Could use a few ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
Since everyone here has given me such great advice and ideas in the past, I have a scenario for you from my WIP:

The protagonist is a 15-yr-old boy named Tyson. He has two adult half-brothers who tend to look out for him, since their mom (whom he lives with) isn't very good at being a mom. She loves them all, but has substance abuse issues; none of her three children were planned.

Within the first chapter, Ty has an opportunity to sleep with a girl who is trying to convince him that she can't get pregnant because her period just ended two days ago, but he declines because he's not sure she's right. He later reveals to his brother that he actually did have a condom with him, but that it kind of freaked him out that he's only known her for three weeks and she wants to sleep with him. This is all to give the reader some indication of how carefully Ty makes the decisions in his life based on all the mistakes he's seen his mother make.

So, what I'm looking for is a realistic comment for him to make about his previous girlfriend, as a comparison to this girl. Here is the sentence I'm working with:

"[FONT=&quot]It had taken X weeks of dating for Ellen Paxton to be okay with me doing Y, so it kind of freaked me out that Jenna was so gung-ho to jump in the sack."

I'm looking for something realistic to insert in X and Y that won't sound like we're in the 50's, but that isn't crude (any time period for X is fine - days, weeks, months). Though he's being careful about not messing up his life, Ty isn't innocent, and is not necessarily a virgin.

Thanks for any input!

Liz

[/FONT]

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It had taken five dates for Ellen Paxton to be okay with petting, so it kind of freaks me out that Jenna was so gung-ho to jump in the sack.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I'd stick with the 3 week time period: "It took 3 weeks for Ellen Paxton to let me French her." (French kiss) And maybe that was when he was 13 or 14... Maybe his previous relationship lasted awhile and he's just not used to girls being gung-ho for that reason.

Not sure what you mean by being crude, but did you think of oral sex? Seems all the kids are doing it these days and it's possible it took his first girlfriend three weeks to even think of doing that...It's pretty reasonable at that age for girls to think the guy's going to pee in her mouth. Ok. sorry. that's definitely crude.

Zoombie posted while I was typing...I like his idea better.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
4 weeks is just the right amount of time to let a guy touch the girls. And by the girls I mean breasts. So Zoombie's sentence is spot-on.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
It's amusing that you're so pleased with yourself. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
;)

Well, I'd rather have a single amazing relationship than a thousand bad ones. Or that's what I keep saying to myself...

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, good, these suggestions are exactly along the lines I was thinking, but I didn't want to sound way off the mark.

Erinmiller77 - As far as crude, I was speaking more about how he worded what had happened rather than what had actually happened. Later on in the story Ty is having an argument with his previously-estranged father about how naive Ty's 12-yr-old half-sister is, and Ty comments that she doesn't even know what a blow job is.

That's interesting what you said, though, about girls that age thinking the guy will pee in her mouth. I actually remember sitting outside before school in 7th grade one morning when one of my friends started recounting a movie she'd come across (back when cable was the new thing, lol) where the guy was performing oral sex on the woman. Everyone was laughing and kind of disgusted, and the girl said, "I mean, what if she had to pee or something?" I totally forgot that until now! Man, we were so innocent back then...;)

I know things are a lot different now, though, so the choices I was debating between were:
- French kissing
- sliding a hand up her shirt
- a hand job

Thanks again, you all are awesome!

Liz

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, one of the first questions in my sex ed class was from a girl and it was: "What if the man pees inside me?"

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
That is kind of a good question, though....

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
It's one I always wondered about, until the slightly more in-depth version of health class in 8th grade. >>;

Liz, a hand job is probably a no-no.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
At 15 a handjob really wouldn't be very unusual, these days.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on the person and place. I live in the suburbs, a small town, and I had friends who had sex in 6th grade. I don't think she did it again til like 8th grade, though. I know of someone who would give "favors" to boys afterschool in like 7th grade. And she wasn't dating any of them.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think that the MC's last girlfriend would be a little more conservative, if he's so freaked out that his current one wants to get it on.

But you're right, a lot of these decisions are made depending on the person and the place.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely agree that in this instance it would work fine. A really careful person would be a lot more cautious about things like that. Going by number of dates is probably the best idea.

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
I'd think that the MC's last girlfriend would be a little more conservative, if he's so freaked out that his current one wants to get it on.

That's what I was thinking, since he tends to be more attracted to girls who aren't too much like his mother (i.e. more conservative). At the same time, I'm trying to gauge what falls under "mostly conservative" these days. My sister lives in the small town we grew up in, and recently told me that her sister-in-law's son had friends who were engaging in oral sex at 13 and 14 years old. One of them was caught with the local dentist's niece (by the dentist himself, in his own attic) when nobody was supposed to be home and she was supposed to be at a friend's house.

My character lives in populated area on the outskirts of a city, so he's been exposed to a lot (not to mention the fact that his brothers had a big influence on the things he was exposed to; as mid-to-late teens when he was young, they weren't as discriminating as a parent would be with respect to what they said and did around him).

I'll probably go with the hand-up-the-shirt maneuver.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
2nd or 3rd base isn't that unusual.

I was much more experimental in middle school than in high school. (During the 80s)

Actually I did a complete 180 in high school, and became a "Daria" who thought that teen boys were "Like, Sooo Immature!"

I was bummed to find out that they were immature in college too. (most of them anyway)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:wonders if she should warn them that boys DON't get any more mature:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
It is physiologically impossible for a man to urinate inside of a woman during sex. The tubing gets changed around by the erection!

What if he tried reeeaaaalllll hard?

I feel like it could happen....and it would be gross.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
What if he tried reeeaaaalllll hard?

I feel like it could happen....and it would be gross.

Nope, not a chance.
Besides, why would he try?

Don't answer that!
NM... this thread is getting too explicit for me... gonna go watch Barney now.

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
I'd assume the half brothers would know his previous girlfriend, so I don't see any reason for Tyson to use her last name.

Sorry for the confusion; the sentence I put in quotes in my OP is not a quote in the story. It's not something Ty says out loud. These are the two paragraphs (with the completed sentence from my OP), to give a bit more context:

It was so quiet for the next few minutes that I started thinking Cray had fallen asleep, so I actually jumped when his voice cut through the darkness. “Do I need to lay here all night wondering what you would have done if you’d had a rubber on you?”

I bit my top lip and let it slide back out from under my teeth. “She’s okay, but not my type. You know? Plus, I mean, we just met and all.” It had taken three weeks of dating for Ellen Paxton to be okay with me sliding my hand up the front of her shirt, so it kind of freaked me out that Jenna was so gung-ho to jump in the sack. I tossed Cray’s pillow back up onto the bed. “Anyway, I did have one with me.”

Status
Not open for further replies.