How's this opening? YA 150 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roskoebaby

The New version is on POST 21. Check it!

I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to rethink the opening of my book and I was considering having a little paragraph or two from my MC to introduce the story. Does this work as a story opening?

BROKEN
Chapter 1
Meet Tate Fox
When my boyfriend told me that he had been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. But I couldn’t. Oh sure, I smiled a lot and pretended to squeal and celebrate with his family, but inside, my heart was breaking.

Mike Matthews and I had been dating for three years and my love for him extended way back into the second grade. He was easily my better half, but most importantly, he had been my brother’s best friend.

When my brother died shortly after his 16th birthday, I found myself alone and afraid. Mike saved me. And he continued to save me on a daily basis, at least, he did up until he decided to take that athletic scholarship at San Diego State. He would be living more than 15 hours from Corvallis Oregon, and in that respect, from me too. I knew that I would have to spend my junior year without him, without anyone really.

Until Tate Fox showed up.

And then from here the story starts with her in her car listening to a tape and talking on the phone with her boyfriend.

Last edited:

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I'm afraid I didn't see an original version, so I can't comment on improvement or not, but can't you start this in scene instead of back story? I personally started skimming once I reached the sentence that says, "When my brother died shortly after his 16th birthday. . ." I don't know the character yet, so, quite frankly, I don't care that her brother died. (Sorry if that sounds harsh.) Is this story about Mike or is it about Tate? If it is about Tate, then you have just opened your story talking about Mike. If it is about Mike, I think there are more interesting ways to introduce that information. Backstory is almost always a bad way to start a story.

roskoebaby

A little reworking. How's this?

When my boyfriend told me that he had been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. But I couldn’t. Oh sure, I smiled a lot and pretended to squeal and celebrate with his family, but inside, my heart was breaking.

Mike Matthews and I had been dating for three years and my love for him extended well back into second grade. He was easily my better half, but more importantly, he had been my brother’s best friend.

We shared so much, and truth be told, Mike took care of me. Well, at least he did up until he decided to take that athletic scholarship at San Diego State. He would be living more than 15 hours from Corvallis Oregon, and in that respect, from me too. I knew that I would have to spend my junior year without him, without anyone really.

Until Tate Fox showed up.
###

“You are a fierce and independent woman. You have the ability to carve your own path. You are special,” a soothing, yet robotic voice repeated.

“Total crap,” I said and ejected the tape from my car radio. The person reciting the mantra was obnoxiously calm and I smiled as I realized how much it reminded me of Irene. Irene, Mike’s mother, was a perfect, perky, real estate agent. She bought me the cassette tape at a yard sale, and although I give her credit for finding a cassette anywhere, I didn’t need a zombie telling me how special I was. I knew that Irene’s real motivation was to get me independent enough to break up with her son.

Sorry, lady. Not gonna happen.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, my suggestion is maybe that you can use this when you're querying agents so that they can be more aware about what's happening and what's going on, but I really liked how Broken started with the self-help tape in the car and the conversation with Mike. Then, after you get an agent, or maybe before sending a full, you can take out this intro. I can see how it could be needed for an agent because they can be really picky, but for the general reader I think you started perfectly before. You have the right amount of tension and give a good amount of information to keep the reader very interested in knowing what's going to happen (in my opinion). I would think that agents would see that, too, but it's hard to say.

Maybe you can wait until you get feed back on another partial or full. That one agent could just be, well, weird. (just being honest here, haha). I really don't see how they could completely hate your characters or anything and, to me, there was the perfect amount of backstory woven througout to keep it on my mind while not being too much.

But, it's always hard to say with these things...maybe if you took out the third paragraph? Since you say "he had been my brother's best friend" I think an astute reader might pick up that something's not right there. That fact should hold their interest, if chapter one couldn't (though, I don't know why it wouldn't...I still think that the agent was a little off......:Shrug:)

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, you just posted a revision as I typed my thoughts. I do like this revision. I think it says enough about her brother and leads into the story well and hopefully agents will think so, too. I still think you could probably leave it out for actual publication (because your other beginning works great, to me) but for agent hunting, this could be a great move.

roskoebaby

Oh, wow, you just posted a revision as I typed my thoughts. I do like this revision. I think it says enough about her brother and leads into the story well and hopefully agents will think so, too. I still think you could probably leave it out for actual publication (because your other beginning works great, to me) but for agent hunting, this could be a great move.

