Are you a shoe lover?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying on shoes for a wedding I'm going to on Saturday.

I can't seem to find a pair that look good and feel good. High heels look good but they are SOOOOOOO uncomfortable. And I hardly ever wear them so I'm not used to them and tip over easily when I wear them.

So, what kind of shoes do you like to wear?

Oh, and for fashion lovers, can you wear white shoes with a black dress or is that a no-no?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Hmmm, for a summer wedding I'd go with a strappy sandal having a "kitten heel" (a short, but dainty heel).

I would probably avoid the white shoes with a black dress. I'd go for something jewel-toned or metallic, maybe?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a pair that look good and feel good. High heels look good but they are SOOOOOOO uncomfortable. And I hardly ever wear them so I'm not used to them and tip over easily when I wear them.

Since comfort is a really big factor for you, have you tried a brand like Aerosoles? They make all kinds of really cute high heels now. Also, you might consider a wedge. They're not nearly as hard to balance in as a stiletto.

I am a shoe-whore. Seriously. I love Donald J Pliners. I love my Prada Mary Janes. *cough* I have a couples of pairs of Manolos and Jimmy Choos, but hardly ever wear them because they're so damn pretty.

But what do I wear day to day? Slides and sneakers. I am so pathetic.

Oh, and for fashion lovers, can you wear white shoes with a black dress or is that a no-no?

It depends on the look you're going for, and what color accessories you use. I love nude colored shoes with just about everything. Slingbacks.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
I'm a shoe lover, must own 77 pairs. I love heels because I'm short.

But this love relationship with shoes is one sided. Every new pair I buy give me blisters. I still buy them and wear them. Now that's love for you.

But what am I supposed to do? Can't walk around barefoot.

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Mmmm... Shoes... I love shoes. I have Prada taste, only I'm on a Payless budget, so aadams73, you better watch your closet - bwahahaha!

I'm 5'4", my husband's 6'2" so heels are a must. I love heels - girly strappy heels especially. And I love boots - I don't mind splurging on them because I know I'll have them for a loooong time.

My favorite shoes were a pair of Sam & Libby heeled sandals - I say were because my dog ate one a few years ago and they're a style that's no longer available - stupid dog. She's lucky to still be alive, although she doesn't go anywhere near my closet any more :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
With a black dress I'd likely go with a colored shoe, not white though it depends on what you're accessories are) if you have a colored accessory (handbag, jewelry, scarf, etc) then get a pair of shoes the same color as those.
a lot of jeweled and metallic sandals and slingbacks are out, and considering the time of season, should be pretty cheap or on sale to find the more open shoes.
a lot of lower heel styles are really cute and colorful, with a fun colored handbag and shoes, black can really be made fun.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I've never been crazy for them because I have a hard time finding good looking shoes that fit. I have a very wide foot, which means that the strappy, really cool shoes just don't fit.

EXCEPT, I recently found one shoe brand that makes such comfortable heels --in narrow, medium and wide widths! --that I think I will never buy a pair of dress shoes from another manufacturer every again. I own 4 pairs --2 of 'em are 3"+ --and every pair is a delight to wear.

Sofft is the brand. The bed of the shoe is padded so well that you can walk all day --no discomfort.

Some stores, like Nordstrom, carry them but I find the best avail online. Try zappos.com or shoedawg.com (no sales tax, no freight and no cost for return freight if you don't like). The fall line is coming out and they look awesome tho they haven't been avail to purchase yet.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
White shoes with a black dress is usually a no-no - even worse with black hose - unless you're wearing something extremely trendy and that's part of the "approved" look. I did have a black dress with teensy while polkadots once and I wore it with a pair of white spectator pumps trimmed in black - that worked pretty well (neutral or no hose).

I am in love with these new shoes I got at Brighton:

qitynan_blk2_sm.jpg

And while grabbing that photo I found these (also Brighton) - would that work? lower heel, dressy and since it's a slide in, probably comfy.
qitosca_blk2_sm.jpg

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I love me some shoes.
However the
Gob Wham, Fluting DESIGNERS refuse to believe that women wear size 10 and up...

so even if I were NOT on a Payless budget...

(YooHOO!!! PAYLESS...You need to stock more than 5 pairs each in 11's....I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!!!)

