What do you miss from the 70's?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I was on the 'do you care about your hair' thread, and posted that I missed clogs. I had a great pair in the 70's, when it was cool to wear them.

It got me thinking: what else do people miss about the 70's?

I miss

- Donna Summer
- Abba (though I DO have them on the mp3 player!)
- Roller disco (well, not really, but it was kinda cool)
- Starsky and Hutch
- Emergency!
- Hawaii Five-O

What do you miss?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I have to agree with Abba, and also with Emergency. For some reason, I loved that show! I also miss Elton John (even though he's still full-on today, I think his 70's stuff was so much better than anything from the last 20 years!).

I also miss the fact that in the 70's I was still a child and life was so much easier then!

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Steely Dan.
National Lampoon.
driving from Tucson to Phoenix on five dollars of gas...and not seeing any other towns.
real conversations, face to face.
the notion that everyone was in the same boat.
the notion that anything could happen.
dancing as if you were insane.
seeing Boz Skaggs for eight dollars....then accidently stepping on his foot at the local watering hole after the concert.
the dawn of automation.
James Clavell books.
Pontiac products--when they were well made.
Alice Cooper.
Chicago.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Bell bottom jeans

70's soft rock (Lobo, Jim Croce, etc)

early Stephen King before he was a major phenomen

Long straight hair

Chambray shirts for guys

Youth (I graduated from high school in 1979 at age 17)

Drive-in movies

Local hamburger joints, not chains

Mom and pop grocery stores

Cruising (not frowned upon if not outlawed in most places)

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Cub scouts and my little brother.
Tube socks with red and blue stripes on top.
Styx on the AM radio.
Innocence.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing, especially now that Abba have been rehabilitated and it's okay to listen to them again.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
The family routine of Saturday afternoon Bugs Bunny, and Sunday evening World of Disney, the old swimming hole that you just jumped into without worry, Doctor in the House, sock hops (with Tony Orlando and Dawn, Bay City Rollers, KC and the Sunshine Band, Mungo Jerry). Also, there was a band in Canada in the late 70's called Showdown -- I miss their Rodeo Song (sooooooooo funny). We also had bell bottoms that had canadian flags sewn into the cuffs, and I think that was the start of wearing sweat suits as well -- the ones with the really tight cuffs and the matching zippered jacket.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Pontiac products--when they were well made.

OMG, yes! My mom had a yellow Pontiac Catalina... that thing was a MONSTER. Good, American made car made of steel. It was a total tank.

My dad had a maroon Ford Fairlaine with no AC. Muscle car. It was awesome. He sold it for a more 'responsible' car. I miss that thing.

Yes on Drive-Ins. I also miss that you could see a movie for $1 on Monday nights around here.

YES ON ANDY GIBB!!! In fact, I'd say I totally miss the Bee Gees.

Oh, and the Hardy Boys! I so miss them. And the Partridge family.

TV's you had to physically get out of the chair to change the channel! Remotes have contributed to obesity, I'm almost certain. :)

Reaction score
The Banana Splits, Jamie & His Magic Torch, Mr Snuggles, Bagpuss...they don't make 'em like they used to.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
Man I can't believe you all left out stuff like:

Mr Roger's Neighborhood
Bozo
Captain Kangaroo
Romper Room
American Bandstand

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
TV's you had to physically get out of the chair to change the channel! Remotes have contributed to obesity, I'm almost certain. :)
LOL...I still have one. I have had 2 other TVs that have broken, but that one, with its two dials, still works great. Damn, I am going to say it...They knew how to make things to last back then.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Man I can't believe you all left out stuff like:

Mr Roger's Neighborhood
Bozo
Captain Kangaroo
Romper Room
American Bandstand

Romper Room!!! I still have my letter from Miss Betty!!!! She saw me in her mirror one day. We also used to have The Friendly Giant -- 'a chair where two more can curl up in'. I also remember watching the news coverage from Vietnam every night on the news.

Does anyone else remember being afraid to get in trouble at school because it would be twice as bad when you got home, being the school guard in Grade 5, and knowing that every other mother in the neighborhood had the same amount of authority as your own when you did something wrong? They would get those damn party lines ringing -- ours was a long and two shorts!:)

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Okay, now I wanna go buy some disco CD's and rip them to my mp3 player. Donna, the BeeGees, and oh yes...KC and the Sunshine Band.

I was gonna say something about party lines. We didn't have one, but I know about them. LOL

And there was the fact you could go out and play all day in the summer and nobody worried about it. No 'playdates' or supervised play. Just 'be back before dark'.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now I wanna go buy some disco CD's and rip them to my mp3 player. Donna, the BeeGees, and oh yes...KC and the Sunshine Band.

I was gonna say something about party lines. We didn't have one, but I know about them. LOL

Okay there's at least one other thing I don't miss about the 70's

Death Before Disco!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
8-track tapes
BSR Turntables
Console Stereos
Disneyland Records -- I still have a few of those.
Cars with massive V-8 engines (early '70s)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going to a drive-in movie. My mom would make up two or three batches of popcorn and dump them into a paper grocery bag (kids! Ask your parents!) and fill the Coleman jug with Wyler's lemonade. Three movies, including an intermission with the "GO TO THE SNACK BAR NOW! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!" reels. Saw my first James Bond (Live And Let Die) at the drive-in.

Anybody else remember the chain of command there used to be regarding movies? They'd debut at indoor theatres, play out, play a couple weeks at the drive-in, and finally show up on TV about six months later.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score

And there was the fact you could go out and play all day in the summer and nobody worried about it. No 'playdates' or supervised play. Just 'be back before dark'.

I had to explain about Scrub to my nieces. And disco balls -- we were setting up the hall for my parents 50th anniversary and there was a mirror ball in the middle of the ceiling. The kids turned it on, stared at it for a moment, and finally one asked "Is that all it does? Doesn't it go faster?"