Rankin's view of female crime writers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well I like both these writers, so...

Seems to me like he said it as a joke. Most Scots have that dry sense of humour that makes people think, "Did they mean that? Nah, they had to be joking..."

Between the two, I prefer Rankin's novels so his comments, whether offensive or (as I believe) a joke, won't stop me reading.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
tongue in cheek, man.

Reaction score
I don't think lesbians have a sense of humour. :poke:

Joke, man. Please don't kill me. I'm Scottish. It's my piss-takey sense of humour.

I'll get my coat.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

Joke, man. Please don't kill me. I'm Scottish. It's my piss-takey sense of humour.

I'll get my coat.

My original title for this thread was 'Rankin hates lezzies' but I thought better of it.

Probably is a joke or at least a facetious comment. Trouble is people are always ready to be offended.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

I'll get my coat.

Tell me if I called you a lesbian you wouldn't get your tongue in a knot.

Reaction score
Well, I'm not a lesbian but that doesn't stop me doing interesting things with my tongue.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Well I like both these writers, so...

Seems to me like he said it as a joke. Most Scots have that dry sense of humour that makes people think, "Did they mean that? Nah, they had to be joking..."

Between the two, I prefer Rankin's novels so his comments, whether offensive or (as I believe) a joke, won't stop me reading.

If it takes that long to figure out that it's a joke, is it still funny?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I like both McDermid and Rankin, but I'm not sure that Rankin's comment was intended to be making a jibe at lesbian/female crime writers so much as it was a personal observation that lesbian writers seem to write violent books. However, I do agree with McDermid's point about how women writers get asked that question about how they feel about writing violence because it's not something I've seen asked of a male writer.

MM

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I write horribly violent material when it fits the situation and characters. Am I lesbian? Newp. I just happen to have an overly active imagination and I like to picture every part of a gory scene including feelings and reactions so I can portray them as real.

I'd be interested to know if his statement has any truth to it, though. Does he go around researching all the female writers or is it a guess?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rankin

But is he right? People jump on comments when they should be checking out the truthfulness of the comments.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Saying someone "can't take a joke" is a an age-old cop-out when you offend someone and neither want to admit that you were wrong nor stand behind your words or opinions. Humor is not a free pass for being a narrow-minded, misogynic bigot. If you believe something, believe it. If you think something to be true, defend it. If you think you might be wrong or mistaken or want to actually broaden your perspective outside and be able to understand the world outside your own limited experiences, then work to do so. But don't take potshots at people and then, when they get offended say, "It was just a joke." That's weak and lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.