Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar or MS format question:
Do I underline all foreign words?
Example: my British character calls his house a maisonette, a common word in the UK, but a French word. Underline?
Because he's pretentious, he also sprinkles his speech with "mais oui" and other similar phases. Underline?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If it's actually foreign, then yes, underline it. "mais oui" -- yes. "croissant" -- no... it's become a common term in English such as cafe latte.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Underline? I thought such words were supposed to be in italics...
Today it's fine to just use italics, unless specifically instructed to do otherwise.

One of those minor points that writers tend to argue about endlessly, but are highly unlikely to make or break a sale...

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I assume this would also apply to a life story as a recent transplant to Mexico? Since more Spanish words than French are common in the US, where should I draw the line on italicizing/underlining?

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Melanie,

The general guideline, at least from my experience, is that it's entirely dependent on the commonality of the word (similar to the "maisonette" issue mentioned above). Some Spanish words have actually been appropriated into American English by now, and so wouldn't get any special treatment. But if it's something that's not likely to be widely understood by an American reader, it could be italicized with a clear conscience. Although there are regional differences, it's a reasonable starting point.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Yeah, I generally have to make sure I only write English-speaking characters. I used to know Spanish and French and one point, but it's been so long, now all I know is Franish. Or perhaps Sprench.

(As an aside, are you a Shawshank Redemption fan, by any chance? ;) )

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
(As an aside, are you a Shawshank Redemption fan, by any chance? ;) )

Of course! And anyone who makes that connection gets bonus points! So far you are only the third person to make the connection without my help, so be proud. ;)

As for the spanglish, I'm tempted to leave it out, but as I'm not fluent, the language barrier is a whole chapter, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.