Writing Down The Bones

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Writing Down The Bones came up in another thread a few weeks ago so I got hold of a copy. I'm halfway through it and wondering whether I should bother with the rest of it. It's painfully arty farty, so far offers no practical advice or thoughts and the author seems to think all writers must write in coffee shops.

Does it improve?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Writing Down The Bones came up in another thread a few weeks ago so I got hold of a copy. I'm halfway through it and wondering whether I should bother with the rest of it. It's painfully arty farty, so far offers no practical advice or thoughts and the author seems to think all writers must write in coffee shops.

Does it improve?

I hated it. Couldn't finish it, so I don't know if it improves.:)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm tempted to give up on it. Reading it is like hearing someone tell me it's OK to write. Sorry, but I don't need permission to write and I don't need all the cute encouragement the author gives.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Whatever good the book has to say can be expressed in one sentence. Otherwise it's full of pseudo-spiritual psychobabble, distorted wannabe-Zen soundbites, and new-age cliches.
It seems to have hit a nerve with a lot of people as it is certainly one of the most successful writing books out there, but if you have any inkling of genuine Eastern spirituality (on which it seems to be based) you can recognize the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. There's no real depth to it, no substance. Bah humbug.
I read it (or tried to) a long time ago but I can still remember the bad taste it left in my mouth. The person who lent it to me, however, was bursting with enthusiasm.

Reaction score
Seun, it's a load of old pants. You'd be better off chewing your own toenails.

Reaction score
As I've said before, I like how-to books to tell me...well, how. Grammar. Punctuation. Spelling. Tense. POV. Characterisation. There was none of that in WDtB. It was just cheerleading. "Hey! Yeah! You can do it! Go for it! Yeah!"

So I can do it, huh? Tell me how. That's what I want to know. That would be more helpful.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Seun, it's a load of old pants. You'd be better off chewing your own toenails.

Mmm...tasty...the toenails that is, not the old pants.

I'll give it another go later. If it doesn't buck its ideas up in the next 20 pages, I'll take it back to work and inflict on the general public.

Reaction score
I'd love to work in a library. First dibs on books...mind you, I'd never get any work done. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm a sucker for arty farty. I love Natalie Goldberg. I have heard all the negative stuff in the past, but I love her.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That book annoyed me the same way Deepak Choprah or whatever his name is does. Cashing in on a trend.

You're close. It's actually Deepshit Pockets.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
One of the few writing books I didn't finish. Hated it. Completely and totally hated it. I only read the first couple chapters and it made my eyes bleed.

It wasn't practical advice and the author came across as snobby. If you followed the books advice, you'd sit around doing exercises 24/7 and never do any actual writing.

I prefer books like On Writing, where the author says, this is how I do it, it works for me. Do what works for you, but here's some advice that usually works across the board. Flexible and practical.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For me, it came at the right time in my life. I had just discarded my art and felt that I wasn't worthy of writing. I thought writers were these chosen people...that they had to be backed by something. I had not given myself permission to be one...and I was reading every single book in the library, trying to get enjoyment out of reading so I wouldn't pick up a pen and start writing...how dare I! Then I read her book and thought, "why can't I be a writer?" Things come into your life when you need them. They could be good. They could be bad. They could be indifferent. One person can look at a dead butterfly and cry, another can look at it and think, "Wow, I could make a real cool piece of jewelry with that!"

I picked up WRITING DOWN THE BONES and I made jewelry.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
A much better arty farty book is The Artists Way by Julia Cameron. If you're looking for arty farty, which you're not.

And if you're looking for the Easy Button, it's at Staples. Pen and paper.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
A much better arty farty book is The Artists Way by Julia Cameron. If you're looking for arty farty, which you're not.

And if you're looking for the Easy Button, it's at Staples. Pen and paper.

Yes, I agree. There is something to say about developing the artist's attitude to writing, since that is basic to what comes out, but I just think that Goldberg's book is shallow.

The mother of all these "flow of consciousness" books is Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer. It;s the first writing book I ever read, even before I knew I wanted to, needed to, write a novel. Because she doesn't just offer words of sweet encouragement, she actually gives practical advice on how to develop the right attitude so that your novel can come out the way it's meant to. She is the first person, I believe, who gave out the tip of writing "morning pages", and she has a wealth of other really practical advice.

Soon after I finished her book I started to write, and never stopped.

Reaction score
I've read Becoming a Writer too. Twice. Not so keen on it. I prefer how-to books with specifics. But then again, reading too many how-to books isn't going to get my own written. There comes a point where I have to put those aside and get on with my own.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Gee, I'm in the minority then because I absolutely loved it. I knew before I picked it up that it wasn't a how-to book and that's exactly why I picked it up. I wanted to hear from a writer who'd gone through the ups and downs and come out okay. I guess, like KTC, it came to me at the right time in my life, when I was broke, desperate, disillusioned and just about ready to throw it all away.

I've recommended it often and am surprised to hear so many negative reactions to it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've read Becoming a Writer too. Twice. Not so keen on it. I prefer how-to books with specifics. But then again, reading too many how-to books isn't going to get my own written. There comes a point where I have to put those aside and get on with my own.

Becoming a Writer is useful in only two specific cases:

a: the writer who has not even started yet, who as the inkling that they'd like to write, but lacks the confidence.

(This was me all over. Every word she said was a like a lightning bolt going through me; I knew my calling then, so to speak.)

b: the writer who is stuck. Who can't seem to move on. Where the words won't flow.

Where do stories come from? How do we find them? How do we get started? How do we get into the flow of writing? Those are the questions Brande answers. If you do not have a problem in those areas the book is not for you. She says quite plainly that the exercizes she gives are antecedent to the actual act of writing; she says quite plainly that once you have fixed those problems you should go out and read every book on the technique of writing you can find.

So her book is not about technique at all, and anyone looking for technique in it is bound to be disappointed. But most of all, you have to write.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I gave up on Bones last night. I got to the chapter about writing being like baking a cake and couldn't go on. It was just too twee.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I hated both Writing Down the Bones and The Artists Way. I was looking for books on the creative process (I have enough technique books already), but these were just so airy-fairy that I thought they could fly. They did for a few seconds when I threw them across the room.

The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp is my go-to book when I need a kick in the creative butt.

Last edited:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Well, I can see no one on this thread is a fan of the book.

That's too bad - I think Natalie Goldberg's basic message helped me to be a more concise writer, a more expansive editor and more disciplined with words. If you have difficulty with the tone (I see the perjorative "artsy-fartsy" and "airy-fairy" and "twee" here) maybe you should scratch around and see why you think this type of writing is obscure or valueless.

For literary fiction writers, I think this book has some valuable advice. But it was also valuable for a gritty genre writer like me. I still read parts of it, and have discovered it to be a tremendous help to many fledgling mystery writers of my acquaintance.

I wouldn't throw down Gerald So because the language is too raw; I don't throw down Natalie Goldberg because the language is outside my usual comfort zone, either.

Reaction score
...maybe you should scratch around and see why you think this type of writing is obscure or valueless...I don't throw down Natalie Goldberg because the language is outside my usual comfort zone, either...

I don't need to scratch around to see why I think this book is valueless. I already know - there was no practical, how-to advice in it. It was all up in the air. And her language certainly is not outwith my comfort zone - her lack of substance is.