PDA

View Full Version : Are You Creatively Fickle?

C.bronco
08-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I go through phases. E.g. for a while I'll only write poetry, then I go on a home improvement bender, then I write a novel, then I do more home improvement, then I start painting again, then I start cooking a lot. Before the year is done, I'm going back to work on my sequel.

Does anyone else have issues with media other than writing?

davids
08-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Scotch-writing-scotch-writing-scotch writing-falling down-writing-Burty licks my nose-scotch-burty poops on the deck-writing-falling down-get the picture? HIC!

Soccer Mom
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Nascar, football, and soccer all take me away from writing and it's clearly Dawno's fault. Her sparkly ears have hypnotised me.

MonaLeigh
08-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I tend to go back and forth between novels and screenplays. (and not finishing either:e2bummed: ) A few weeks ago I decided to finish my novel and I wouldn't let myself read any screenwriting magazines or get too into movies. (this is how I end up switching back and forth. I have a short attention span). THEN, I decided my novel would be better as a screenplay, so now I'm avoiding novely things. It's tiring.

Danger Jane
08-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Painting, violin, writing. That's my creative side.

Lyra Jean
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Quilting and sewing. I'm currently working on a Double Wedding Ring quilt. It's queen size and has over 3,000 peices. I'm tired of cutting. It's good to do while watching TV.

AnnieColleen
08-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Cross-stitch for me (struggling to finish a big one right now).

Oh, and following SoccerMom's trend - NBA basketball and high school football/band shows.

JoNightshade
08-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Sewing, car repair, photo stuff, various little craft projects.

Wouldn't say that it takes away from my writing, but I do other stuff too. I used to draw a lot but I'm too impatient. Word-pictures are so much easier than pencil-and-paper pictures. :)

StoryG27
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I can't even draw a decent stick figure.

The only other creative talent I have comes in the form of music.

reigningcatsndogs
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Yard work, home schooling, yard work, cross stitch, yard work..... I have 5 acres of yard!!

BenPanced
08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
TV.

What? It takes a lot of work throwing the remote at the stoopid people on TV and walking across the room to pick it up again!

sunna
08-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Designing & making clothes, drawing, playing guitar (badly, but whatever, we're in the middle of nowhere), sculpting, cooking, painting (also badly),and, well, pretty much whatever the hell else suddenly takes my fancy.

Dawno's sparkly ears are part of my meditation routine.

kristie911
08-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Photography. But it rarely pulls me away from my writing. It's just something I do to unwind.

davids
08-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I do write in a Dill-ish fashion at times!

KTC
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I always say I am first and foremost an artist. I will put writer/poet as secondary creative niche...but at the same time I've been doing a lot of writing and poet(ing) the last few years and absolutely no art(ing). (-;

I dig working out in the kitchen too...particularly exploring my favorite foods: East Indian and Thai.

KTC
08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
I do write in a Dill-ish fashion at times!

Dillish as in Dill as in Charles Baker Harris as in Truman Capote???? Do you write it like Capote?

Stew21
08-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Cooking and photography are where I outlet creativity when I'm not writing.

And storytelling with my kids. We make them up together. I don't write them down, once they're told, they're gone, but we have a fabulous time telling them.

dahmnait
08-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Work - yes it really is creative. Just think of the bookkeeping I have to do. ;)
Spending time with my honey, and if I have to spell out how that is creative, well, then you are not old enough to know.

And of course it all relates to Dawno's ears. My man has a 'sparkly ear' fetish.

davids
08-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I was just repped by a lovely lady who asked me how my post related to Dawno's ears-BTHOOM eggcept for the fact that staring upon her most lovely visage I feel all quiverated when glimpsing her ears!!!!

There-will that do dear lady?

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Scotch-writing-scotch-writing-scotch writing-falling down-writing-Burty licks my nose-scotch-burty poops on the deck-writing-falling down-get the picture? HIC!

You're really Mr. Hemingway back from the dead aren't you? :D

I'm with you there Storygirl. I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler and help. For me my guitar/s distract me alot.

But since David's has all that scotch he may need some help umm... storing it. Yeah, storing it...

davids
08-18-2007, 03:29 AM
Come on over the damned bar's open and I do not bite-well a bit and just hard enough for it to be fun!!!!

akiwiguy
08-18-2007, 03:36 AM
Within writing I'm becoming creatively fickle. Often spending time playing with stuff that is a bit experimental, blurring the lines between prose and poetry, having fun really. It's been a welcome diversion at a time when I was not really enjoying my own writing, and it's helping me break out of a linear way of thinking that I had to write a certain way or with specific outcomes in mind.

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 03:39 AM
Come on over the damned bar's open and I do not bite-well a bit and just hard enough for it to be fun!!!!

Be right there. :D * grabs his rock glass and heads for the door*

davids
08-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Be right there. :D * grabs his rock glass and heads for the door*

What the hells keepin ya? We wont need any damned glasses after a few hooters!!!!

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 03:43 AM
:hooray: :ROFL:

davids
08-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Hope you can ride a damned Harley-I got two and before we settle down to some real drinkin we will have to go out and shoot a couple of mules then tie em up and toss the caber with em!

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Been awhile. See last time I rode was my buddy's 1200 police special. All the way from Nashville to Ft Campbell in 40 degree weather with just street clothes and a jeans jacket. That was a long cold ride.

He'd left for emergency leave and the guy who offered to haul it back couldn't fit in in his truck with the camper on. So.....

KTC
08-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Harley? Is that the name of your redneck neighbour? You ride your neighbours?

davids
08-18-2007, 03:57 AM
Hell of a lot better,n rahdin your silly ass! He is rather good lay I must admit-now on with the motley as Canio would say-A.M. it is just like rahdin yer damn first bike yah don't never forget-we'll just have a few-jump on and the most important thing is the mule killin' you do not have to hit em direct kill shot-just cripple em a bit then break their damned fool necks and use em like I said tie em up and us em ass cabers-it beats the hell out of them damned meyedgits!

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Hell of a lot better,n rahdin your silly ass! He is rather good lay I must admit-now on with the motley as Canio would say-A.M. it is just like rahdin yer damn first bike yah don't never forget-we'll just have a few-jump on and the most important thing is the mule killin' you do not have to hit em direct kill shot-just cripple em a bit then break their damned fool necks and use em like I said tie em up and us em ass cabers-it beats the hell out of them damned meyedgits!

Works for me.

JoNightshade
08-18-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm with you there Storygirl. I couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler and help. For me my guitar/s distract me alot.

Well, there's your problem right there. Why the heck you tryin' to draw straight lines?

A.M. Wildman
08-18-2007, 04:00 AM
Well, there's your problem right there. Why the heck you tryin' to draw straight lines?

I'm not trying anymore. :D

davids
08-18-2007, 04:02 AM
How can you draw a straight line when you are a damned Harley rider shootin mules to tie em up and use em fer cabers-c'mon now let's get sereyeous

C.bronco
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you to all of the participants! It's good to hear about your other creative ventures. I think about Gwendolyn Brooks' lines "I shall create, If not a note a hole" from "Boy Breaking Glass," even if I didn't get the quote exactly right.
It seems we're all up to something, and Dawno's ears are partially responsible.
Good show, pals!

Jacob
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Most things I do creatively are very hurried almost like a quick burst of energy. My shelf is full of paintings half finished a bunch of journals and writings with like 2 entries in each of them, my poems are usually only about half a paragraph long. I get excited about things in my mind to the point where its just weird and its all I can think about then Ill start on a project and just completly lose interest. So yeah I would say Im pretty fickle:),

Oberon
08-23-2007, 12:54 AM
This damn forum, that's what!