Are we having fun yet...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I write every weekday from 6:45 am to 7:45 am. At 6:45 every day, I hate writing. I've got nothing to write. I'm empty. By 7:45, I love writing. I'm on a roll. I don't want to quit.

Is writing fun? Depends what time it is.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Oh, fun for sure. I don't usually dwell on what I'm gonna write. I open up my WIP and the words flow. I giggle to myself & "swoon" at my heros. I'd love to be published but if not, I'll keep doing it for my daughter reactions to every chapter she hounds me to write.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Good question!

You know, when I start out with BIC...I sometimes dread it...it really seems like a chore. It's like the moment before the gun goes off for a race. I think to myself...why do I subject myself to this crap.

But man-oh-man when I get going. I love it. I have so much fun finding out what happens to my characters, what they do next. With my current WIP especially, I find I'm so interested in their actions and reactions that I hate that I have to stop. I'm not saying that I might be able to write all day, but if given the chance, I very well might. There are days when I think I could get in 10k with no problem. My mind just blanks out everything around me (environment is the key here, I write in my car mostly), and the story just flows.

I think it's revision that I most dread. I've written one novel and I'm about a quarter into a second. The first is scheduled for revisions later this month and I just know that this step WILL feel like a chore.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, even my worst writing days are more fun than almost anything else.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
It's incredibly fun on the best days. When it's frustrating, I still come away feeling fulfilled...wouldn't exactly call it fun but still a good feeling.

Reaction score
I started because it was fun, and continue because...I can see the rewards on the horizon?

I agree with ClaudiaGray. The worst writing day is still better than doing anything else.

Well...almost anything else.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
It's fun when I'm not writing with marketing strategies and publication in mind.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Hell yeah, it's fun. I love it. I don't think I'd do it if I didn't. I certainly don't think I'd come home from a long day at the office and spend the next 5 hours pounding my fingers and the keyboard (and my social life) into mush, if I didn't love it.

I have plenty of other creative projects I get into, but none I get half as lost in, or enjoy half so much, as writing. Even when it's making me miserable while I try to unknot some plot problem or coax my characters into doing something, it's still one of the best things I got going.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm a slacker and a bum... No, the WORK itself is not fun but I understand it. But when I'm in a creative groove and when my story is shaping up nicely, yes, it's a lot of fun. And when my characters take me to some unexpected places and surprise me, it's A LOT of fun. There are other fun aspects (writers' conference, meeting people, talking shop, etc.).

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some parts are fun, some aren't. Sometimes it's work. Sometimes it's play.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Much of my writing involves sales. Sales is fun.

However, writing a story about, say, slipped capitol femoral epiphysis ,with a deadline looming is not fun.

Journal-writing lubricates the thought process and makes tea taste better.

AW writing helps--and hurts--digestion.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hm, personally I am not really motivated by "fun." To me, fun is Disneyland or a roller coaster or a movie... good now and then, but not really something I pursue in life. That sounds weird, but it's true. I get more out of finding something rewarding or worthwhile or meaningful, and writing is all of those for me. I also get a lot out of a challenge or doing something well... also writing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's not fun when you have a deadline and you're writing about a topic that total disinterests you. But I still do it...because of the commitments I make.

The creative writing I do is always fun...and I will always enjoy doing it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I love writing but it's not always fun. Sometimes it's damn hard work. There are moments of euphoria and moments of complete despair, but it's all worth it because I'm writing.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I should preface this comment by saying that I have never done any drugs, so there are those who may choose to argue with my interpretation.

But writing makes me high. After a good day of productive writing, I walk around in this pink colored fog and just grin at everything. I feel mellow, and floaty and... golly gosh gee, it's just super! ;)

I don't know if I would consider this "fun", per se, but it is VERY enjoyable.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
According to Merriam-Webster:

fun: providing entertainment, amusement, or enjoyment

For me, writing is part entertainment, part empowerment. I do it because I like it (or else nothing would keep my butt in that chair hour upon excruciating hour), and I do it because, after the pain of giving birth to words, I feel like I've done something worthwhile. Something that makes me worthwhile. If all that effort results in something that's bigger than myself, something other people can take and make their own (and this something came from my head and heart and entire being), I feel something akin to pride but closer to pure and unadulterated happiness.

It's like seeing your kid go off an find a cure for cancer. Or else, go off and fall in love and make someone very very happy. It's the gift that keeps on giving, it pays you back a hundredfold. The process of making it hurts, sure, and sometimes makes you want to throw in the towel, but in the end, the pain only makes the joy of having created something good more worth it.

Of course it's hard. Creation is always hard. Even God rested after creating the universe.

All we're doing is stringing a bunch of words together in new patterns of meaning. But that doesn't mean it can't also be sublime.

Fun? Sometimes. The process of writing is too complicated to be pinned down to just one word.

Status
Not open for further replies.