• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

The Taos Hum

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Most of you guys and gals already know the hum well.

For them that don't, it's a real phenomena in Taos, NM and vicinity.

Info here:http://www.qsl.net/w5www/taoshum.html
http://www.subversiveelement.com/TaosHum.html

Low Frequency Noise Sufferers banded together to form a support group, but I'll be darned if I can find the US website.

This sort of thing occurs lots of places, but it was well-publicized in Taos.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of a lot of odd phenomena, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Not sure why you would say "most of you ..." already know about it, unless it's some sort of attempt at a comment about writers.

Independent googling does bring up other webpages on the topic, so it's certainly 'real' in that a number of people worldwide appear to suffer from it.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about it a few years ago, and I've dismissed it as military stuff based on the locations.

Or general electricity. There's a constant hum in my house (the first article mentions that it's more common inside than out) and it's either my furnace or the power vent on my water heater.

I listened to the sound bites, even though the article said that it couldn't be picked up by microphone. Sounded just like any open mike. I'm more apt to believe that this sound is either military made or--and I'm totally open to this--there's a thin veil between this world and the next at those spots, and the most enlightened can hear it. The next vibration is coming through.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I say that most of you know, benbradley, because I've mentioned it before in other threads around here.

I just thought it needed to be put in science fact. Because it's real. And it's story fodder. Story fodder I'm not using anytime soon.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
As story fodder, I think something similar was used in The Snow Queen by Joan Vinge. As I recall, someone planted a sound emitter in a character's apartment to slowly drive her insane.

s_aileronbois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharonda.me
I guess I should be grateful for not having sensitive ears. I've been to Taos a couple of times this year, spent a total of three weeks there, and never heard the hum. I do wish, though, that someone would investigate the Taos So-Damned-Dry-Your-Lips-Will-Bleed Phenomena.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Echo s-aileron. I'm not doubting the existence of this phenomenon, but I too have been to Taos (neat neat place, by the way), and never heard nuthin'. The scientist in me suspects a perfectly natural, but interesting, explanation.

caw

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This is the first I have heard of this by name. Nice to finally know what happened to me was not in my head.

While staying in southeaster Arizona a couple of years ago I had this happen to me. At 11:00 every night the 'hum' would start. The sound was like a motor off in the distance. I finally had to have a fan almost next to my head left on in order to get some sleep.

I did have the dizziness and found I had shortness of breath and was always on edge. It was almost like without any pain your insides were grinding against each other. (I know that sounds dumb)

When I shared this information I was kind of blown off. But when I left there it did not happen any more. There is an Army base clsoe by that deals with communications, so that makes sense that it would be something to do with that. At the time I thought it might have something to do with the border patrol stuff.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
There was a similar event in Kokomo Indiana a few years ago. I remember there were several investigations, some federal agency was trying to track down the source ... because there too folks were complaining of dizziness and nausea etc.

I don't know how it turned out. I think they told the underground saucer base to stop running their hyperspace drives at full warp after midnight ... :)

But seriously, it was called the Kokomo Hum there too, about ... 2-3 years ago, it was in the Kokomo Tribune.

Now, when the Minneapolis bridge collapsed, a friend from Kentucky insisted that a dog walking across a bridge can set up a vibration that collapses bridges, and last night during the eclipse a woman was standing in the parking lot yelling for people to look up, this was the only time in 135 years that they'd see Mars eclipsing the Moon.

And so that's the dangerous thing the kokomo Hum was doing to folks' minds 40 miles away!

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Heard of it, but never actually heard it. Spent plenty of time toolin' around the area, too (back in my Albuquerque days).

No firm opinion, though having been there and not having heard it, I'm skeptical. Can't completely close the door though – perhaps my lack of hearing it may have been timing or other circumstance.

If it exists... what could it be? Don't know. Not sure that I'd put a military installation there, the area would've been saturated with nukes in the first round if the cold war had ever turned hot (Los Alamos would've been kind of a poop magnet in that respect). Then again, maybe Taos is far enough north that they figured that wouldn't be a major issue. Plenty of "remote locations" out there, after all...

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
We just spent eight days in Taos (we're now in Santa Fe) and the only hum I heard was from myself when presented with a food bill.

Waiter. "Here's your check, sir."

Me. "HMMMMMMMM!"

It's an expensive place. Nice scenery, great history, just expensive.