaid whose hair was the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Point: (Yes I have one.) I used to work at a Deli in Los Angeles, and Susan Anton came in one time. I told her how much I had liked that movie and she was so puzzled, she didn't know what I meant. I thought to myself, "I know it was her." So after she ate, and she came up to pay, she thanked me becuase she had forgotton about that movie until I reminded her. :D She was very nice.

writerterri
08-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Was I the only one who lived around a bunch potheads?

I loved the Brady Bunch!

And the Electric Company was weird and on one of the underground channels. Remember you had to turn the dial to U and flip around the fuzz to get to it? There was something strange about those fuzzy channels. Especially when you had a contact high. Spooky.

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow. Susan Anton's another name where you think "whadeverinnahell happened to her?"

Unique
08-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Of course not.

Back up a few....

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 12:29 AM
And the Electric Company was weird and on one of the underground channels. Remember you had to turn the dial to U and flip around the fuzz to get to it? There was something strange about those fuzzy channels. Especially when you had a contact high. Spooky.
Huh? The Electric Company was on PBS.

Bubastes
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM

That is just so cool.

Okay, let's combine that with The Muppet Show (another fave I miss): my favorite Muppet Show skit is when Rita Moreno tried to sing "Fever" with Animal cutting loose on the drums.

"Dat's my kind of woman!"

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
When the DVDs came out for School House Rock, I had to run out and get them. Anyone else? All for the kids of course. ;)

Actually, my son knows all about bills, the ones that sit on Capitol Hill, from those videos.

Unique
08-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Click here and play the streaming audio. (http://tinyurl.com/24nzsb)
New internet radio.
Totally boss.

Freak 'em out. I told them I sent that link around the world. Prove it to them.
I want them -
to call me for the interview.

Heh. With ya'lls help - it's a shoe in. :)

writerterri
08-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Huh? The Electric Company was on PBS.

PBS was on the U channel in my days. The tv had it's own seperate dial to find it.

Okay, at least in the ghetto! At least we had a tv--covered in wire hangers and foil! And we were greatful! That old black and white piece of crap! Screw Big Bird!

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Click here and play the streaming audio. (http://tinyurl.com/24nzsb)
New internet radio.
Totally boss.

Freak 'em out. I told them I sent that link around the world. Prove it to them.
I want them -
to call me for the interview.

Heh. With ya'lls help - it's a shoe in. :)Ah man, my sound just went out. But I guess they won't know I can't hear it. :)

Now to figure out why.

writerterri
08-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Of course not.

Back up a few....

A few is three, so that would be sassypants.

Now if you'd said a couple I would have thought you were talking about me.

Them's boxin' words.

Unique
08-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Bummer....

....oh, won't you stay..... just a little bit longer?
if the motor don't bind, and the roadies don't mind if you'll take a little time, singing one more song......

I was talking to you, dork. Cchecksix secretmessages.....

writerterri
08-22-2007, 12:42 AM
*movin' to the groovin'*

The New River is the bomb.

kristie911
08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
I don't remember the 70's...too young. Okay, I remember one television show...Land of the Lost. Geez, I loved that show except those alien things...they still creep me out! :)

cray
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't remember the 70's...too young. Okay, I remember one television show...Land of the Lost. Geez, I loved that show except those alien things...they still creep me out! :)

sleestacks

writerterri
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Bummer....

....oh, won't you stay..... just a little bit longer?
if the motor don't bind, and the roadies don't mind if you'll take a little time, singing one more song......

I was talking to you, dork. Cchecksix secretmessages.....

:e2fight:

:e2headban I like this song!

MidnightMuse
08-22-2007, 12:57 AM

'member Land of the Giants?

Unique
08-22-2007, 12:57 AM
You would....LoL!

Land of the Lost
Land of the Giants

Where did you people leave me? There's dinosaurs here.

III
08-22-2007, 01:04 AM
sleestacks

WHERE? WHERE? GET A RED CRYSTAL AND A BLUE CRYSTAL! Oh wait, that just makes a farting sound. Uhhhh GET A YELLOW CRYSTAL AND A GREEN CRYSTAL! Dang it! Which combination makes the light flash????

thethinker42
08-22-2007, 01:07 AM

See what happens when I miss an entire damn decade? Why was I not given a cultural update when I came onto the scene in 1980...c'mon folks, I need info!! The lowdown! The 411!

Unique
08-22-2007, 01:30 AM
WHERE? WHERE? GET A RED CRYSTAL AND A BLUE CRYSTAL! Oh wait, that just makes a farting sound. Uhhhh GET A YELLOW CRYSTAL AND A GREEN CRYSTAL! Dang it! Which combination makes the light flash????

Oh, great. What a time for old Alz' to kick in. Now what are we gonna do?

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 04:02 AM
See what happens when I miss an entire damn decade? Why was I not given a cultural update when I came onto the scene in 1980...c'mon folks, I need info!! The lowdown! The 411!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066651/

"The Electric Company gets its power from the Childrens Television Workshop."