I couldn't finds the shoes.

AND:
No white shoes with a black dress unless the dress is black and white and you are wearing a white or silver belt , and you accesorize with a black and white purse.
However, I've seen a few very nice pairs that are white but with black piping trim..or black with white piping.

HERE: www.newport-news.com
Their shoes ALWAYS fit me and they are always comfortable. They are their own brand.

PS. The clothes are HOT too. They are my closet.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The closest I can find to what the dress looks like is THIS:

dress.jpg

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a shoe nut. I've been able to buy some sweet designer shoes at TJ Maxx for not too much money. The problem with stores like that, however, is that you can't go in looking for something specific, you just have to grab what's out there.

Sadly, ever since I quit my day job to become a writer, most of my shoes have just been languishing in my closet while I wear the same two pairs of sandals day in and day out.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
SHOES.

My favorite brands are Dollhouse, Rocket Dog, Irregular Choice (too expensive, though), Chinese Laundry, Tribeca...

These are probably too teenager-ish for you, though. Payless and DSW usually have great sales where you can buy shoes to your heart's content, though.

I love shoes. Shoes are amazing. Heels, especially, because I'm so short. Heels come in handy. Buy a pair for every occassion!

Heehee. All of my heels have a 3 inch heel or higher. :p

As everyone has said, white shoes with a black dress are a no-no. Try a gold or silver metallic, and wear the appropriate jewelry. Don't try to coordinate your bag or belt, though. Shoes/bags/belts should be complimentary colors, not matching colors. You match with the jewelry and embellishments on said shoes/bags/belts.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some stores, like Nordstrom, carry them but I find the best avail online. Try zappos.com or shoedawg.com (no sales tax, no freight and no cost for return freight if you don't like). The fall line is coming out and they look awesome tho they haven't been avail to purchase yet.

Can't order online. The wedding is day after tomorrow. I need them pronto.

And while grabbing that photo I found these (also Brighton) - would that work? lower heel, dressy and since it's a slide in, probably comfy.
qitosca_blk2_sm.jpg

I can't wear any shoe with a pointed toe. I need lots of toe room. The ideal for me is Mary Janes, I guess you call them. A low black shoe with a strap across the middle. Nobody has them in the stores I've been to.

And as for sandals, they are putting all of them away in stores I've been to. Now they have the fall shoes out.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Oh, and if you go the strappy sandal route, don't forget the pedicure!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
ah, too bad - there's one rounded open toe shoe on the same page - but it probably isn't right either.

Try looking in a trendy younger age section of a department store's shoe department - I seem to recall a lot of Mary-Jane type shoes in Brass Plum at Nordstroms last time I shopped. The younger girls love 'em.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Teehee!! Actually I've been lucky in the past, right place right time, when a really good sale is going on. And...DSW, baby! That place is awesome for shoes. When my baby sister was over here visiting, she walked away with a killer pair of Shelli Segal wedges. The price? $12, down from nearly $400.

I'm 5'3 and my husband is just under 6', so yeah, heels are a must for me too.

Hmm... I think there's a DSW in Watchung, which is only about 40 minutes away. I might have to go get me some of them shoes....

jersey guy'll flip. he's a total guy with his "why do you need fifteen pairs of black shoes?" **sighs and shakes head** he soooo doesn't get it.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
jersey guy'll flip. he's a total guy with his "why do you need fifteen pairs of black shoes?" **sighs and shakes head** he soooo doesn't get it.

I had to break it down into relevant categories to explain it to my husband:

strappy black (summer and winter)
funky black (summer and winter)
comfy black (summer and winter)
black casual sandals
black casual boots
black dressy boots (ankle and knee heights)

On second thought, maybe it's better to leave 'em guessing.

davids

Banned
Reaction score

Not unless your first name is Minnie

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Oh man, my sandals stink so bad at work today. It's raining and they got funky. My cube smells like old cheese. I need new shoes.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com

I was just saying today that I think white shoes ought to be outlawed, except tennis shoes that is.
White pumps are dated, in my opinion.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...

No white shoes. I get it. No Minnie Mouse look.

I FOUND SOME SHOES!!!!

They are perfect. They're black. Not too much heel, not too flat. They have a strap. I can wear them without falling over. And they were on sale for half price.