What kind of flash do you like best?

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I've kind of been a lurker (though i did post something here once), but I'm trying to break free of my metaphoric shell and get our there a little bit. You'd think with the relative anominity of a message board I still wouldn't be shy, but.... what can i say.

:Shrug:

I sort of wanted to introduce myself and maybe ask a few questions of everyone. I checked to see if there were any recent discussions about this and I didn't see anything, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Do you have a specific word count you always end up falling around when you're writing flash? I mean, I know flash is 1,000 words or less, but do you find you're always ending right around the same number? And how'd everyone get started writing flash, anyway?

I'm usually in the 600-800 word range and I've really been trying to get down right around 500 words, which is so tough sometimes. I have trouble deciding if I'm chopping too much out of the story and making it way more cryptic than it should be. Especially considering I usually have a problem with brevity (most of my short stories are around 5,000 words).

Which is how I ended up trying flash... I've seen a lot about it recently (and this forum has helped tremendously) and thought - well, I have to be brief, and maybe it'll improve my short story writing altogether. Pare it down, y'know?

Oh yeah... and I absolutely cannot write drabble. 100 words on the money? I haven't been able to do it yet!

Anyway, just curious. Thanks for listening to me babble!

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I tend to stay in the shorter range, but for me at the moment, it's more a matter of finding time. Better something short than nothing at all, huh?

Welcome to the Suddenly forum, Tymolee. :D

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Hi again. I remember the story (Every Day) you posted a couple of months ago.

My stories always seem to be in the 200-300 word range, or occassionally drabbles. I have a hard time finding the 500-600 word range, which is too bad, because many of markets are looking for stories of 500 words or more. I'll cut to get the word count down, but I don't add words simply to get the count up. I guess my approach is to write until the idea runs out.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the short ones. Especially if I'm reading on line. (~500)

(~800) if the story is captivating. (+~1,200) It's tough. unless I'm holding it.

It's a rare skill - well, I say that cuz I talk too much.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine usually come in around the 700~ mark. I've written precious little drabble. I stink at it. :D

For type of flash, I love speculative. I just adore stories that take me away from my hum drum every day life as a soccer mom.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Finding the time to do anything is really difficult lately! Sometimes I think that's another reason why I like flash.... I can have a really satisfying read in a short amount of time.

I just think it's interesting how you can kind of gravitate to a certain word count without really attempting to. I mean, I want my shorts to be right around 500 or so... but invariably my roughs are more than that. It does give me a greater appreciation for word choices.

I also really like speculative flash... Right now I'm a football mom myself, and it is nice to be able to get a glimpse of something unique.

Oh, and I'm happy you remembered me, Dobiwon. And I like how you said that you write until the idea runs out... My problem is that I tend to overdo the idea, I think. If that makes sense.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
My stories are all over the place. The one that is doing the rounds is around 250 words, Another one I'm revising is 500-something words. I'm planning one of at least 1000 words. If you have trouble writing something short, perhaps your ideas are too complex for really short fiction. Have you tried condensing your idea to a single line and cut any extranuous fat from the story that doesn't go with that idea?

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
I think that is a great deal of my problem... that my ideas can be really complex (waaaay too complex). Trying to narrow it down to a single line is a really good idea. I'll just have to make sure it isn't a run-on sentence!

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
My pieces range from the very short (I think my smallest is 30 words - so far!) to the 1000 word limit. When I write I just write the piece without really working out length or planning it. It's only afterwards I take a step back to see what I've created.

My everyday writing is much longer then sudden fiction so I find it quite interesting and very enjoyable trying to get an idea (even a complex one) across to people in as little words as possible.