Another brainchild from the creators of Sesame Street, this one didn't have the staying power, but racked up an amazing 700+ episodes. Notable for its approach to education and teaching basic reading and grammar skills, it also has some BIG names in the cast: Rita Moreno, Morgan Freeman, Bill Cosby (who used his experience on the show to get his education doctorate), Gene Wilder, Joan Rivers, Zero Mostel (these three contributed voices to the regular cartoon Letterman ["...faster than a rolling O, stronger than silent E, able to leap capital T in a single bound...it's a word! It's a plan! It's LETTERMAN!"]). It was also one of the first shows to incorporate early computer animation and...and..and...THEY'RE WORKING A NEW VERSION TO BE AIRED NEXT YEAR! (*faints*)

"But what about Naomi?"

Christine N.
08-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Everything old is new again!

I just found out one of my favorite books of all time, "From the Mixed-Up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler", which was actually written in 1967, but reissued in 1975, is being reprinted AGAIN next month.

Can't wait, gonna go pre-order from Amazon. I LOVE that book. Best book about being in a museum at night EVER.

This is the first thread I've ever started that's gone on for more than a page. Cool!

Danger Jane
08-22-2007, 04:19 AM
I miss Grace Slick still not being old

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 04:20 AM
The Muppet Show was awesome. And spaghetti westerns. Pow Pow Pow! Every boy wanted to be those cowboys (Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer's stuff was classic). Superman comic books. Communist propaganda films (you had to be there -- they were hilarious). The Beatles (yes, we were a few years behind America)... Disco (the Bee Gees!)... bellbottom pants. 70s Anime.

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Communist propaganda films (you had to be there -- they were hilarious). Duck and cover. :) Silly nuclear war drills in school. As if a desk is going to protect me if I am at ground zero.

Heh, just remembered the whole turtle idea. For those that didn't grow up during the cold war, the whole idea was when the sirens went off you would drop to the ground and tuck your legs and head under your body, with your head covered by your arms. Kind of like a turtle in its shell. This was supposed to protect you from a nuclear explosion. I think it was just so we didn't see death coming.

I need to see if I can find any of those old clips they would show us.

Backward Masking
08-22-2007, 04:32 AM
I'd say about all of it.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Snipped...

Interesting. In my area, The Electric Company was on Channel 10: PBS. (Although I think PBS might have had a different name back then.)

Christine N.
08-22-2007, 05:42 AM
We have two PBS channels - 12 and 23. One's from Philly, the other is from Delaware, I think. Or here in S.Jersey.

Anyway, I remember the two dial TV's. You had to put the one to U (for UHF) and then spin the bottom dial to find your channel. We had a black and white one...with rabbit ears.

Unique
08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Anyway, I remember the two dial TV's. You had to put the one to U (for UHF) and then spin the bottom dial to find your channel. We had a black and white one...with rabbit ears.

And I am SO glad they're gone. Every time I let go ---fzzzz----
No. I am NOT going to stand there and hold them. sheesh.

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
And I am SO glad they're gone. Every time I let go ---fzzzz----
No. I am NOT going to stand there and hold them. sheesh.LOL...who hasn't heard, "Don't move! That's perfect!"

TrainofThought
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Good cartoons ONLY on Saturday morning.
Dirt Bikes
Sea Monkeys
Pop Rocks
Grease
Zoom
Romper Room even though I waited to hear my name. NEVER!
Not having my period. :D

Fingers
08-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Until February 6, 1975 I had a left ring finger. I miss it.

yer pal Brian

September skies
08-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Skip Shaffer playing the drums - that boy could play!
Has played at Carnegie Hall
Has played drums alongside with Louie Bellson
The Ernie Hensley Band 1976-1979 (http://www.rewindplay.com/airmenofnote/heritage/1976.htm) (that's my Skip, bottom row, second from the left - youngest guy there - baby face!)
Airmen of Note
toured and has recorded with Lawrence Welk, the Glenn Miller Orchestra,
opened for Frank Sinatra
list too long to mention
Amazing drummer he still is!
Listen here. (http://cdbaby.com/cd/rickbogart) playing with Rick Bogart
Tracks 1, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 16 Skip Shaffer - Drums
James Moore - Piano
Rick Doll - Bass

Shadow_Ferret
08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
I miss everything. The 70s were the best years of my life. I miss high school. I miss that it was the height of sword and sorcery. I miss all the pulp reprints like The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, the Spider, etc. I miss the reprints of Conan and stuff by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I miss waiting for the next album by all my favorite bands. I miss Marvel Comics at their height and waiting for the next installment of Captain America by Jim Steranko or Conan by Barry Smith or heck, any Marvel comic. I miss sneaking beers and going roller skating. I miss shows like The Magician, Starsky and Hutch, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I miss underground comics and underground newspapers. I miss that everyone thought pot was cool and a nickle bag was like $5. I miss black light posters. I miss beer cans with removable poptops that you could link together and string around your room to show off how many beers you had.

Salem
08-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Does anyone else think Chaka from The Land of the Lost was way creepier than the Sleestacks? Ugh, I hated Chaka!

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I really wanted to find one of those videos, I found this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyuL1hdJ5U

Ok, I really don't miss pretending to be a turtle hiding under small pieces of wood in a futile attempt to cheat death, but I do think fondly of those days.

