The Writer's Market, The Litery Guide To Agents, Jeff Herman...what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
OK so I'm thinking that by the time Christmas rolls around, I want one of the 2008 resource books like what is mentioned. But I find it a little confusing.

Which is better, The Writer's Market or Jeff Herman's Guide to [SIZE=-1]Publishers, Editors and Literary Agents? They both cost about the same, do they have the same stuff basically or why is one better than the other?

What about The Guide To Literary Agents, is it a stand alone or do you need The Writer's Market too?

What do you need? What would be best suited to the romance author? lol.

Thanks for any help! <3
[/SIZE]

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Best suited to the ROMANCE author is a membership in RWA, because then--you have the resources of the RWA National website at your fingertips, which includes a monthly updated list of agents by specific romance subgenre, a list of guidelines for romance publishers (which will now be expanded due to the elimination of the "recognized publisher" status) and the availability of the BookScan bestselling romance list and the whole of the membership to ask questions of. :)

However, of these two, I'd recommend the online version of Writer's Market. I prefer the web version because, again, it's updated more often. By the time the print version hits the shelf, it can be months out of date. The online version is also searchable, which is handy.

Just my .02, though. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If you want current information, use the internet. All that info is usually 6-9 months out of date before it's even gone to print. At least that's what one of the agent blogs said.

Read Donkey 2. It's kind of snotty, but accurate.

I think those books were useful 35 years ago when I first started subbing as a teen because there wasn't anything else to go by, but these days with immediate access to info on an agent's website, I think it's just a waste of money.

If you insist on using one, go to the library.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that online Writer's Market is much, much better than the written one. Mine are sitting on my shelf and mouldering.

I bought Jeff Herman's book but I didn't find it all that interesting. Mostly run-downs of what only a few agents like in a client, etc. Unless you're hard-core on one agent, it won't do you much good if you're shopping around.

I personally like Publishers Weekly (which is expensive as all heck) and I like Romantic Times (because I am a romance writer). Locus if they write SFF.

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
You know I didn't know that the writers market was online too. And looking at it, you can subscribe monthly so I might, when I'm closer to that point, subscribe for a month or two to get my feet wet. Thanks for the info, especially that there is a romance book review magazine hah, I didn't know that. I've never seen it on the newstands around here.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Romantic Times is HUGE! It's been around for 25 years now, and is pretty much the leading authority on all things romance. Here's a link to get you started to see if it might interest you. Then you just have to tell your bookseller that you want them to order it every month. :)

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
No wonder I've never heard of it before, it's not sold within 100 miles of where I live lol. You have to go west of my state to find a place that carries it.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
No wonder I've never heard of it before, it's not sold within 100 miles of where I live lol. You have to go west of my state to find a place that carries it.

I have the same problem. Nearest bookstore is 77 miles. But you can subscribe, too--which is what I do. They'll mail it right to your house. I pay extra to have it sent first class, but then I have reviews in there every few months, so I want to see what they say before it hits the shelf in the stores. :)

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Jeff Herman's Guide in 2006, but in 2007, it seemed to be lacking several important agents in my genre (who were accepting submissions). Yeah, with any book, you need to check to make sure the info is still current (as one of the agents I've submitted to has changed agencies twice since she was listed in the 2006 edition).

AgentQuery.com is also good.

And I'd check any potential agent against Bewares & Background Checks here or Preditors & Editors.

Status
Not open for further replies.