Narrative non-fiction: No man's land?

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
I have a completed manuscript that is a narrative non-fiction account of a year abroad (Think A Year in Provence meets Catcher in the Rye)

I'm following all the rules and guidelines for non-fiction because that's what it is, but frankly it feels (and reads) much more like a novel.

From what I've read non-fiction seems easier to get published, but then when I start getting asked questions about my platform and such I feel like I've gone down wrong track.

I don't even know if I should be posting questions in the fiction or non-fiction side of this site.

Anyone else face this dilemma or have any advice?

Thanks.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a memoir, for which one does follow the rules for fiction rather than non-fiction when it comes to querying agents. I think platform for memoir is nice but less important than having a really compelling and unusual story to tell. Also, one completes a memoir before querying.

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's helpful.

It's a first-person, journal style narrative. I guess it is a memoir.

Perhaps the term "memoir" is throwing me off. It sounds so presumptuous. When I hear memoir I think it must be about some retired general, president or rock star.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Welcome to no man's land!

It does sound like a memoir. Not as in "writing your memoirs"--but the story of a particular set of experiences you had, rooted in a particular time and place. Sounds like a great book!

Memoir is a funny hybrid, when it comes to querying and submitting. People seem to have varied experiences. (You might want to look at the Life Story forum, where a lot of this is discussed.)

For me, it seemed to be treated like nonfiction during the agent query stage (ie, proposal rather than partial requests, book not yet finished when I started querying.) But now, with my agent submitting to publishers, when it gets to the final stage they seem to want the full ms.

And yes--the platform thing is a big deal, unfortunately. Memoir is an uphill climb!
Susan

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Thanks, that's helpful.

It's a first-person, journal style narrative. I guess it is a memoir.

Perhaps the term "memoir" is throwing me off. It sounds so presumptuous. When I hear memoir I think it must be about some retired general, president or rock star.

Yes, that's the unfortunate association with memoir. But (as I read somewhere) it's simply a personal account of something you experienced. Whether it's a year in France as an awkward adolescent male or a year working your way through Julia Child's cookbook. (A recent memoir that did well.) Or the midlife discovery of an oddball regional music (my memoir :)

I loved your site BTW. Both my sons did the same thing, though for shorter stretches. And my book relates to a French-speaking US regional culture.

So drop by the Life Story forum...

Susan

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
... the story of a particular set of experiences you had, rooted in a particular time and place.

When you think about it that way the label memoir makes much more sense. I will check out that part of the forum. Thx

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for asking this question! I'm not there yet, but will be soon. I'll be having the exact same questions!

That sounds like a neat adventure BTW.

I just met a guy and his wife last month who are walking across America with their mule. They walked through our town and caused quite a stir. I enjoyed talking to them.

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
J S Cutler . . . how come your blog doesn't allow comments? If you're not going to encourage people to comment, you might as well write things on a regular website.

Oops, I thought I had. It's fixed now, thanks.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
isn't anyone from NH?! eesh. all these people from MA.

:)

you wrote your mss is complete--have you started to query yet?

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
you wrote your mss is complete--have you started to query yet?

Yes, but now I wish I had waited. Thanks to a lot of the feedback I've gotten here, I feel I have a much better handle on things now than when I sent out my original query.

Chalk one up to uninformed exuberance

Last edited:

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Just in case you didnt know, there is a forum here called Life Story Writing that would love to hear from you guys. They might even be able to help answer some of your questions. When I did write, I wrote peronal narratives or memoirs too. (I never know what to call it) but its been a long time since Ive written.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Yer pal Brian :Thumbs:

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Memoir/narrative nonfiction DOES require a strong marketing platform in order to sell. It also requires that you have told a compelling narrative in a compelling way using well-crafted prose, like quality fiction.

As far as querying agents (who will then query publishers) goes, you should have a book proposal and three sample chapters available to market your book. Most memoirists have their manuscripts completed and polished before querying agents/publishers, but it is possible to sell a memoir based on a proposal/sample chapters alone. (That's how my memoir sold.)

I suggest you spend some time researching/building your marketing platform and also polishing a solid book proposal. Good luck.