Writer2011
08-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Hmmm...what do I miss most about the 70's?

(1) ABBA--I do have them on my MP3 player
(2) Roller boogie
(3) 8-track tapes
(4) Disco
(5) Albums especially those K-Tel ones :)
(6) Hawaii Five-O
(7) Kojak

mum23
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
The double deckers.
Get on board, get on board, get on board with the double deckers.

White horses, the black and white foreing tv show on a saturday.

On white horses let me ride away
To my world of dreams so far away
Let me run
To the sun

To a world my heart can understand
It's a warm and gentle wonder land
Far away
Stars away

Where the clouds are made of candyfloss
As the day's born
When the stars are gone
We'll race to meet the dawn

So when I can only see the grey
Of a sad and very lonely day
That's when I
Softly sigh
On white horses
Snowy white horses
Let me ride away

mum23
08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Hmmm...what do I miss most about the 70's?

(1) ABBA--I do have them on my MP3 player
(2) Roller boogie
(3) 8-track tapes
(4) Disco
(5) Albums especially those K-Tel ones :)
(6) Hawaii Five-O
(7) Kojak

And the k-Tel album holder.

Inky
08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Andy Gibb
Leif Garrett
Sean Cassidy
Wax lips
Roller skating (outside)
Starbuck (the group)
TigerBeat Magazine ripped apart & taped all over my closet
45's
holding my recorder up to mombo speakers; praying no one would walk into my room while recording.
KHJ radio station with Rick Dees in the morning
Nike blue striped tennis shoes
my gymnastics toned body!!!

Jo
08-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Adding to what's already mentioned, some things I remember but don't necessarily miss:
Walk the dog, cat in the cradle, around the world... Coca Cola yoyo competitions.
Marbles
Quoits
Frisbees
Skipping long rope with friends crowded in the middle
Hopscotch
Four square
Kites (homemade)
Monkey gyms/jungle bars, witches hats, roundabouts and other spinny thingys (now outlawed due to public safety/insurance)
Milk in cartons at school--though not on hot days. Ick. Also, getting out of class by being milk monitor.
Razz (raspberry) and Sunnyboy (orange) flavoured ice
Snip (chocolate or strawberry) frozen milk
Minimum of hot chips (a large parcel) from the corner fish shop: 20c
Hotpants
Platforms (shoes)
Sunken loungerooms filled with cushions
Split level houses with raked ceilings
For the Aussies: kicking a footy on the oval between quarters and after the game.
Hot summer nights in the pool watching the day/night cricket on TV between Australia and the Windies (especially Big Bird--Joel Garner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Garner)).
Fireworks in your own backyard
Hitchhikers
Camping wherever you please (just about)

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 02:15 PM
The BBQ picnics organized by my school and parents' workplaces. They were awesome.

The Olympics: Mark Spitz winning 7 gold medals; Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10s.

Vinyl LPs.

Benny Hill.

waylander
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
My hair

mum23
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
The BBQ picnics organized by my school and parents' workplaces. They were awesome.

The Olympics: Mark Spitz winning 7 gold medals; Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10s.

Vinyl LPs.

Benny Hill.

Olga Korbutt was my idol. My sister and I used to set up a plank in the back garden and try to perform the beam sequences. I remember the bars collapsing on Ludmilla. I loved the piano music, don't like how they perform to the stuff nowadays.

Unique
08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Mark Spitz - I remember watching that.

Were you even born yet, Maestro?

oops.........zzoomm.........

rhymegirl
08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Wearing a size 5.

Perks
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
What do you miss from the 70's? A few things, but none so much as this. It's the only muscle(y) car I've craved to own.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/images/carpics/STL/3343/3343.jpg

badducky
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I was in the seventies for only about two weeks.

I guess I miss wearing diapers. Also, the constant napping was awesome.

Perks
08-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Lol! I was in it for ten years, but I didn't notice that car until 1988. So, perhaps it's more nostalgia than longing. Being 0-10 was a pain in the ass, as I recall.

benbradley
08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
12" 45's.

Unique
08-22-2007, 05:25 PM
A few things, but none so much as this. It's the only muscle(y) car I've craved to own.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/images/carpics/STL/3343/3343.jpg

Marry Me, Perks. We can have a set. (http://www.cool-autos.net/Pictures/Shelby/Shelby_Mustang_GT-500E_SS03-1.jpg)

rhymegirl
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I was in the seventies for only about two weeks.

I guess I miss wearing diapers. Also, the constant napping was awesome.

:roll:

Perks
08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Marry Me, Perks. We can have a set. (http://www.cool-autos.net/Pictures/Shelby/Shelby_Mustang_GT-500E_SS03-1.jpg)Lol! And we can have baby Matchbox versions!

Vrooom----

III
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Staying up late enough to see the National Anthem and the TV station actually GO OFF THE AIR FOR THE NIGHT!

EriRae
08-22-2007, 05:39 PM

We bought a house 5 years ago with red shag in the master bedroom, thinking we would remodel right away and get rid of it. Yeah, it's still there. For some reason, it smells wonderful when sunlight hits it, so we're keeping it for another year.

