Am I Writing YA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebenstone

Registered
Reaction score
My present WIP is the second book in an epic fantasy series that I've sort of described as "ASOIAF for Teens." I am a GRRM disciple and decided to see if I could do something of similiar struture and style as him, but write it for a teen/YA audience.

I've read quite a bit of YA fantasy, but I'm wondering if I've read enough because I am not sure if I am writing for YA/Teens. My protagonists are all teen aged 15-18 and kept the story very PG-13ish in tone.

I would say that my work is pretty similar to something like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but that is considered adult fantasy. But I also think it's similar to something like Hilari Bell or Stuart Hill's Cry of the Icemark.

So what detemines YA or adult?

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
usually the age of the MC, but not always. There has to be something for the age group to relate to. eg, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has adult characters, but is packed with humour and technological jokes - perfect for a male YA audience. I guess the reader has to be able to see something of themselves in what they are reading, whatever the age group or genre. If you think teens will get it, then you're writing for teens.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
usually the age of the MC, but not always. There has to be something for the age group to relate to. eg, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has adult characters, but is packed with humour and technological jokes - perfect for a male YA audience.
I'm not male and not YA and I still enjoyed it immensely...

Reaction score
I'm not male, not YA and definitely not grown up and enjoy reading everything. :D

greywaren

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely age of the MCs play a role, but there are fantasy cycles where the MCs start out YA age and then get older as the books progress, and they're shelved in adult.

Usually YA is a state of mind, not an age group. It's got to tackle the issues that YAs are tackling - obviously in a fantasy, they're not going to be Gossip Girls, but they will be going through some pretty heady psychological and emotional changes.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I figured out a good answer for everytime someone wonders if they're writing YA:

Q: Am I writing YA?
A: You better hope so.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi ebenstone--

The way you describe your work makes me think that you are writing YA. As others have noted, the age of your protag is an important factor, although Harry Potter somehow redefined the lines that were previously drawn between Middle Grade and YA. But, that's not your question. You want to know if your fantasy series is adult. With protags 15-18, I'd say you should define your book as YA. If adults chose to read it, that's great! Think of Pullman's DARK MATERIALS. It crosses the line. It is listed as YA, but many adults have read and enjoyed it. The most important thing is that you are able to tell an agent what audience your book was written for--YA in your case. Stick with it, and don't falter. An agent will be turned off if you state in a query that it could go both ways. Agents need to tell the editor they are proposing to that this book is YA or adult fantasy. If an agent accepts you, wants to work with you, he/she will advise you how to market it.

Good Luck,

ILS

ebenstone

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so far, the way I am "marketing" the story is as a YA series. I am up to writing a difficult chapter....it might have some implied sex in it. I've decided after I finish draft one of the second book, I am spending some serious research time (Tamora Pierce, Hilari Bell, William Nicholson,Phillip Pullman,etc) to see where I stand.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have sex scenes in my YAs. They're not described explicitly, but they're there. And they're in TONS of YAs.

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
Hi ebenstone--

The way you describe your work makes me think that you are writing YA. As others have noted, the age of your protag is an important factor, although Harry Potter somehow redefined the lines that were previously drawn between Middle Grade and YA. But, that's not your question. You want to know if your fantasy series is adult. With protags 15-18, I'd say you should define your book as YA. If adults chose to read it, that's great! Think of Pullman's DARK MATERIALS. It crosses the line. It is listed as YA, but many adults have read and enjoyed it. The most important thing is that you are able to tell an agent what audience your book was written for--YA in your case. Stick with it, and don't falter. An agent will be turned off if you state in a query that it could go both ways. Agents need to tell the editor they are proposing to that this book is YA or adult fantasy. If an agent accepts you, wants to work with you, he/she will advise you how to market it.

Good Luck,

ILS

Good advice. I'm a fan of Pullman's DARK MATERIALS so I fit that bill.

Would you consider the first Harry Potter middle grade? Harry is 11 in it. Does anyone think she sold the idea to Chris Little as YA or Middle Grade?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Good advice. I'm a fan of Pullman's DARK MATERIALS so I fit that bill.

Would you consider the first Harry Potter middle grade? Harry is 11 in it. Does anyone think she sold the idea to Chris Little as YA or Middle Grade?

I have no idea, but I'm super curious.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score

I'd consider the first HP upper middle grade, probably. But that might just be me...

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I think the first 3 Harry Potter books would fall under middle grade (upper middle grade, like reenkam said) rather than YA. Generally, with children's books, the MC's age is the deciding factor as to whether the genre is going to be MG or YA.

In my local B&N, the His Dark Materials series is shelved under MG and not YA. This makes sense, as Lyra's age ranges from 11 to 13 within the series.

If your characters are younger than 13, I'd advise against labeling your book as YA in your query letter. Saying something like, "(title) is a 50,000-word upper-middle-grade novel" would be fine.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
You can say older middle grade, too.

ebenstone

Registered
Reaction score
I think clearly its a marketing decision in some ways.

I think of something like The Wheel of Time series...all the protags are aged 17-18 in the first book. Tor tried to remarket them as YA a few years back by splitting the first 2 books into 4 books...and they did not change a word of either book. Then I think of some of the Wizards of the Coast books, that are generally shelved with Adult Fantasy but I think I would lean towards them being towards a teen market.

I am going to submit this series as a YA/teen series and if an agent feels its not for them because its actually adult (Hopefully its good enough to warrant a response such as that), then so be it.

But as I said, the next few months will be spent reading other YA fantasy to get my bearings when I rewrite.

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
I think the first 3 Harry Potter books would fall under middle grade (upper middle grade, like reenkam said) rather than YA. Generally, with children's books, the MC's age is the deciding factor as to whether the genre is going to be MG or YA.

In my local B&N, the His Dark Materials series is shelved under MG and not YA. This makes sense, as Lyra's age ranges from 11 to 13 within the series.

If your characters are younger than 13, I'd advise against labeling your book as YA in your query letter. Saying something like, "(title) is a 50,000-word upper-middle-grade novel" would be fine.

Those are good ideas. So is Tom Sawyer MG 'cuase of his age?

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same question.

It's a story about a 19 year old who gets lost in her new college life. I know that that part could be considered YA, but what about the fact she's involved with a married second grade teacher? Does that push it over the top???

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same question.

It's a story about a 19 year old who gets lost in her new college life. I know that that part could be considered YA, but what about the fact she's involved with a married second grade teacher? Does that push it over the top???

Nope. How about Teach Me? Or Stay With Me?

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
I tested my theory about my YA. 3 adults read it (of course, they liked it lol). Then I let a 12 year old read it, he wants his own copy like yesterday lol and I read it to 2 more kids 11 and 7(I think, she might have been younger lol).

My story could go either way but because of the innosense in the story and all the lessons it teaches, I wanted to stick with YA. It is being reviewed by a publisher now so I hope it was right. Now with the other genres, I'm confused because it is a mix of them lol. I intended it to be mysteries but there is fantasy and science fiction mixed in as well which all contributed with the pile of rejection slips. It's based on witches, a family of them. Written before Charmed and Harry Potter but yet so close to them its funny lol, plus Bewitched series which I guess inspired it a little.

Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.