Status
Not open for further replies.

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInstrumentMovie.com
Hey,
I'm a published fiction writer and filmmaker and recently went to San Diego's Comic-Con to approach editors about an original graphic novel property I've created.

I had a sample packet with a synopsis, 7 pages of sample artwork, script pages, etc. And I've got a friend in the business who was kind enough to introduce me to some editors. I left sample packets with about a dozen of them.

The guys who illustrated for me were great, but ultimately, I'm not sure their artwork was up to par and at the very least I don't think it fit with what I was going for. So I've enlisted a new illustrator (he's excellent) to redo the mockup pages.

My question: I'd like to follow up with the editors I met in San Diego, but I don't know whether to do that immediately (and tell them I've got someone new working on the art) or to wait until the new artwork is finished and resubmit the sample packet.

Any advice?

Thanks,
-Adam

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Well...if I were you....

Before I resubmited the entire package, I'd find out what the overall response to the proposal is before taking any further action.

Did you include SASEs with the packages or was it understood that you'd inquire of the editors within a certain period of time or did you leave it as "don't call us, we'll call you" kind of situation?

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
You should have the business cards from all the editors you talked to. Just drop them a quick "just checking in" email.

I imagine most editors are still calming down from comic con and then wizard world.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Agree with the above, but depending on the publishers, it might take longer than a couple of weeks for them to get back on track, so don't sweat if they haven't looked at your stuff.

Also, if and when you do send new stuff, I would always include art unless you have been invited to submit to them regardless. It's the pretty pictures that sell the book.

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You should have the business cards from all the editors you talked to. Just drop them a quick "just checking in" email.

I imagine most editors are still calming down from comic con and then wizard world.

Yeah, I have all the business cards and was actually going to make some phone calls today. Do you think emails are better?

I had good personal interactions with a few big ones (Dark Horse, Top Shelf, etc.) and I thought it might be more personal to call (but would vastly prefer to email so I could craft my response a bit better).

Most of the editors I spoke to seemed to want a good few weeks of lag time before people got back in touch, so I'm not too worried about that. Comic-Con was so intense that I'd bet most editors needed a week or two just to recuperate.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
I would email, less intrusive and you can cut and paste your thoughts. If the emails turn out well then you can call.

History has taught me it's always better when editors call me than when I call them.

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Also, if and when you do send new stuff, I would always include art unless you have been invited to submit to them regardless. It's the pretty pictures that sell the book.

The new stuff will definitely include art (that's my whole reason for resubmitting), but your mentioning the pretty pictures actually brings up another question. I might post on another thread, but...

My experience is in fiction writing (and filmmaking) so I've had to seriously adapt my writing style for comics. More exposition. Less time to digress. Especially in a short mock-up, which i kinda see as a glorified "trailer" for what would be a much larger book, I've tried to make it as visual as possible and only include limited text. I figure most editors will want to see the art and the story, but I didn't want them to get bogged down in lots of dialogue and narration...

I'm proud of the script I wrote for this mockup, and consider it to be a great example of my ability to write for this medium. But I'm wondering how closely editors might look at the text. Should I beef it up and make it more literary? Will they assume that the panel compositions and the overall layout was based on my script or will they assume it was the illustrator's ideas?

Mainly, I just want the book to sell. I don't care about differentiating my work from the illustrators, and am enjoying the collaborative process much more than I did during my filmmaking days. But I just want to make sure the "writing" gets its due as well as the artwork.

Does this make any sense?

-Adam

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
But I just want to make sure the "writing" gets its due as well as the artwork.

Does this make any sense?

-Adam

Sure, but you might be over-thinking it a bit much.

Most of the editors will view the entire package as...well, the entire package, gauging the balance between the text and images.

It's certainly possible that an editor might prefer the art to the actual story or vice-versa, but you can't really second-guess that kind of reaction.

As a former comics editor myself, when I received a proposal package that contained art, I looked at it as a whole...unless, like I said, one aspect of it was vastly superior to another.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Mainly, I just want the book to sell. I don't care about differentiating my work from the illustrators, and am enjoying the collaborative process much more than I did during my filmmaking days. But I just want to make sure the "writing" gets its due as well as the artwork.

I personally would work on the assumption that the editor won't read your script. They will look at the finished pages.

In truth, there are a many ways to write a comic script and it's not like movie scripts. (WARNING - GROSS GENERALITIES TO FOLLOW!) A major difference is the way Marvel does/did script, which is have the writer give a general overview of the page, then the penciler doe sthe actual layout and then the writer comes back and adds the specific dialog. DC has more structured, panel by panel scripting method.

If you can get your pages done and even lettered (over pencils will give an idea to a reader) you stand more chance of having an editor actually look at your script. But even then, it's the comic they are looking at. And even without letters, can they follow the basics of the plot without the wordage?

My pretty pictures comment was flippant, but you should always remember comics are a visual medium. Come for the art, but stay for the writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.