EriRae
08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I miss Happy Days. I miss Parker Stevenson. I miss Electric Company, and Sesame Street before Elmo, and The Dukes of Hazzard. Somebody's gonna give me a negative rep point, but come on---I was 2. They were funny when I was 2. Now, not so much.

I miss my dad's 1977 Silver Chevrolet Monte Carlo. That is still my definition of beautiful. My 2004 Supercharged has nothing on the silver bullet. I miss that car.

Del
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I had a http://www.southernbushmotorsports.com/a81ere2.jpg

My brother had a http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/images/69MachI.jpg

and we found a lot of http://www.policeny.com/images/71R%20(Small).jpg

*sigh* Those where the days.

III
08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
The Dukes of Hazzard. Somebody's gonna give me a negative rep point, but come on---I was 2. They were funny when I was 2. Now, not so much.

Negative rep point? Dukes of Hazzard was the highlight of the week! Every Friday night, man. You couldn't tear my brother and I away from that for anything.

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Anitra and Janice, the original Barker's Beauties. Before they were even called "Barker's Beauties".

And begging my mom to stay up late during summer/winter vacation so I could listen to CBS Radio Mystery Theater, hosted by E. G. Marshall. And only succeeding about 5 or 6 times during my entire childhood.

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Mark Spitz - I remember watching that.

Were you even born yet, Maestro?

oops.........zzoomm.........

I was born in 1987. That's right. But we in Asia get the news a decade or so late. ;)

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Lol! I was in it for ten years, but I didn't notice that car until 1988. So, perhaps it's more nostalgia than longing. Being 0-10 was a pain in the ass, as I recall.

I do miss all the toy cars I had. I had just about every muscle (toy) car on the market. I was a toy car nuts.

And LEGO. I loved my LEGO.

III
08-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Ohhhh I remembered another favorite - waking up on a snowy morning and listening to WTOP on the radio for school closings. C'mon Montgomery County! C'mon Montgomery County! C'mon Montgomery County!

I guess that's not just a 70's thing, but that's when I was a kid.

JLCwrites
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I was on the 'do you care about your hair' thread, and posted that I missed clogs. I had a great pair in the 70's, when it was cool to wear them.

I miss

- Donna Summer
- Abba (though I DO have them on the mp3 player!)
- Roller disco (well, not really, but it was kinda cool)
- Starsky and Hutch
- Emergency!
- Hawaii Five-O

What do you miss?

Ive got ABBA on my IPod!

I miss feathered hair
Metal lunch boxes
Being able to ride in the back of a pickup truck
Avacado appliances
Macrame! We need more Macrame in the world!

Del
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Stingray bicycles

http://www.antiquewhs.com/2005012.jpg

III
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Metal lunch boxes

I had a Kiss metal lunch box. Of course this is back before they took off the makeup. Coolest. Lunchbox. Ever.

Del
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
old school choppers.
http://historyhost.com/texasbikers-OldSchoolChopper1.gif

Jaycinth
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Haskins mooning everyone who walked past the 7-11 on Friday night.

eldragon
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
My brother, who was killed in the 90's.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Negative rep point? Dukes of Hazzard was the highlight of the week! Every Friday night, man. You couldn't tear my brother and I away from that for anything.

Same here. I enjoyed to no end watching the General Lee get her front end crumpled up at the end of a jump, and then in the very next scene seeing her coming down the road with no damage at all to any part of the car.

Salem
08-22-2007, 08:05 PM
~My dad's car that was the exact replica of the one Starsky and Hutch had. Everyone would stare as we drove by and we thought we were so cool!

~Getting a new metal lunch box every year before school started.

~Picking up new school clothes from lay-away at Sears.

~An ice cream truck driving down the street 5 times a day in the summer.

~My Barbie Townhouse

~listening to the latest songs by Heart.

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Non-chain stores where there was only one, maybe two, in the entire city. Department stores (Robertsons), bakeries (Dainty Maid), bookstores (the Gryphon), grocery stores (Cira's, Gruber's). Things like that.

C.bronco
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Miss Betty never saw me. My self esteem has never recovered.
I thought it was Miss Maryann. Either way, she never saw me in the magic mirror either.
I remember my friend and I roller skating to Styx in her garage while wearing our Dr. Dentons and eating candy cigarettes. Remember candy cigarettes?! LOL

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I thought it was Miss Maryann. Either way, she never saw me in the magic mirror either.
I remember my friend and I roller skating to Styx in her garage while wearing our Dr. Dentons and eating candy cigarettes. Remember candy cigarettes?! LOL
Romper Room was franchised regionally, so there were different hostesses.

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
The fisher price record player. You the one that played those plastic records. :D We used to listen to Daniel Boone Davy Crockett over and over. How does that song go?

http://dolinsky.fa.indiana.edu/caveart/spr02/nsPage/324/FisherPriceRecordplayer1.jpg
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/new-images/images-ok/900-999/FP995-EB81909379-B.JPG

For that matter, Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, and records.

