Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
Hello,
I am writing a nonfiction book on scholarships, based on my expertise in the scholarship industry. I have a publisher and the book is expected to be released in July 2007. I have been doing workshops such as "Scholarship Boot Camp" or "Scholarship Success" for 7+ years and I have my own website and blog. I created all of this content on my own and will draw from it when writing the book.

Here's the question: for the book, my target readers are parents and high school students. Some of these folks have asked me about podcasts and electronic materials. Immediacy of information is very important to them. If I create podcasts, teleseminars or worksheets, based on the book, (which were based on my own ideas) do I need permission from my publisher to quote my own material? This seems ridiculous but I'm not sure. Of course, I can ask my publisher but I don't want to embarass myself just yet.

Any advice on this subject?

Thanks,
Kim

Deleted member 42

If you assign copyright to your publisher, then yes; if you retain the copyright, then no.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
You can ask your publisher without embarrassing yourself. All you have to do is talk to them about how they intend to promote the books. Explain that you think it would be a good idea to do podcasts, seminars, etc. I'd suspect that at worst, the publisher would agree to it (rendering the IP question moot); at best, they might pay for it!

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. My contract clearly states that my publisher will "take all reasonable steps to secure copyright in the name of the Author" but I also assign them "the right to publish in any and all forms included but not limited to extract, book club, etc." I acknowledge and understand all of this if it's other people who want to reprint the information but it's not really clear what happens if I want to use excerpts in other formats. I guess I'll just ask them.

Thank you,
Kim

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
You obviously don't want to quote the entire book, because then no one would buy it, but your ideas should help with the promotion if you go through with them. Talk to the publisher. They won't think any less of you if you ask. I expect they'll be pleased to hear the audience is interested in it and I believe they'd help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.