Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been getting rejections or any communication at all from agents recently?

This has been two very quiet weeks, completely unlike the rest of the summer. I do know handful of editor-type-people who are on vacation right now, so I'm wondering if the industry is basically on leave until the end of the month or what ...

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I got two rejections this week, both to queries I also sent out this week. All the others are keeping me waiting as well. All in all, a slow week.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
August is notoriously slow in NY, they say. Everyone in the publishing industry, plus all the shrinks, they all leave town :)

On the other hand, it was last August when I got an offer from my agent. Of course, the process had started a little earlier, I'd been making some minor changes that were requested. But she was obviously working--and in NYC, no less.

So now, a year later, I am still waiting--to hear from a publisher who is supposed to decide at the beginning of September. It never ends!

Good Luck!

Susan

Last edited:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I got 2 rejections this week also, so someone is working somewhere. I'm still waiting on several others that have been out for a month though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
To quote the late Ed Abbey, novelist and crotchety environmentalist, who liked to live out in the desert near Moab, Utah:

"New Yorkers like to boast that if you can survive in New York City, you can survive anywhere. But if you can survive anywhere, why live in New York City?"

caw

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
In this month I've gotten 3 rejections and one partial request....so people must be around. But it does seem slower.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yep, my agent just got back from a two-week vacation. Don't know about the other agents, but mine seems to fit that rumor template.

And talk about strange days to offer a contract from an agent--I got mine on Christmas day of 2006. I've always wondered if it was deliberate. It was my most precious gift, from my eyes anyway.

Tri

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on quite a few queries, too. Got one auto-response saying an agent was gone until the 21st. I doubt she's the only one.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The request for a full I just got came with an apology for the lateness-- she just got back from vacation. And yep, she's in NY.

Hmm, if everyone's leaving NY, does that mean I could get some cheap plane tickets?

::Jo trundles off to look at airfare::

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
So I've gotten 6 rejects and one request for a partial. The partial is on exclusive, so I'm not wanting anyone else to get back to me at this very moment, but I find it kind of curious that I still have eight queries out that've gotten no reply.

Well, August is almost over...

Status
Not open for further replies.