For those of you born too late, records were like frisbee sized cds that you played on something called a record player. You would very carefully place the arm on top of the record. The record would spin around and you would hear the music. ;)

Catch you on the flip side.

reigningcatsndogs
08-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't remember a Daniel Boone song, but I can remember the Davy Crockett song -- Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, Greenest state in the land of the free, raised in the woods so he knew every tree, shot him a bar when he was only three. Davyyyyyyyy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier.

reigningcatsndogs
08-22-2007, 10:04 PM
What about slinky's that were metal, and inchworms!!!! Those damn inchworms were sooo noisy, but that made them all the better.

And there was Kaboom, and Tip-it, Bug IN/Bug Out and Dreamdate -- and Barbie was an airline hostess!!!

dahmnait
08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh man. I meant Davy Crockett. :e2paperba

They say that the memory is the first to go.

Salem
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Life before excessive lawsuits! When you fell down in a store you simply got up and kept going. Now people are on their cell phone with their lawyers, ready to sue before they can even dust off their True Religion jeans. Jackasses.

III
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Big Wheels with the brake handle and plastic tires that were worn all the way through from skid-outs.

sassandgroove
08-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh I LOVED Big Wheels. But I am sure it was the 80's by the time I remember using them.

davids
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Brunch with Sean Connery

MonaLeigh
08-22-2007, 11:04 PM
(I was born in 1970)
The music
The Brady Bunch
The wild parties my parents had
My big wheel
I didn't worry about anything except every year when I threw up on the first day of school (in the car).
My friends
Playing outside all day until dark
Sesame Street
The Electric Company
Hot summer nights and getting to stay outside even later than usual
My parents together

BenPanced
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
The fisher price record player.
Close 'n' Play, the battery-operated record player from Kenner.

Hell, Kenner Toys, in general. And Marx. And Ideal.

And Dip-Dots, the spill-proof paints.

Pink Panther Flakes.

Quangaroos.

That time davids had brunch with Sean Connery.

You could stay outside until 9:00 or later without your parents worrying about you being abducted/molested/sold into white slavery.

EriRae
08-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Stingray bicycles

http://www.antiquewhs.com/2005012.jpg

YES!! I rode my brother's Stingray all over hell. I'll never forget the time we went bikeriding on this dirt farm path, and my dad was way ahead of me, so I thought I'd just let it fly down this hill and catch up to him...there must've been a rock somewhere, because the next thing I remember is my dad standing over me. I'd smashed the handlebars of the bike together when I landed, after I did a flip in the air. Predecessor to BMX...who knew? My dad straightened them for me :) He still has the bike, but he took off the fenders. Original Stingrays are worth quite a bit of money these days, if you have one in good shape.

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 04:48 AM
The original Lite Brite.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Big Wheels with the brake handle and plastic tires that were worn all the way through from skid-outs.

I got a Green Machine on my 7th Birthday. It was basically a Big Wheel with two levers that steered via the back wheels. Boy, was it cool!

Del
08-23-2007, 05:13 AM
because the next thing I remember is my dad standing over me. I'd smashed the handlebars of the bike together when I landed, after I did a flip in the air.

I chopped all my bikes. I did one in while in KY in 73 that made the local paper. Springer fork, king/queen seat, rear suspension, lights...the whole shebang. One of the only 8 foot 20 inch bicycles of the time. :D

Well...there were some that didn't make the paper; barely made the driveway. One of the fastest ways to extend your fork was to cut the forks off another bike and jamb them onto yours. I did my brother's bike that way. He popped a wheelie...and I'm sure he felt pretty sick as he watched his front tire roll away dragging the fork extension just before his raw fork bit into the pavement. There was no burn but the crash was awesome. :D He wouldn't let chop his bikes anymore. He road stock.

southernwriter
08-23-2007, 05:21 AM
I can't believe this thread was started only yesterday. It's already huge. It seems most of you were still kids in the 70's, and you were a TV generation. I graduated high school in the 70's, so I got to do all the fun, forbidden stuff you were too young for. What I miss most: Everything!

rock music
bare feet and guys with bare chests, long hair, and beards
did I say beards?
platform shoes
hippies
getting high with friends
concerts where it was impossible to sit down
music festivals
Rolling Stone magazine when it was still cutting edge
Saturday Night Live when it was still cutting edge
Michael Jackson when he still looked normal
expressions like "You're a trip," and "that's too cool"
rebellion and political upheaval / the end of the Viet Nam war
posters, black lights, and incense
skipping school to hang out at the park
Frisbees
watching Fantasia under the influence
Richard Pryor
Cheech and Chong
There was no Wal-Mart!!!

Del
08-23-2007, 05:26 AM
I turned 15 in 1970. If I had been 15 in 69 I would have made Woodstock. :(

southernwriter
08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
People have posted some of my faves (Abba, roller disco, Swanson TV dinners). I also miss Carnation Breakfast Bars and Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo.

I used to have little lights that attached to the underside of my roller skates. I thought I was SO cool.

Yesssss! The original Herbal Essences shampoo before it was bought by whatever conglomerate bought it. The only place to find it then was at a head shop, and it smelled like freshly mown grass. It came in an opaque green bottle. Am I the only person who remembers it? I also like Breck Basic Texturizing Shampoo with Protein. Gone. Loooooong gone. :cry:

What about Love cosmetics? Anyone remember those? And Heaven Scent perfume?

