"The End"...hooray!

TheKnightWhoSaidNi

The taller one in the avatar
Registered
Reaction score
So, two years and three months ago, at the end of freshman year, I started this little trilogy you see in my sig (yeah yeah, not the best way to start, I know). Two days ago I wrote "The End" at the bottom of the third book. 15 people have at least picked up the first book, and 5 have finished it, each with positive things to say. Three more are still reading it, and I'm waiting to hear from the others. Only one gave up on it.

Next: Go back to book one. Polish it. Make it shine. Expand it. Some of that writing hasn't been touched in over a year, and it's stale. I'll alter the ending slightly to make it stand on its own better by giving two of the story threads more closure. It's really difficult to sell a trilogy by an unkown author, so I want to make sure that the first book can be sold without the sequels being a factor.

I've learned a lot (and grown a lot) since starting, I think, so it's time to really pour everything I have into it. I truly think this could go somewhere, but I'll be working on other things in the meantime. It's my first book, after all, and I'm not naive.

Last edited:

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. When do you find the time to write, fellow Monty Pythonite?

Congrats on finishing your trilogy. Best O' Luck to ye!

TheKnightWhoSaidNi

The taller one in the avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. When do you find the time to write, fellow Monty Pythonite?

Congrats on finishing your trilogy. Best O' Luck to ye!

During the school year, Sunday evenings seemed to be the time where I got the most work done. Occasionally on weeknights, but usually I was too busy to do much more than a couple hundred words.

Summer has been a tremendous help, since there's no school and therefore no real obligations except part-time work at a convenience store. So, I spent upwards of four hours writing in the afternoons on many occasions, for all of the books (summers of '05 for first, '06 for second, and '07 for third, respectively). My record is about 6,000 words in one afternoon. That drained me, but it was much fun. This past Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I wrote something like 12,000 words to finish the last book, since there was virtually nothing else for me to do. Off of work all three days, school starts this coming Monday, so I was like "I'm getting it done." And so I got it done!

Perseverance, that's how I found time to write while juggling school and a social life of some kind (usually the same thing). Now, I shall see if I can find equal perseverance towards contacting agents!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! And it looks like you have a great plan of action.

Just watch out for white rabbits....

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome! I've been working on a MS since I was seventeen and STILL haven't finished it.