Thanks, reenkam. You've been an awesome help to me!!!!!

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I had with your original version (and by original I mean the very first one you put on the board before you started significantly revising) is that you tried to create tension via Tate. It didn’t work for me because I had no knowledge of who Mike was and I didn’t much care that Tate was interested.

I agree that you shouldn’t start out with this. However, you should try to work this in at least before you get to the phone call with Mike. It would make him sound less like a father figure (the other part I didn’t like) and more like lover/boyfriend.

roskoebaby

I took your advice, writermom. Better?

“You are a fierce and independent woman. You have the ability to carve your own path. You are special,” a soothing, yet robotic voice repeated.

“Total crap,” I said and ejected the tape from my car radio. The person reciting the mantra was obnoxiously calm and I smiled as I realized how much it reminded me of Irene.

Irene, my boyfriend’s mother, was a perfect, perky, real estate agent. She bought me the cassette tape at a yard sale, and although I give her credit for finding a cassette anywhere, I didn’t need a zombie telling me how special I was. I knew that Irene’s real motivation was to get me independent enough to break up with Mike, her son.

When Mike had first told me that he’d been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. But I couldn’t. Oh sure, I smiled a lot and pretended to squeal and celebrate with his family, but inside, my heart was breaking. Truth be told, Mike took care of me. Well, at least he did up until he decided to take that stupid scholarship at San Diego State.

And so now I'm stuck spending my junior year without him, without anyone really.

My cell phone vibrated in my pocket and I clenched my jaw and looked at the clock. I was already 10 minutes late for first period. I lifted my butt off the seat in order to wiggle the world’s oldest phone out of my back pocket. My Honda swerved to the right and I straightened it quickly, glancing in my rear view mirror.

“You’re going to get me killed,” I said into the phone and waited.

“Are you driving? Didn’t school already start?” Mike asked.

“Uh, huh.”

“Emily.”

“Well then why are you calling me if you thought I was in class?”
I couldn’t stop the huge grin from spreading across my face. Since Mike had gone away to college, I had become chronically late. Waking up with a hot guy at my door holding a steaming latte had been a motivating force that I missed. It had also been the reason I got up in the first place.

“I wanted to leave you a message,” he said.

“About?”

“Nothing, just that I love you.”

“Aw…”

“Be quiet. Are you at least parking?”

“Yep,” I lied. The Corvallis High School parking lot was still a few blocks away.

“I can’t believe you’re late again,” he began. “When I get back there you are
going to be in so much trouble.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“What kind of trouble, Mike?”

“Behave yourself,” he said and laughed.

“Am I naughty?” I teased. He didn’t answer but I knew how easily I could work him up. And I did so constantly, all with the hope that he would eventually do something about it.

“What are you thinking about over there?” he asked and then chuckled. “Nevermind.” He paused. “I don’t have time for a cold shower this morning, anyway. Go serve your detention, I’ll call you when you get home.”

Last edited:

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Some thoughts (please disregard if you don’t agree)…

I liked this:

Irene, my boyfriend’s mother, was a perfect, perky, real estate agent. She bought me the cassette tape at a yard sale, and although I give her credit for finding a cassette anywhere, I didn’t need a zombie telling me how special I was. I knew that Irene’s real motivation was to get me independent enough to break up with Mike, her son.

This wasn’t in the first version. That ups the tension and at least makes me think, if she has a boyfriend, why is she doing this “talky-talky” thing with Tate. Keep.

However, now you have way too much about Mike and you’re coming out of your present story.

My advice, keep the paragraph about the mom. That will at least set up the tension before we meet Tate. Then as the phone rings when you get to the Mike part move the rest of this there.

This part:
When Mike had first told me that he’d been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. But I couldn’t. Oh sure, I smiled a lot and pretended to squeal and celebrate with his family, but inside, my heart was breaking.

