Escape From New York Remake?

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
Could it be, please tell me it's not true. Unfortunately it seems to be fact. I heard about it the other day and was disgusted with it. I am so tired of remakes and now they are remaking my all time favorite movie.

I decided to do a little digging and see what I could come up with.

The most important question: Who did they get to play Snake Plissken? The answer would be Gerard Butler. Yes, that's right, Leonidas from the movie 300.

Here is a link I found where someone has gotten their mits on a early script for the new Escape.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2800&Itemid=99

Last edited:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
If I was dead, I'd be spinning in my grave.

There's nothing wrong with the original, so why remake it?
And who are they going to find that'd do better than Carpenter and Russel? No-one, that's who.

Wouldn't they do better to plonk their money into the originally-planned third 'Escape'. I believe it was 'Escape from Earth'. Rather than CGI-ing a remake of a classic.

I mean, really, where will it end? Casablanca? (undoubtely starring Josh Hartnett and Mira whats-her-name).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*sigh* I have a major lust for Gerard, but--Why Mess With What's Near-Perfect?!

Like yet another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Meh.

[whispers] Altho the trailer looked good for Will Smith's remake of Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth--correctly called I Am Legend this time. I like the idea of vamps using rocket launchers...

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
[whispers] Altho the trailer looked good for Will Smith's remake of Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth--correctly called I Am Legend this time. I like the idea of vamps using rocket launchers...
Oh, now you've set me off!

I haven't seen The Last Man on Earth Nor The Omega Man. Both of which are based on the book I am Legend which is superb.
However, when I first heard of this Wicky-Wah-Wah remake, it was mentioned that as well as Mr Smith, the writer was the same person who wrote the script for I, Robot. And anyone who's read Asimov's book and seen what they did to that on film will share with me a sense of loathing for everyone involved in making I am Legend.

I'm dissapointed that the trailer's out, I was harbouring hopes that it had stalled in production.

I implore all sensible minded folk NOT to see the film, read the book instead.

[/rant]

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I urge you to see Omega Man--late at night and with a few beers. It's close to the level of "spectacularly bad." You could also make a drinking game out of every time Charlton Heston shows off his sweaty, hairy, flabby chest. (Ugh.)

The Last Man On Earth is a very good movie, though. You wouldn't be disappointed.

I didn't remember that Smith wrote the I, Robot script. That movie annoyed the heck out of me. And if he messes with I Am Legend in the same way...ugh.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't remember that Smith wrote the I, Robot script.
He didn't, but it's the same writer that did I, Robot doing this. Or so I heard when it was first announced.
That movie annoyed the heck out of me. And if he messes with I Am Legend in the same way...ugh.
Nail on the head.

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
This is just . . . grrrrrrrrr.

First Halloween and now this? Next they'll do Big Trouble in Little China with Shia Lebeauf.

Oh, and to Bmwhtly I second the recommendation of The last Man on Earth. Not a perfect film by any stretch, but pretty good.

And finally, I'll never understand why they did I Robot with that script when Harlan Ellison wrote one that Asimov himself approved of.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
First Halloween and now this?
They remade Halloween? You're Kidding!
Next they'll do Big Trouble in Little China with Shia Lebeauf.
Escape, Halloween, The Fogthat means...
Oh, dear God! Not The Thing! PLEASE NO

Oh, and to Bmwhtly I second the recommendation of The last Man on Earth. Not a perfect film by any stretch, but pretty good.
Good enough, I'll have a look for it.

And finally, I'll never understand why they did I Robot with that script when Harlan Ellison wrote one that Asimov himself approved of.
Well, why have an intelligent script that makes sense when you can you can have a gun-toting superstar battling CGI robots?

This conversation is angrying up my blood, I'm going for a walk.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I saw a trailer for the Halloween remake and had to bathe my eyes for 10 minutes straight afterwards.

Why, why, why?!

The Thing with Kurt Russell was already a remake--Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan (and an excellent supporting cast) made the original The Thing from Another World in the 50s. Okay, the Russell version actually followed the original story ("Who Goes There" by Campbell), but the 50s version, thanks largely to GREAT direction by Howard Hawks is a-number one.

And don't get me started on my all-time "I'm going out back to burn off all my hair" remake: Steve Martin's "Roxanne." :rant:

Just the thought makes me search for the box of matches. The DH took me to it when we were giddy and engaged. It's the only thing I throw back in his face after 20 years of marriage. His ongoing penance is to watch MST3Ks with me. :e2teeth:

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
First Halloween and now this? Next they'll do Big Trouble in Little China with Shia Lebeauf.