Jersey Chick
08-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Hmmm... I don't know... maybe the cool Star Wars toys - like the Death Star with with trash smasher in it. And the Easy Bake Oven! And ABBA (I was about 6 when "Dancing Queen" came out and my best friend and I thought we were so cool disco dancing to it) and KISS dolls Grease.

Wow, I didn't think I remembered that much from the 70s! :D

southernwriter
08-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm loving this thread, you guys are reminding me of all the great stuff I miss that I'd forgotten!

and I watched reruns of that 60's variety show...what the heck was the name....you know "sock it to me!".

Laugh In, the show that made Goldie Hawn famous. And Lily Tomlin. And Whoopie Goldberg by osmosis. Goldberg, Robin Williams, and Billy Crystal were the reigning "brat pack."

southernwriter
08-23-2007, 05:47 AM
I saw a movie once. I don't know what it was called. It could be from the 80's but very early if it wasn't the 70's. It had Sam Waterston (From Law &Order and TD Ameritrade commercials) as the troll that lived under the bridge. Everyone thought he ate kids, but really he loved them and kept them in a magic place under the bridge where theywouldn't age. The kid in the movie points out that he is robbing them of experiencing life to the fullest. Anyway, William H. Macey was the turtle and Susan Anton was the mermaid whose hair was the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Point: (Yes I have one.) I used to work at a Deli in Los Angeles, and Susan Anton came in one time. I told her how much I had liked that movie and she was so puzzled, she didn't know what I meant. I thought to myself, "I know it was her." So after she ate, and she came up to pay, she thanked me becuase she had forgotton about that movie until I reminded her. :D She was very nice.

Susan Anton. There's a blast from the past.

I think the movie you're talking about was one in a series of fairytales produced by Shelley Duvall (The Shining). They all starred famous actors, who wanted to make movies they thought their kids could actually watch (it was the glory days for Rambo and Rocky movies, remember?) They're still available on Amazon. Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Don't forget Jaws and Halloween.

It pains me that Rob Zombie has remade it. No one can top the original, BECAUSE it's gritty and dated.

TrainofThought
08-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Jordache (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48t967TGzE) , Gloria Vanderbilt, Sergio Valente (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v1-YT1o-d8) Jeans

reigningcatsndogs
08-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Hotpants
and playing Crack the Whip when we were skating in the winter -- damn, did I get some good nose-bleeds from that!

akiwiguy
08-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I have this digitally-remastered DVD of Deep Purple, and the audience (in a TV studio or whatever that it's shot in) looks for all the world like teachers taking their students out for the experience. It takes me right back to about 15 at school. But what's interesting is the way that in the midst of this band going wild (Ritchie Blackmore is insane in it) the kids sit there with a transfixed appreciative stare as though digesting something classical. Really different, and a great nostalgia item for me.

I can still remember the first two LPs I ever bought to play on my little vinyl-covered record player.
Deep Purple - Made in Rock
The Who - Live At Leeds

A lot of the 70s actually ended up quite unhappy for me.. too much addictive stuff. Mixed feelings, the fun of youth, but pain as well.

To this day though I often think ... would I go on a several day and night acid trip again? No, don't think so. If I went back there, would I still want to try it.... hmmm, I think so. A strange time for me.

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 06:15 AM
A television season lasted 26 to 32 weeks. It was incredibly rare, if it happened at all, for a program to be yanked after only two episodes.

And when you wanted to write somebody on a TV show? You actually had to WRITE A LETTER to them. AND SEND IT IN THE MAIL.

And related to this: the first 45 I ever bought was A Heartbeat (Is A Love Beat) by the DeFranco Family. K-Mart. 72 cents.

Jo
08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
What about slinky's that were metal, and inchworms!!!! Those damn inchworms were sooo noisy, but that made them all the better.

And there was Kaboom, and Tip-it, Bug IN/Bug Out and Dreamdate -- and Barbie was an airline hostess!!!
And slime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_%28toy%29). Green and gooey, and came in a little garbage can. I also remember making small, multi-coloured rubbery balls in a mould, and then losing them on the roof and gutter when they bounced too high.

I don't miss the hot curlers, curling tongs and plastic cap hairdryer Mum and my older sister subjected me to, but I do miss the scent of incense my sister used to cover the smoke smell (from my burning hair and scalp, and her secret smoking habit).

I also don't miss the uncomfortable clothes and undergarments--scratchy nylon, polyester or wool. Pinafores and stockings on hot days. And gloves. And hats. And wigs. Dress codes. My sister even had to wear the right knickers to high school (teachers stood in the stairwell and checked). And for the men, combovers and ugly toupees. Oh, and the safari suit. Argh! And as much as tracksuits were meant to be comfortable, the first ones were hot and stiff, with no give and clunky zippered jackets.

Jersey Chick
08-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh I remember slime! Mine exploded all over the dog.

that was the end of the slime

Del
08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Laredos

http://www.ryomagazine.com/jan2001/laredoopen.jpg

Open the machine, drop in a filter (or not) pack in the tobacco (or the like) slip the prepared paper onto the metal guide and push the lever! TADA! Your very own homemade cigarette (or recreational experience :D).

