PDA

View Full Version : And or With?

Lavinia
08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I am almost ready to send my manuscript to an agent and I have a technical question.

On the title page, where the author is sited, what is the difference between "and" and "with"?

My name
and
Other's name

My name
with
Other's name

I want to include my father as the "other's name" because technically he wrote a good portion of the book. The book has 2-3 letters he wrote during the war in each chapter. So I'm thinking that would be a "with." But I don't know. I've researched it but can't find a definitive answer.

Any advice?

Karen

KTC
08-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I would say with

askeladd
08-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I would concur with KTC; to me, "with" connotes something other than a 50-50 joint effort.

Lavinia
08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
That's the way I was leaning so it's a good confirmation.

Thanks,

Karen

CatSlave
08-19-2007, 01:52 AM
When I see Primary Author Name "with" Secondary Author Name, I assume the Primary Author verbally told the story to the Secondary Author, and the Secondary Author did the actual writing.

In other words, it's a ghostwritten story.

Memoirista
08-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Three elements make it clear how "with" is to be read: as a star who makes cameo appearances in a movie is listed. The elements that make the case:

"A Daughter's Story"
Karen Fisher-Alaniz as author, with --- Fisher
The Back Cover/Back Matter/AcknowledgementsI don't think anyone who examines the book, or hears about it, will think that it was ghostwritten.

Memoirista
08-20-2007, 03:10 AM
To be very very clear, I suppose you could say

By Karen Alaniz-Fisher
With additional material by ? Fisher

That clarifies credits for all sorts of concerns; a future book (did she really write her first book), a library cataloger (who is the real author), a publicist who books author tours (do we want Karen or dad), and similar people who don't have the book jacket or book reviews in front of them.

Lauri B
08-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Author X with Y usually implies that Y wrote the book that Author X told him or her. If your dad wrote some of it, why not give him co-author credit? If he told you his story, it should read, By Dad with Daughter.

Lavinia
08-20-2007, 03:56 AM
Well- now I'm more confused than ever. Maybe I'll stick to "and"...then there's no confusion. And he did write a good portion of the book, though he says he didn't. Oh boy...I'll have to think about this some more!

Karen