We had been dating for three years and my love for him extended well back into second grade. He was easily my better half, but more importantly, he had been my brother’s best friend. Truth be told, Mike took care of me. Well, at least he did up until he decided to take that stupid scholarship at San Diego State. He lived more than 15 hours from Corvallis Oregon, and in that respect, from me too.

And so now I was stuck spending my junior year without him, without anyone really.

BUT I would cut it in half (or more). There’s too much exposition.

Perhaps you could work it into the conversation instead of explaining it? Then the reader can connect with them as a couple.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and the most important part, move this Mike conversation completely. It was better when she met Tate first.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego! If I were going to be an athlete, and lived near Duck or Beaver territory, the Aztecs would be FAR from my mind!

:)

Is this your RD, or are you currently revising? If it is your RD, you may want to wait on your revisions until you story is finished. You never know how the ending changes the beginning. I am already thinking about the changes I will be making, and I am only 2/3 finished. (70k/120ish words)

Oh, and before any SDSU fans yell at me, I am an alumni, and I have been cheering for them even though they lose! (Which is often! hehe)

Last edited:

roskoebaby

Thanks, Turkey Lurkey! I originally had him going to CAL, but changed it to San Diego because it was farther away. The book has been done for months and everything works great except the first chapter. I don't know why. It has been a problem the entire time!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with writermom's #11 post.

I don't know how important it is to the rest of the story, but what about a prologue with her brother's death. Maybe her witnessing it. That way the reader can be a bit more emotionally involved with your MC and Mike. (Im just shooting in the dark here)

Last edited:

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Turkey Lurkey! I originally had him going to CAL, but changed it to San Diego because it was farther away. The book has been done for months and everything works great except the first chapter. I don't know why. It has been a problem the entire time!
I just wanted to say that, based on what I've seen of high school relationships moving to long-distance relationships, "far enough to strain/break the relationship" certainly doesn't need to be 15+ hours apart. Some couples break up over a distance of only 3 or 4 hours, just because they can't handle not seeing each other every single day-- so if there is a closer school that you think fits better, or that you'd rather use, I think it would still be quite realistic.

TWK

Registered
Reaction score
roskoebaby, I think the dialogue here is better than in the original, but some of the explanatory lines are worse and there's too much backstory that eats away at my interest. The great thing about your first draft was that there was little-to-no backstory—and that's a great thing. It keeps the story real. I saw your talent come through in that. Scrap all the backstory for later. Don't worry: The emotion is there without it. Again, your talent.

And keep this as your opening; it functions much more smoothly and funnily:

“You are a fierce and independent woman. People listen to you. You have the ability to carve your own path. You are special.”

“That’s crap,” I said and ejected the tape from my car radio.

The person reciting the mantra sounded like a stepford wife and I smiled as I realized how closely it resembled Irene. Irene, Mike’s mother, was perfect, perky, real estate agent. She bought me the cassette tape at a yard sale, and although I give her credit for finding a cassette anywhere, I didn’t need a zombie telling me how special I was. I think Irene’s real motivation was to get me independent enough to break up with her son.

"That's crap" is much "teener" than "Complete crap." Trust me. I say it all the time.

roskoebaby

What more could I possible do? I have added, subtracted and now I am leaving it like this. Thoughts?

BROKEN
Chapter 1
Meet Tate Fox

“Total crap,” I said and ejected the tape from my car radio. The person reciting the mantra was obnoxiously calm and I smiled as I realized how much it reminded me of Irene. Irene, my boyfriend’s mother, was a perfect, perky, real estate agent. She bought me the cassette tape at a yard sale, and although I give her credit for finding a cassette anywhere, I didn’t need a zombie telling me how special I was. I knew that Irene’s real motivation was to get me independent enough to break up with Mike, her son.

When I first found out that Mike had been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. And although I smiled and pretended to celebrate with his family, inside I was broken hearted. The simple fact was that Mike took care of me. I was completely and unabashedly dependent on him. He was doing a bang up job too; well at least he was until he decided to take that stupid scholarship at Berkley. Now I’m stuck spending my junior year without him, without anyone really.