No two were ever the same.

EriRae
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Wacky Wall Walkers. Hee Haw. 3-d glasses. The Last Unicorn. Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound, good Disney.

Re-runs of Disney movies on New Year's Day, all day. All the cousins would get together and go :) We saw The Rescuers, Cinderella, Snow White, Bambi...good times...then they gave us an apple, an orange, and a bag full of shell-peanuts and sent us on our merry way.

JLCwrites
08-23-2007, 11:41 AM

We did too! *High five!*

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgrG35-3js).

III
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgrG35-3js).

I can't stop watching it ...

someone please kill me ....

Julie Worth
08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Streaking.

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Jim Palmer's ads for Jockey.

JoeEkaitis
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
One word:

Quadraphonic

Sean D. Schaffer
08-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Wacky Wall Walkers. Hee Haw. 3-d glasses. The Last Unicorn. Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound, good Disney.

Re-runs of Disney movies on New Year's Day, all day. All the cousins would get together and go :) We saw The Rescuers, Cinderella, Snow White, Bambi...good times...then they gave us an apple, an orange, and a bag full of shell-peanuts and sent us on our merry way.

On our local CBS affiliate, every so often we would have specials where they would show two movies, at different times. One was Charlotte's Web and the other was Rikki Tikki Tavi. They would be continued the next day because the slots were only an hour long. Ah, childhood!

Christine N.
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Leisure suits! Oh, you could roll them up into a ball and shove them into the bottom of a bag and the thing came out wrinkle-free.

And they came in such pretty colors - pistachio green, sherbert orange, powder blue...the miracle of polyester!

Unique
08-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Leisure suits cause cancer.

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman....

Del
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Remember this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0)?

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Afros. Now that's a fashion statement you wouldn't forget...

Del
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Afros. Now that's a fashion statement you wouldn't forget...

Where's Spooky. We need an example. And he can pass that joint too.

Salem
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
The Farah Fawcett poster and all the Farah hair-dos that followed!

Sean D. Schaffer
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Remember this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0)?

Tiny Tim? I had one of his songs on an old K-Tel record that belonged to my sister back in the '70s. It was called Tip-Toe Through The Tulips and the voice he used was hilarious.

And that's another thing I miss about the '70s: K-Tel records. I don't know what ever happened to my sister's old record, but it was called Looney Tunes, and the cover had the old tunnel from the Warner Brothers cartoons, with caracatures (sp?) of the different artists included in the album, inside the tunnel. It had such grand songs as Transfusion by Nervous Norvis and The Streak by Ray Stevens.

III
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Being able to watch Three's Company and think of it as sophistocated adult humor, rather than watching Three's Company reruns and thinking "this is the most retarded thing I've ever seen!"

maestrowork
08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
70s pron music.

jennifer75
08-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Being able to watch Three's Company and think of it as sophistocated adult humor, rather than watching Three's Company reruns and thinking "this is the most retarded thing I've ever seen!"

Isn't it sad?

BenPanced
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
The sneak preview shows the night before the new Saturday morning cartoons premiered. And how you had to fight to watch them because they were inevitably scheduled on top of each other and everybody had their own favorite network.

Christine N.
08-24-2007, 01:26 AM
And you only had one TV in the house!

III
08-24-2007, 01:33 AM
And your mom had to change the channels for you because the knob was impossible for your young hands to turn.

Meerkat
08-24-2007, 01:37 AM
hmmm...that reminds me: the knobs you had to turn with pliers, because the plastic part was stripped. The eight track tape you had to wedge up a little with a screwdriver to get it to find the magnetic head. And the third essential tool: swiss army knives!

reigningcatsndogs
08-24-2007, 01:38 AM
And the dime you set on the arm of the turn table so the needle wouldn't jump

Unique
08-24-2007, 04:23 AM
70s pron music.

Like 'Midnight at the Oasis'?

Where's scarlett?

Unique
08-24-2007, 04:24 AM
hmmm...that reminds me: the knobs you had to turn with pliers, because the plastic part was stripped. The eight track tape you had to wedge up a little with a screwdriver to get it to find the magnetic head. And the third essential tool: swiss army knives!
and the matchbook under the tape so it wouldn't drag.

Did you know they don't pass out free matches anymore? Whatta rip. I'm wasn't done papering my bathroom.

akiwiguy
08-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Not quite 70s for me , but I always wanted a pair of X-ray glasses. The ones that were shown in little cartoon adverts. $4.99 or whatever, which seemed very reasonable for the devious pleasures I intended to experience.

MonaLeigh
08-24-2007, 06:28 AM
And you only had one TV in the house!

That you had to actually get UP to change! I miss those days of exercise.

southernwriter
08-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Like 'Midnight at the Oasis'?

Where's scarlett?

He he he. Bring your camel to bed. What was up with that? Remember Joni Mitchell's "I got a brand new pair of rollerskates. You've got a brand new key ..."

benbradley
08-24-2007, 06:37 AM
70s pron music.

Deep Throat (and no, I don't mean Mark Felt). I recall some of the soundtrack featured Hammond organ, but it just wasn't dramatic enough for the action. They should have just swiped a good recording of the 1812 Overture.

