Night by Elie Wiesel

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
For those you who haven't heard of this, pick it up. Anyone who's been touched by The Diary of Anne Frank, or by Schindler's List, this book is cut from the same sad cloth.

Night by Elie Wiesel
(just a link to the book's website)

Last weekend, I was sick in bed and I had finished all the books I had been interested in reading. I asked my wife if she had read any good books. She said she had one in mind and brought this one to me.

I had seen it on our bookshelf before but thought nothing of it. I consider that a travesty that I didn't even pick it up before. I read through it in almost one sitting (or laying...in bed).

It's a true account of the author and his father surviving the concentration camps of Auschwitz, Birkenau, and others during the fall of the Third Reich. The story is as sobering as it is brilliantly translated and written. The transcript at the end of a speech the author gave when he won the Noble Peace Prize in 1986 should be required reading for anyone.

I could go on and on about how good this book is so I'll stop gushing now.

Has anyone else read this yet?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
It, along with Anne Frank should be required reading...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
That book is a must-read, but it is also downright traumatizing. Violence isn't the half of it. I cried while reading Night, and felt the need to talk about it afterwards. Consider yourselves warned, and go get the book :)

*shudder*

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
My sister gave me the book, but I haven't read it yet (mainly for fear that I won't stop crying. I have to be ready to cry with such books)