My cell phone vibrated in my pocket and I clenched my jaw and looked at the clock, knowing that I was already late for first period. I lifted my butt off the seat in order to wiggle the world’s oldest and most useless phone out of my pocket. My Honda swerved to the right and I straightened it quickly, glancing in my rear view mirror.

“You’re going to get me killed,” I said into the phone and waited.

“Why is class dangerous?” Mike asked.

“Shut up.”

“I can’t believe you’re late again,” he said with a laugh.

“Do you call just to irritate me?”

“No, I knew you’d be late and I wanted to say good morning.”

I couldn’t stop the huge grin from spreading across my face. I could picture Mike laying across his dorm room bed, shirtless and glistening in sweat as he talked on the phone. Okay, he probably wasn’t actually sweaty, but he always was when I imagined him.

“Are you at least parking?” he asked amused.

“I’m walking up the steps right now,” I lied. The Corvallis High School parking lot was still a few blocks away.

“Really? Then how come I can still hear your engine over the phone?”

“No idea what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah, yeah. So what have got planned for me this weekend?”

“Besides gratuitously making out on my couch?”

He laughed. “You sure talk a good game from 10 hours away.”

It was true that I tried to work him into a frenzy every time we talked, but it was all in the hope that he would act on it in person. But alas, my boyfriend had the willpower of a saint.

“Alright,” he said. “I gotta get to class. Go serve your detention, and I’ll call you when you get home.”

“Don’t hang up, I’m almost there.”

“I thought you were walking up the steps?” He chuckled.

“I am.”

I tore into the parking lot and swerved into the closest available spot. I yanked up my emergency brake and the car shuttered to a stop.

“You’re such a liar,” he said as a compliment.

“Well, there were perfectly good colleges here in Oregon,” I replied. “If you would have stayed you could have brought me to school everyday.”

Silence.

“Again, Emy?” Mike said with irritation. “We’ve been through this, what, a million times?”

As usual, he was right, I did forever guilt trip him about leaving.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I don’t mean to keep bringing it up.”

“Over and over.”

“I miss you. I want you here.”

Mike exhaled and I leaned my head against my driver’s side window. It seemed that lately, all of our conversations ended with me wanting to cry.

“Hey,” he whispered. “I’ll be back for the weekend and look, you’ve made it these first four months. Only four more to go, okay?”

“Great. Four more months of listening to your mother’s self help tapes,” I said. Mike laughed and I traced hearts into the fog that my breath created on the window. Outside, the front of the dreary, gray building was deserted and I glanced between it and my fingers.

“I love you, Emy,” he sang, trying to cheer me up.

“I know. I love you, too.”

After we hung up, I shut off my phone and tucked it into my backpack. I opened my door with effort and climbed out, slamming it closed behind me. As I approached the school, I tried to imagine Mike again, with his soft blonde curls and his completely and unnecessarily hot muscles. But the pictures I wanted were no longer there. Instead I saw the image that had been haunting for three years, the one that never really left.

Mike’s face, contorted and pale, as he told me that my brother was dead.

Last edited:

TWK

Registered
Reaction score
This is great. As was said in the other post, Mike had a fatherly air about him, and you've successfully gotten rid of it while maintaining his guardian angel air. Kept my interest. Good job!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I think this is it. I had no problem with the first one, so much, but I do like how Mike's fatherly-ness was toned down here. I think it works very well and the whole passage definitely gives just enough to keep people interested without boring them or giving to much information. And, even though I know what happens, I'm still intrigued and interested in reading more. Again. :)

Also, thinking about it, I feel like this revision of Mike's dialogue is more in line with his dialogue later on. It's all very consistant now.

And I still think agents should be fighting for this.

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
100% improvement.

I would move this part (cut purple):
When I first found out that Mike had been offered a scholarship in California, I wanted to be happy for him, I really did. And although I smiled and pretended to celebrate with his family, inside I was broken hearted. The simple fact was that Mike took care of me. I was completely and unabashedly dependent on him. He was doing a bang up job too; well at least he was until he decided to take that stupid scholarship at Berkley. Now I’m stuck spending my junior year without him, without anyone really.

To just after:
“Again, Emy?” Mike said with irritation. “We’ve been through this, what, a million times?”

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, also, are you changing Mike's school?

Status
Not open for further replies.