I guess I could do that myself, much like "The Dark Side of The Moon" (1972) as the soundtrack to "The Wizard of Oz."

benbradley
08-24-2007, 06:41 AM
He he he. Bring your camel to bed. What was up with that? Remember Joni Mitchell's "I got a brand new pair of rollerskates. You've got a brand new key ..."
That wasn't Joni (who turned strangely jazzy...):
http://www.superseventies.com/1972_4singles.html

CatSlave
08-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Bell-bottom hiphuggers.
Visible hipbones.
Head shops.

Del
08-24-2007, 07:02 AM
"I got a brand new pair of rollerskates.

This was rumored to represent that cool little two roller cigarette (Umhmmm...sure) roller which was sometimes lovingly called a roller skate.

You've got a brand new key ..."

Slang for Kilo. Do I need to point out to anyone how these two items might go together?

Then, the Beatles often marveled at the hidden meanings their songs developed post facto.

BenPanced
08-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Spencer's Gifts stores. Before they turned on all the lights in the place to avoid potential lawsuits. Before they stopped selling incense to avoid potential lawsuits. Before they turned off the blacklights to avoid potential lawsuits. Before they got rid of the more "mature" merchandise to avoid potential lawsuits.

writerterri
08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Interesting. In my area, The Electric Company was on Channel 10: PBS. (Although I think PBS might have had a different name back then.)

The early 70's in Los Angeles?

I only remember it on the U channel. It was still PBS but you had to use the "other dial" to get to it.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
The early 70's in Los Angeles?

I only remember it on the U channel. It was still PBS but you had to use the "other dial" to get to it.

No, the late 70's in Portland, Oregon. Sandy, actually, but it's close enough to Portland that the small town had the same PBS station as Portland did.

When I was little I used to call that U channel, 'Channel U'. I thought it was VHF just like any other channel. Little did I know about all the other cool channels that could be found by turning the second dial ... we never used Channel U unless I snuck a chance to change it when my parents weren't looking. That was a big no-no.

southernwriter
08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
This was rumored to represent that cool little two roller cigarette (Umhmmm...sure) roller which was sometimes lovingly called a roller skate.

Slang for Kilo. Do I need to point out to anyone how these two items might go together?

Then, the Beatles often marveled at the hidden meanings their songs developed post facto.

:e2smack: I had no idea! All these decades later ... boy, do I feel dumb.

Unique
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
:e2smack: I had no idea! All these decades later ... boy, do I feel dumb.

Don't feel alone. Maybe it was a regional thing....since we were neighbors and all ... it stands to reason we wouldn't know the same things that we did know, you know? ;)

KTC
08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I miss those 'end of the world' freaks that sprung up over and over in the 70s. I remember one day in, I think '73, when one of these 'last days' came about. It was in July, I think? My brother and I went outside with umbrellas. It was a scorcher of a sunny day and we were out to survive the END OF DAYS fully outfitted in our Honest Eds buck-fifty umbrellas. Man...I miss the naiveté of the 70s!

Oh, and those knocker thingys...the great mother marble thingys on strings that they outlawed because too many people lost an eye.

Unique
08-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey! I remember those. Did anyone really lose an eye? And what about those super balls that actually went over a 2 story house? (Although that was in the 60's) And those big airblasting guns by Whammo! And Op Yops.

Don't get that elastic near your hair. Trust me on that.

KTC
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I think the whole 'losing an eye' thing was a government conspiracy...possibly the very first one. I remember the super balls too...those buggers could down a plane if you weren't careful. And the whammo guns and the op yops. Christ...I'm old. I also loved my Big Wheel and my Green Machine. Oh, the good ole days!

Bmwhtly
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I miss not existing, it was so peaceful back then.

reigningcatsndogs
08-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey! I remember those. Did anyone really lose an eye?

My sister actually whacked herself on either side of the head with one. No need to tell you there was no brain damage -- can't hurt what apparently isn't there!!!
The best part -- she was freaked by them afterwards!! It was great every time she annoyed me!!!

Del
08-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I think the whole 'losing an eye' thing was a government conspiracy...

The original Klackers were cool but I did see a set explode. It is highly likely an eye could be lost.
http://www.buysellcommunity.com/uploads/081005/hhlflzedjstf.jpg

And they replaced them with this awesome device.

http://www.thescienceconnection.net/New_retail_images/klackers_25.jpg

Progress!

maestrowork
08-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh, yo yos. Did anyone mention yo yos?

Jo
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh, yo yos. Did anyone mention yo yos?

Yep. Somewhere in here. Hang on. *searching*

Gack, we're a nostalgic bunch.

*still searching*

Okay. Yep. Here. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1567992&postcount=142) At the top. (It was a cryptic intro...)

maestrowork
08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I miss this commercial -- that's what made me want to go to America when I was just a tiny tot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU

Practically a religious experience.

Unique
08-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Progress!

Not.

maestrowork
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Okay. Yep. Here. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1567992&postcount=142) At the top. (It was a cryptic intro...)

Yo Yos deserve their own thread, not just a cryptic mention!!!!