Oh gawd just the thought of that turns my stomach. Please not Big Trouble or The Thing... Shia Lebeauf.. It's going to be hard enough to swallow him being in the new Indiana Jones.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
I really loved the original Escape. Russle as snake was spot on. I am not too keen on his moives per se but i really liked this.

SO WHY all these remakes when there are many NEW scripts to choose from. Hopefully as good if not better than Escape. I know that there is excellet scriptwriting talent out there (Which I hope to become one of them) so why all this rehash rubbish coz i can't think of one good remake over the original. Maybe there is but i don't know of any off hand!

Kevvers

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I i can't think of one good remake over the original. Maybe there is but i don't know of any off hand!

Mel Brooks' remake of Bob Hope's To Be or Not To Be.

I'm not impartial, because I dislike both Hope and Paulette Goddard, but Brooks' treatment was moving, funny, intense...and somehow still funny.

But that's the only one I know of.

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
SO WHY all these remakes when there are many NEW scripts to choose from. Hopefully as good if not better than Escape. I know that there is excellet scriptwriting talent out there (Which I hope to become one of them) so why all this rehash rubbish coz i can't think of one good remake over the original. Maybe there is but i don't know of any off hand!

I am right there with you, also the aspiring screen writer. It's mind boggling to me how there are all kinds of scripts granted, probably 80-85% of them are trash but there certainly has to be something new out there that can be made. Even if the premise is the same as other movies it would still be something different enough to merrit being titled a new movie.

I was trying to think of a remake and can't really think of one off hand. Maybe Ocean's Eleven. I never saw the original with Dean Martin I think.. So have no basis for comparison. I know the newer Oceans 12 was total garbage but makes a astounding amount of cash.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
i can't think of one good remake over the original. Maybe there is but i don't know of any off hand!
Well, like someone said, The Thing was the second film based on the short story.

The only other one that springs to mind is The Maltese Falcon. A superb film (the one with Humphrey Bogart). But that was a remake.
There was one ten years earlier in '31.

Actually there was another one... but I can't think of it at the moment...

well, the 1990 version of Night of the living dead was quite good. But not as Important as the first one.

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
The only other one that springs to mind is The Maltese Falcon. A superb film (the one with Humphrey Bogart). But that was a remake.
There was one ten years earlier in '31.

Actually there was another one... but I can't think of it at the moment...

Satan Met a Lady, if you meant a third Maltese Falcon anyhow. And I think it was the second one, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Satan Met a Lady, if you meant a third Maltese Falcon anyhow. And I think it was the second one, now that I think about it.
No no. I meant the 1941 one with Bogart, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet. It was the second one.

Before I drag this thread back on topic, I'd like to point out that another John Carpenter film that was remade Assault on Precinct 13.

Anyway, Wikipedia has a section on the remake of Escape, sighting references on who's involved and Kurt Russel's reaction to Gerard Butler playing Snake (which seems to match ours, even if Carpenter's staying positive)

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, Wikipedia has a section on the remake of Escape, sighting references on who's involved and Kurt Russel's reaction to Gerard Butler playing Snake (which seems to match ours, even if Carpenter's staying positive)

That's great! Thanks for that info. It's really funny to see Kurt Russell even not liking the character.

Gerard Butler of all people... WHY?

Who would make a good Snake Plissken other than Kurt Russell?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they already do this? It was called Escape from LA.

Maybe this is bad karma catching up with him, after that Village of the Damned remake.

I am going to be playing Annie, Laurie's best friend, in the first officially endorsed Halloween fan remake. I'm excited for it. It won't be released, but they are going to put it online.

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
A remake that's Escaped from Notice so far -- Jackson's Lord of the Rings. First done cinematically by Ralph Bakshi in 1978 (although the story was not finished - Bakshi never made Part Two of Two). Then Arthur Rankin, Jr. finihsed Bakshi's work with The Return of the King,made for TV in 1980.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I consider that a remake, because I don't think it's based on the Ralph Bakshi movie. It's another adaptation of the same book, which is different.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I consider that a remake, because I don't think it's based on the Ralph Bakshi movie. It's another adaptation of the same book, which is different.
I'll disagree here.
We'd already discussed remakes of The Maltese Falcon, and I Am Legend. I consider both to be remakes because the same story is used as the basis, regardless of the original's medium.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This never fails to make me laugh:

Bob Hauk: There was an accident. About an hour ago, a small jet went down inside New York City. The President was on board.
Snake Plissken: The president of what?